IGNORED

Game Debate #58: Donkey Kong Country

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I almost gave it a 10, but I feel 9 probably fits better.  This game still holds up well today, including the graphics in my opinion.  Fantastic gameplay, level design, and especially music.  This game was a big deal for me when it came out and I still love it today.  I've beaten it many times, but I've never bothered to try and 100% it.  I should give that a go sometime.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

8/10, varied levels, decently challenging, secrets all over, obviously the graphics and music. When @Optomon counts down the top 50 SNES tracks, I'm sure Aquatic Ambiance will be on it. My only issues are it's a little loosey gooesy like most 16-bit platformers which isn't my favorite and the bosses are pretty worthless besides K. Rool.

Also sometimes I have to play as Donkey Kong when I get hit as Diddy Kong 🙄

• Like 1

I don't know why but this my standard test cartridge.  I get a SNES in a lot? Plug in DKC.  When I got my gcomp?  Plugged in the SNES and pulled DKC.  When I tossed the GComp and plugged in the Extron matrix, plugged in the SNES, which already had DKC in it!

I did not grow up with this game, and in the late 90s my buddy let me borrow his SNES.  This and Link's Awakening are the only two games I ever beat on a SNES back then.  I can't say it's my "favorite" SNES title, or even platform but there's something about it that's just so playable.  Every time I have a reason to test a system or setup, I often find myself playing this game for at least 15-30 minutes.  It's just a really tight, solid, good game.

• Like 1

I love how it's two different games: pure run'n'gun if you just want to get to the end (or speed-run or whatever) for action fans, and tons of secret/bonus areas if you're the exploration/100% completionist type.  And when it came out in 1994, the graphics absolutely blew me away... for realz!

• Like 2

I had to go 10/10, if King K wasn't enough of an indicator. I think I've played it through to completion upwards around 50 times. Never gets old, and only takes about an hour to beat. A lot of it is nostalgia. We used to rent an SNES console (when that was still a thing) and this game when I was 8. DKC1 is my all time favorite, but the Christmas I'll never forget is opening up DKC2 in '95.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, DefaultGen said:

8/10, varied levels, decently challenging, secrets all over, obviously the graphics and music. When @Optomon counts down the top 50 SNES tracks, I'm sure Aquatic Ambiance will be on it. My only issues are it's a little loosey gooesy like most 16-bit platformers which isn't my favorite and the bosses are pretty worthless besides K. Rool.

Also sometimes I have to play as Donkey Kong when I get hit as Diddy Kong 🙄

I'm surprised your score is so generous haha - Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land are games I immediately think of when you always bring up that "mascot-era" issue of having no idea what stage-elements you can or can't interact with.

I'm always falling off platforms in this series because I can't figure out where they start or end. That's not to say Super Donkey Kong isn't fun, though. It's really fun.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I'm surprised your score is so generous haha - Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land are games I immediately think of when you always bring up that "mascot-era" issue of having no idea what stage-elements you can or can't interact with.

I'm always falling off platforms in this series because I can't figure out where they start or end. That's not to say Super Donkey Kong isn't fun, though. It's really fun.

-CasualCart

I never had that issue with DKC, but I completely understand where you are coming from with games like Earthworm Jim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

I liked it more than I remembered. I had to play through DKC1 again during VGS survivor. I’m all about validating my strong opinions but it’s a pretty great game.