IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

47 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I've decided to hang on to my 3DS games, and I'm going to double down on the games that annoyed series fans. I've avoided certain games for a while since I've only heard bad things about them, but I'm realizing that those are the games I should be looking for to find games I like.

So the games I'll want to pick up include...

Kirby Battle Royale
Pokemon Sun
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (Which connects to the Wii U game, so I was going to want it regardless)
Hey! Pikmin
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Kid Icarus Uprising (Which would be interesting as it'd challenge my own bias for the first two Kid Icarus games)

Pokemon Sun/Moon are unfairly maligned in my opinion. I honestly thought they were better than X/Y by a lot. S/M has one of the best and more developed stories in the whole series, and the villains aren't just an afterthought like in X/Y or Sword & Shield.

People latched on to the "no gyms hurrrr" rhetoric and didn't really give it a fair chance, but if you go into it with more of an open mind, I think you'll enjoy it.

Edit: Also, you've convinced me to give Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash a shot. I've had the game + amiibo bundle since launch but never played it. I'll also back up your opinion on MiiTopia. It's certainly more fun when you put in the time to make Miis who are relevant to your life or likes.

Edited by Philosoraptor

2 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Pokemon Sun/Moon are unfairly maligned in my opinion. I honestly thought they were better than X/Y by a lot. 

If you go into it with more of an open mind, I think you'll enjoy it.

I go into every game hoping to like it, so I'll give it a fair shot. I've never actually played the game yet, but I've heard a lot of the complaints people have with it. I want to finish up my first playthrough of X first though, which I'm really enjoying. I gave up on Pokemon after really disliking Black/White, so going back to the series has been really fun for me.

2 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I go into every game hoping to like it, so I'll give it a fair shot. I've never actually played the game yet, but I've heard a lot of the complaints people have with it. I want to finish up my first playthrough of X first though, which I'm really enjoying. I gave up on Pokemon after really disliking Black/White, so going back to the series has been really fun for me.

Haha. The DS gens killed off my love for Pokemon for a bit, too. In my case, it was Diamond and Pearl. I sadly never played Platinum at the time, which fixes a lot of the pacing issues that make Diamond and Pearl so. very. sloooooooooow.

X/Y is honestly what got me back into it, and the games just get better and more unique from there. I just bought Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, so I'm hoping that redeems the DS versions on some level.

I've been a fan since I got Pokemon Red for my birthday, and I've played most of the games they've released, spin-off or otherwise. There's always some people whining about some feature being in or not being in a game, but that's what makes Pokemon games as unique as they are. If you can ignore the noise, there's a lot of fun to be had in the Pokemon franchise.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Lynda Monica said:

I've decided to hang on to my 3DS games, and I'm going to double down on the games that annoyed series fans. I've avoided certain games for a while since I've only heard bad things about them, but I'm realizing that those are the games I should be looking for to find games I like.

So the games I'll want to pick up include...

Kirby Battle Royale
Pokemon Sun
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (Which connects to the Wii U game, so I was going to want it regardless)
Hey! Pikmin
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Kid Icarus Uprising (Which would be interesting as it'd challenge my own bias for the first two Kid Icarus games)

Echoes is great.  Changes up a lot of things that Fates and Awakening did to keep things fresh.

I liked Triforce Heroes quite a bit too.  Granted it's designed to be played cooperatively, and it's hardly the second coming of Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, but even solo I enjoyed it.  

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

After finally getting around to playing Etrian Odyssey 1 I fell in love with it right away, and immediately went out and ordered the second and third game as they were climbing in value and, unlike the first much cheaper game, they were import exclusives. 

Then pretty much the next god damn week, Atlus announces a value pack including *all three games*, each CIB bundled together, and indistinguishable from their original releases, available at a discount 😭

Good for everyone else, but such a waste of money for me. Given this re-release, I'm actually surprised that they've supposedly gone up again since then. *

That said, I still prefer the first game to the next two, with number 4 coming in second 🙂

*) Edit:  oh jesus holy shit

I could give you a nice hefty list of “oh shit” moments for pricey DS games. So many of them are hitting $100-200+ CIB. It’s insane

• Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Makar said:

I could give you a nice hefty list of “oh shit” moments for pricey DS games. So many of them are hitting $100-200+ CIB. It’s insane

I traded my sealed Solatorobo to @RH for $100 worth of NES games and $60 cash.  Figured I had no use for a sealed game and I could always get it CIB later.

So much for that!

I also sold my sealed Flower Sun and Rain last year, dumped my Super Robot Taisen for pennies... yeah...

Everyone has quite the different pokepinion. I really enjoyed black and white, and x and y were solid too, but sun and moon and onward is where it fell off for me. Really hoping scarlet and violet reel the series back in for me. I suppose if you don’t like red and blue you won’t like black and white since that’s like a spiritual successor in many ways with very similar copies in tons of the evolutionary lines. 

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I traded my sealed Solatorobo to @RH for $100 worth of NES games and $60 cash.  Figured I had no use for a sealed game and I could always get it CIB later.

So much for that!

I also sold my sealed Flower Sun and Rain last year, dumped my Super Robot Taisen for pennies... yeah...

@RHis a nice dude. I’m sure he’d cut you a nice deal. Maybe $300 of NES and $120 cash for solatorobo lol. 

Big RIP for you. 

Every freaking time I look up a DS game I’m like holy crap it goes for THAT now???? Todays holy crap moments were looking up Atelier Annie, and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. Go on. eBay search them and have that oh crap moment. 

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The powers of hindsight.  Why didn't I buy in bulk!  And what Switch games should I be hoarding.

Also, I guess 999 was the free game, not Solatorobo.

Screenshot_20220620-171813.png

Screenshot_20220620-171859.png

Screenshot_20220620-172028.png

Hopefully you still have the others on this list? Don’t tell me you had zombie bbq and got rid of that too

Oh you can revisit anything on 3DS or DS now, that's what flash cards are for with micro-sd cards slotted into that.

Buying games now unless you can find a pre-2020 (preferred +5 years back) style price, it's really just not worth it with the prices unless you're largely a die hard collector.  Reading the comments in the recession crash games? thread tips off why really, because the investor type situations there you'll be buying at a loss and it'll crack sooner or later, and for now it would need to really ramp up a lot more to even break even.  It's a bad time to buy at given faux values.

If you want EO so bad, just get a bootleg off aliexpress or get a flash kit and throw it on there and ignore the pig party entirely.  Whether you do that or just download it and stuff it on a hacked system, it's all vapor anyway, and if you're fine with that do it.  I'm largely not, so what I find I get, what I don't I do without as it's just not smart or sustainable.

The prices have kept me holding onto (largely) a DS and 3DS setup I haven't touched in I don't remember how long, and the dozen ish games I have on each largely aren't the cheap ones so the pricing toxicity is a factor why.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Whether you do that or just download it and stuff it on a hacked system, it's all vapor anyway, and if you're fine with that do it. 

3DS continues to be the easiest system to hack. The hshop is open for business you can download games straight by scanning a QR code. It's unreal. 

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So much for that!

Duuuude, I can never remember who I got that game from but yeah…. Brock Landers = Reed Rothschild. 😜

Yeah, I appreciate.  It’s in excellent shape and I’ve thrown it out as trade fodder from time to time, but every time no one bites I’m usually glad.  I’m not in this hobby for cash but hey, there’s nothing wrong with holding on to high dollar trade fodder you have no emotional attachment too.

I also think that’s a good one to get now if you do want to speculate a little. PriceCharting had a problem for a long time.  They were marking all CIB copies with a “sealed” OST as a sealed copy of the game.  I use to report these but for over a year they never did anything about it. This artificially suppressed the price because people use PriceCharting to list their BINs on eBay.

Anyway, they seem to have mostly fixed their algorithm in the last couple months and the price is creeping up fair sealed copies.

23 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

3DS continues to be the easiest system to hack. The hshop is open for business you can download games straight by scanning a QR code. It's unreal. 

That's definitely good to know.

I admit as much, if I didn't have still like all my Nintendo hardware and a backlog, I could totally see exploiting that as I could sink the proper time into it to be worth my efforts.  For now, it's a comfort it exists for anyone who wants, and guards against crappy eshop game drops from licensing spats and other garbage fire behavior (like when the wii/ds stuff got pulled into the ether.)

Time to dump my 3DS lists as well. Alphabetical order since I'm too lazy to rank my games. The 3DS is definitely one of my favorite systems, to the point I've been running out of deep cuts and starting to look into imports.

Games I've beat:

1. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD
  2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  3. Bravely Default
  4. Bravely Second: End Layer
  5. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  6. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
  7. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  8. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
  9. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  10. Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
  11. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  12. Ever Oasis
  13. Fantasy Life
  14. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  15. Fire Emblem Fates
  16. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  17. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
  18. Kid Icarus: Uprising
  19. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
  20. Kirby Planet Robobot
  21. LBX: Little Battlers eXperience
  22. Luigi's Mansion
  23. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  24. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey
  25. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  26. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
  27. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
  28. Mario Golf: World Tour
  29. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  30. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  31. Monster Hunter Generations
  32. Monster Hunter Stories
  33. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  34. Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
  35. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  36. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  37. Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
  38. Pokémon Sun
  39. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
  40. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  41. Pokémon X
  42. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
  43. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
  44. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  45. Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
  46. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
  47. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
  48. Rune Factory 4
  49. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  50. Stella Glow
  51. Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
  52. Style Savvy: Trendsetters
  53. Super Mario 3D Land
  54. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
  55. Super Smash Bros.
  56. Sushi Striker: The Way of the Sushido
  57. Tales of the Abyss
  58. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  59. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
  60. Yo-Kai Watch
  61. Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Spectres
  62. Yo-Kai Watch 3
  63. Yo-Kai Watch Blasters: White Dog Squad

Games I'm in the process of beating:

• Culdcept Revolt
  • Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Games I've yet to start:

• Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy+
  • The Alliance Alive
  • Atooi Collection
  • Bit. Trip. Saga
  • Chibo-Robo! Zip Lash
  • Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon
  • Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  • Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
  • The Legend of Legacy
  • Mario Sports Superstars
  • Persona Q 2
  • Project X Zone 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
  • Shovel Knight
  • Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
  • Fragrant Story

Games I need to get:

• Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
  • Project X Zone
  • Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
  • Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns

Games I might get:

• Code of Princess
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Fossil Fighters: Frontier
  • Hey! PIKMIN
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Miitopia
  • Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Story of Seasons
  • Yoshi's New Island

Games I'd only get for collection purposes/if they were mega cheap:

• Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars
  • Final Fantasy Explorers
  • Langrisser Re: Incarnation - Tensei
Edited by greenthunder
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Gave it some thought and came up with a top 30 of DS/3DS titles combined.

I wanted to make it a top 50, but then we're getting into somewhat middling territory like Wario Ware Touched, Kirby Mouse Attack, or NewSMB. There are a lot of interesting games on these platforms which otherwise aren't worth highlighting as top games imo. Games like Radiant Historia or Henry Hatsworth always get touted like these kinds of overlooked gems, but they are pretty crappy games if you actually try to play them. 😛

So yeah, I could definitely not possibly fill a top 50 with 3DS alone, though I do have a few of them still in my backlog.
The sorting of this list is very vague btw. I could very easily favor Starfox over Advance Wars depending on my mood.

Red: 3DS
Blue: DS
Grey: Port or multiplatform title that I don't feel really adds to the platform's overall weight for this reason.
(Substantial remakes and new localizations get a pass)

1. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  2. Contra 4
  3. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  4. Super Mario 64 DS
  5. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  6. Final Fantasy IV Remake
  7. Dragon Quest VI
  8. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  9. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  10. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  11. Etrian Odyssey
  12. Etrian Odyssey 4
  13. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  14. Advance Wars DS
  15. The World Ends With You
  16. Retro Game Challenge
  17. Super Mario 3D Land
  18. Zelda: Phantom Houglass
  19. All the Ace Attorney games
  20. Etrian Odyssey 2
  21. Etrian Odyssey 3
  22. Dragon Quest V
  23. Dragon Quest IV
  24. Ghost Trick
  25. Kirby Super Star Ultra
  26. Starfox 64
  27. 999
  28. SMT Strange Journey
  29. Dragon Quest IX
  30. Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time

Also a few honorable mentions to Orcs & Elves, Prefessor Layton, Dragon Quest 7 who didn't manage to join its brethren, and Mega Man ZX which I enjoyed a lot the first time I played it, but hated the second time around.

I also managed to take a scary look into my backlog on both platforms, which is big enough to fill a couple of years of @Reed Rothchild's Backlog Challenge on its own.
Though here's pretty much the cream of it, ie. the titles in my backlog that I figure have at least a small chance of entering the top 30, or a future top 50:

• Dragon Quest Rocket Slime
  • Bomberman DS
  • Bomberman Story DS
  • Custom Battler Bomberman
  • Bravely Default
  • Chrono Twins
  • Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
  • DQM Joker
  • Etrian Odyssey 5
  • Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  • Flower Sun & Rain
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • Legend of Legacy
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Metal Slug 7
  • Metroid Samus Returns
  • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
  • Pang Magical Michael
  • SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked
  • Solatorobo
  • Okamiden
Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Wow, how dare you say Radiant Historia is overrated 😜, it's one of my favorites.

Once again, no particular order. Some of these could probably shift with the honorable mentions on a given day.

• Luigi's Mansion 2 - I do think this is mildly overdisliked, but I might be biased since I didn't play the original LM before playing 2 and I personally didn't mind the mission based structure.
  • Etrian Odyssey V - To be honest I don't know which of the 4 games I've played I like the most since they're all great, but I'd probably put IV and V a bit above 1U/2U since the formers' subskill systems aren't as painful.
  • Fantasy Life
  • Radiant Historia (Perfect Chronology)
  • Rune Factory 4
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (+ Bowser Jr.'s Journey)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
  • Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Never played a AA so can't comment on the court cases (though I feel like I'd probably enjoy the series), but the puzzles are a bit weak. Game makes up it with being super charming/comfy though.
  • Bravely Default - The one section is controversial, but I personally didn't mind it (though definitely agree it could have been executed better)
  • Stella Glow - Enjoyed this way more than I expected going into it

Honorable mentions:

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3D  - One of my favorite games of all time, but probably better off playing it elsewhere
  • Tales of the Abyss - Very good plot, just annoyed the pacing falls off a cliff in the 3rd act and there's a ton of important backstory locked behind limited time sidequests.
  • Fire Emblem series
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
  • Super Mario 3D Land

Also I feel like I'm the exception here with having a DS collection that's smaller than my 3DS collection. Not that I have anything against DS games, I just decided on focusing on one so I can dream of clearing my backlog one day (and also being priced out already lol).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Makar said:

Everyone has quite the different pokepinion. I really enjoyed black and white, and x and y were solid too, but sun and moon and onward is where it fell off for me. Really hoping scarlet and violet reel the series back in for me. I suppose if you don’t like red and blue you won’t like black and white since that’s like a spiritual successor in many ways with very similar copies in tons of the evolutionary lines. 

Truly (about the pokepinion, but that's not a bad thing). I love Red and Blue, but the two Black and White games are the only mainline ones I actually haven't played through. I own them, so they will be played one day. 

I'll hope Scarlet and Violet will be what you've been looking for. I'll be excited to see what they do with it as well. I haven't looked much into it to avoid spoilers, but I'm hoping for a more polished and finished experience than Sword and Shield, regardless of what direction they take it in. I felt like, even though the game was a lot of fun, the rushed ending outed that they very much ran out of time.