IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

In terms of HA being 

5 hours ago, Aatos said:

Was gonna come post the same thing. Heritage Auctions having been actually sued for shill bidding in the past doesn’t really increase my trust in this sale being legit..

As I recall, they were sued for it by someone who owed Heritage over half a million dollars from a joint venture gone wrong and the court threw out the guy’s lawsuit because he had no actual evidence. Leaving that information out of the video and letting the “Heritage was sued” hang out there is kinda gross.

1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

Im just here to say Mario 64 isnt even close to the best game ever, and this whole thing is stupid. 

Good for you for taking a rube for 1.5 though, or whatever you get after taxes and heritage fee ( if this is true, you offered no actual proof)

Feel free to look me up on IG, same name. The game, amongst others, is on my page. I’ve also been a member here a decade, dating back to NA, and have not really been known to weave tales about selling games for millions of dollars, but I understand your skepticism.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
7 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Some fun…theories in this thread, but the sale is real and being paid for. How do I know? I am the seller. No, I did not shill it up or have anyone else do so. The Zelda was also mine and is being paid for. I didn’t shill that either. 

Given where collectibles are, and have been, for the past 24 months, I don’t think it’s terribly shocking Mario 64 could hit a million, though I admit the Mario still went beyond all expectations hitting 1.5. I thought it COULD be the first million dollar game if two people wanted it enough, but 1.5 was beyond my wildest dreams. 

In terms of price, just for perspective, PSA 10 Charizards and Jordan rookies go for between 200k and 300k at the moment. There are I believe 122 PSA 10 Charizards and like 325 PSA 10 Jordans. Right now, there are only a few WATA graded 9.8/A++ Mario 64s and maybe you could hit another 6-8 from VGA crosses if they hit perfectly (WATA is harsher on N64 boxes than VGA). So maybe you could get to 10ish with known commodities? That’s nothing in the world of collectibles. 

Mario 64 is also arguably the greatest game ever and hits the nostalgia period perfectly for bitcoin-aged folks and many celebs. 

Given timing on the market (where it is in growth) and these factors, I am not surprised it was the one to break the million barrier, though again I did not at all think it was a certainty and I never would have anticipated 1.5. 

Happy to answer any questions I can :).

Congrats man, I don’t understand the hate at all, towards you, the buyer, Wata, Heritage or anyone else involved in the transaction. I think it’s pretty damn cool to see the hobby that I love take off to crazy new price heights. I’m not into sealed collecting, so it really doesn’t affect what I’m looking for. I also think it’s crazy that you only started collecting sealed stuff 2 years ago, after being in the scene a decade plus just like me. Makes me wish I would’ve had the foresight to jump in, even after I said I was too late 8 years ago!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Feel free to look me up on IG, same name. The game, amongst others, is on my page. I’ve also been a member here a decade, dating back to NA, and have not really been known to weave tales about selling games for millions of dollars, but I understand your skepticism.

Ive actually dealt with you years ago on NA. I have no reason to doubt you, nonetheless The super high price still seems like a scam to me. Like the buyer has a case fresh graded set ready to sell, bid this first one to the moon and profit!

Mario 64 is barely culturally significant, other than being a decent 3d game. It has far less actual game collector value than a first print mario or zelda, yet went for a million dollars more?

but who cares what I think? Let all that money in your account help you sleep at night. 

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, doner24 said:

Congrats man, I don’t understand the hate at all, towards you, the buyer, Wata, Heritage or anyone else involved in the transaction. I think it’s pretty damn cool to see the hobby that I love take off to crazy new price heights. I’m not into sealed collecting, so it really doesn’t affect what I’m looking for. I also think it’s crazy that you only started collecting sealed stuff 2 years ago, after being in the scene a decade plus just like me. Makes me wish I would’ve had the foresight to jump in, even after I said I was too late 8 years ago!

Part of the reason I stopped coming to NA and here is so many threads devolved into class warfare crap. The first six years I was a member of NA, I did not collect sealed games, but I never ever understood why so many people who did not went out of their way to shit on people who did. I mean who cares? Focus on the positivity of doing what you love, not the negativity of bashing others who do it differently.

Thanks very much for your kind words btw!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Some fun…theories in this thread, but the sale is real and being paid for. How do I know? I am the seller. No, I did not shill it up or have anyone else do so. The Zelda was also mine and is being paid for. I didn’t shill that either. 

[Why would you admit to shilling an auction and to engaging in criminal activity in print online? What proof is there that this was paid for and legitimate?]

Given where collectibles are, and have been, for the past 24 months, I don’t think it’s terribly shocking Mario 64 could hit a million, though I admit the Mario still went beyond all expectations hitting 1.5. I thought it COULD be the first million dollar game if two people wanted it enough, but 1.5 was beyond my wildest dreams. 

[Actually yes, it is indeed very shocking.]

In terms of price, just for perspective, PSA 10 Charizards and Jordan rookies go for between 200k and 300k at the moment. There are I believe 122 PSA 10 Charizards and like 325 PSA 10 Jordans. Right now, there are only a few WATA graded 9.8/A++ Mario 64s and maybe you could hit another 6-8 from VGA crosses if they hit perfectly (WATA is harsher on N64 boxes than VGA). So maybe you could get to 10ish with known commodities? That’s nothing in the world of collectibles. 

[How long have those markets been established? Where are you getting your numbers from on high grade Mario 64s? Not every person that has a sealed mario game posts all over IG or facebook.]

Mario 64 is also arguably the greatest game ever and hits the nostalgia period perfectly for bitcoin-aged folks and many celebs. 

[Disagree but okay fine.]

Given timing on the market (where it is in growth) and these factors, I am not surprised it was the one to break the million barrier, though again I did not at all think it was a certainty and I never would have anticipated 1.5. 

[Again, I think everyone that is not heavily invested or speculating on sealed games IS surprised. $10/15k to $1.6M in 7 months is absolutely unheard of and the reasoning that you have offered is not very convincing. There is no identity of bid history and the buyer has not been identified. So again, I do not think it is unreasonable for questions to arise.]

Some feedback to your points above in brackets. Hey, all the power to you. I don't think it is unreasonable for folks to question the sales. It is nothing personal against you. I actually appreciate you chiming in.

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.
  • Thanks 1

Moderator · Posted
3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Mario 64 is barely culturally significant, other than being a decent 3d game. It has far less actual game collector value than a first print mario or zelda, yet went for a million dollars more?

That’s what I initially thought, I grew up with the NES first and would consider the same games you mentioned above the “true grails”. I tried to think about it from someone else’s point of view, someone younger than myself who’s first system was the N64 and it made sense to me. There are a lot of younger people that have made a ton of money the last few years on collectibles, crypto, stock, real estate, etc…. to where a couple of million isn’t crazy for a purchase. 

11 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Ive actually dealt with you years ago on NA. I have no reason to doubt you, nonetheless It still seems like a scam to me. 

but who cares what I think? Let all that money in your account help you sleep at night. 

Barely culturally significant? Boy, would I disagree. It’s the first mainstream 3d game of all time, and some consider it the best Mario game ever. It’s a very popular Twitch game for speed runs, as well, so it stays fresh in the mind of many. It’s very, very popular in the bitcoin generation.

Anyway, I can’t control what you or others think, and trust me I understand your skepticism, but I only know what I know from my end. I have been told the buyer is iron clad, was vetted, and payment is incoming. If that changes, obviously I will say something. It would really suck lol.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

Me looking at this thread be all like: 

Oh My God Wow GIF

Congrats to you @ExplodedHamster! I hope the money does come through! Remember to check out my sales thread in my signature, but I AIN'T cutting you no deals you can afford it! 😛 😉

Whoever just bought that Mario 64, well, I mean... Good luck? If the next one comes up for even CLOSE to that price I will be astounded, based upon what we know about the availability of this particular title.

4 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Barely culturally significant? Boy, would I disagree. It’s the first mainstream 3d game of all time, and some consider it the best Mario game ever. It’s a very popular Twitch game for speed runs, as well. 

Anyway, I can’t control what you or others think, I only know what I know from my end. I have been told the buyer is iron clad, was vetted, and payment is incoming. If that changes, obviously I will say something lol.

I would think it was too if I sold it for 1.5m 😂

just disagree that its that much MORE important than the test market mario, or Zelda. 

Now Im curious how much the auction fees and taxes end up being.

Moderator · Posted
6 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Barely culturally significant? Boy, would I disagree. It’s the first mainstream 3d game of all time, and some consider it the best Mario game ever. It’s a very popular Twitch game for speed runs, as well, so it stays fresh in the mind of many. It’s very, very popular in the bitcoin generation.

Anyway, I can’t control what you or others think, and trust me I understand your skepticism, but I only know what I know from my end. I have been told the buyer is iron clad, was vetted, and payment is incoming. If that changes, obviously I will say something. It would really suck lol.

I hope someone like Jake Paul is the buyer, and he wears it around his neck on the way to the ring during his next fight. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doner24 said:

That’s what I initially thought, I grew up with the NES first and would consider the same games you mentioned above the “true grails”. I tried to think about it from someone else’s point of view, someone younger than myself who’s first system was the N64 and it made sense to me. There are a lot of younger people that have made a ton of money the last few years on collectibles, crypto, stock, real estate, etc…. to where a couple of million isn’t crazy for a purchase. 

Ive seen my fair share of young tech investor bro douche bags blow big money on nonsense and it makes sense when you put it like that. But mario 64 probably sold millions of units. It might be rare In that condition, but the game is self is not that rare. 

40 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Well then, first and foremost a big congratulations to you and your family on this unreal transaction. I do remember you being a member on NA and being a stand up guy.

I guess, I look pretty darn silly now with my conspiracy theories and have to eat crow. My sincere apologies to you and I will be the first one to say sorry to HA and WATA, if this is indeed true.  Coming from you, I do believe it.

On a side note, I just have to say wow! I am completely stunned that these sales are legit sales. I feel like a fool for being so wishy washy (back and forth with my thinking), so my sincere apologies to everybody for that. I really was just baffled by the sale.

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I hope someone like Jake Paul is the buyer, and he wears it around his neck on the way to the ring during his next fight. 

As I mentioned previously if this or someone similar IS the case, I will take back my previous disavowal. I would truly RESEPCT if a real game fan bought this game, and they were proud of it and it wasn't just a cynical financial pump.

It STILL wouldn't be worth 1.5 million, I would still say they MASSIVELY overpaid. But I would be happy to see a GENUINE and heartfelt reason for the purchase, not just shady hype peddlers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Some feedback to your points above in brackets. Hey, all the power to you. I don't think it is unreasonable for folks to question the sales. It is nothing personal against you. I actually appreciate you chiming in.

Nothing against me, you are just accusing me of multiple felonies lol. I got no issues with people questioning the sales, but there’s not much I can do to combat these baseless claims, so all I can do is say believe what you will. 

You realize there are massive buyer and seller fees on Heritage, right? So I’m paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to shill auctions that garner crazy media attention and make me a target? 

Well, again, I’m sorry you believe that, but it is what it is. There were also plenty of other games that went nuts that were not mine, but  again that won’t prove anything to you or anyone else. My hope is that the buyer, whoever it is, comes out and says something, but I cannot control that. 

I’ve been a member here a decade and member of forums other places for a long time as well and generally tried my best to treat people with respect and courtesy. The pervasive negativity and speculation has made it difficult to continue, but I have made a number of good friends along the way and enjoyed the ride nonetheless. 

I am sorry you think I have set up some underground shill bidding cabal with Heritage or whomever, but I hope very much you have a pleasant day.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

42 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Hi ExplodedHamster. I'm sure you're a well enough guy but you don't need to try and convince anyone of the sale's legitimacy. It actually looks more suspicious when you do that. lol

Anywho, congrats on the new mini-yacht.

Edited by inasuma

People frown on money being thrown around because until recently, this hobby was relatively cheap, compared to others.  Now the game they want, they cant get because some fly by night person swooped up some game for more than it was for the current market and helped raise the price.  At least thats how I see it, else they wouldn't care.  Most of those people aren't into sealed stuff anyway, I also think they're turned off by the avarice of some, and the idea of 'investing' with the idea of buying it now, and selling it later.  Not to own out of love.  I think its silly whats going on, but ultimately it doesn't affect me because I got all the stuff I wanted anyway.

Now give me 10k because I love Maniac Mansion. @ExplodedHamster

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I would think it was too if I sold it for 1.5m 😂

just disagree that its that much MORE important than the test market mario, or Zelda. 

Now Im curious how much the auction fees and taxes end up being.

Oh , no way is it more important than the test market Mario or, say, a TM Zelda. But if either of those sold at auction now, I think they’d go Mike Trout-level bonkers. 

1 minute ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Nothing against me, you are just accusing me of multiple felonies lol. I got no issues with people questioning the sales, but there’s not much I can do to combat these baseless claims, so all I can do is say believe what you will. 

You realize there are massive buyer and seller fees on Heritage, right? So I’m paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to shill auctions that garner crazy media attention and make me a target? 

Well, again, I’m sorry you believe that, but it is what it is. There were also plenty of other games that went nuts that were not mine, but  again that won’t prove anything to you or anyone else. My hope is that the buyer, whoever it is, comes out and says something, but I cannot control that. 

I’ve been a member here a decade and member of forums other places for a long time as well and generally tried my best to treat people with respect and courtesy. The pervasive negativity and speculation has made it difficult to continue, but I have made a number of good friends along the way and enjoyed the ride nonetheless. 

I am sorry you think I have set up some underground shill bidding cabal with Heritage or whomever, but I hope very much you have a pleasant day.

Not accusing you of anything or making any claims. I made an observation that of course someone wouldn’t openly admit to shilling. What claims? I don’t think it is unreasonable for people to ask questions when something like this happens. It’s actually healthy. There’s nothing personal. You openly volunteered questions and I asked questions lol. 

1 minute ago, inasuma said:

Hi ExplodedHamster. I'm sure you're a well enough guy but you don't need to try and convince anyone of the sale's legitimacy. It actually looks more suspicious when you do that. lol

Anywho, congrats on the new mini-yacht.

I understand, but there are people accusing me of some serious shit. I should ignore it, I know, but find it difficult at times to do so.

Just now, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Not accusing you of anything or making any claims. I made an observation that of course someone wouldn’t openly admit to shilling. What claims? I don’t think it is unreasonable for people to ask questions when something like this happens. It’s actually healthy. There’s nothing personal. You openly volunteered questions and I asked questions lol. 

Ah ok, I misjudged how you were making the points lol. My answers content-wise remain the same. I understand the skepticism and wish I could do more to address it, but there’s really not much I can. Like I said, I truly hope the buyer reveals himself at some point. I have no clue who it is.

Just now, ExplodedHamster said:

Ah ok, I misjudged how you were making the points lol. My answers content-wise remain the same. I understand the skepticism and wish I could do more to address it, but there’s really not much I can. Like I said, I truly hope the buyer reveals himself at some point. I have no clue who it is.

No worries. I appreciate you taking the time to address the sales. 

9 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Well then, first and foremost a big congratulations to you and your family on this unreal transaction. I do remember you being a member on NA and being a stand up guy.

I guess, I look pretty darn silly now with my conspiracy theories and have to eat crow. My sincere apologies to you and I will be the first one to say sorry to HA and WATA, if this is indeed true.  Coming from you, I do believe it.

On a side note, I just have to say wow! I am completely stunned that these sales are legit sales. I feel like a fool for being so wishy washy (back and forth with my thinking), so my sincere apologies to everybody for that. I really was just baffled by the sale.

Please do not apologize, what is happening right now in collectibles is objectively insane lol. Trust me, I pinch myself and I don’t understand the extent of my good fortune either. 

I will say, given how crazy collectibles have gotten, I am glad to see video games putting up a fight. They are probably more culturally significant than almost all of the others.

(I also understand collectors not liking the attention for games, but I fall on the side I appreciate it from a collector’s standpoint)

Edited by ExplodedHamster