IGNORED

Game Debate #58: Donkey Kong Country

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

On 7/25/2021 at 4:07 PM, sg17 said:

DKC is repetitive and boring. The graphics are amazing of course, but that's all it has.

DKC2 on the other hand is a masterpiece. DKC3 is also great. The DKL's are also solid. Only the first installment mediocre-ish.

Sorry ppl, I know now everybody here is going to hate me. Just deal with the truth lol 🤷‍♀️

are you implying DKL1 > DKC1

what

On 7/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, MagusSmurf said:

are you implying DKL1 > DKC1

what

Yep. And the reason is that it's the same game just shorter. The main problem I had with dkc1 is that after like 1/3 of the game it feels like the same thing again and again. But I like to complete games, so it felt like a "chore". I guess it's a non-issue for ppl who don't have the completion ocd.

6 hours ago, sg17 said:

Yep. And the reason is that it's the same game just shorter. The main problem I had with dkc1 is that after like 1/3 of the game it feels like the same thing again and again. But I like to complete games, so it felt like a "chore". I guess it's a non-issue for ppl who don't have the completion ocd.

You mean you weren't playing it curious as to what the next levels would look like and what sorts of neat graphical tricks it might have?  That was the main appeal for me back in the day (you know before there was Internet/YouTube where you could cheat and just look up what the levels and maps look like?).

Not to mention this particular part of this particular song/tune totally ROCKS 🙂 

PS: Don't forget the game's soundtrack was just as if not more famous than the graphics...I mean how many video games back then even bothered offering selling the soundtrack???

• Like 1

It’s not the same game. DKL1 has entirely different level layouts as well as a large number of new level themes, enemies, and obstacles. Even putting graphics and sound aside (though DKL1’s graphics are certainly a shining example of doing something because you can instead of because you should), the physics and scrolling are substantially worse. I’m not sure it’s even shorter. Only 4 worlds instead of DKC1’s 6 but I’m 95% sure DKL1’s worlds have considerably more levels.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

It’s not the same game. DKL1 has entirely different level layouts as well as a large number of new level themes, enemies, and obstacles. Even putting graphics and sound aside (though DKL1’s graphics are certainly a shining example of doing something because you can instead of because you should), the physics and scrolling are substantially worse. I’m not sure it’s even shorter. Only 4 worlds instead of DKC1’s 6 but I’m 95% sure DKL1’s worlds have considerably more levels.

Of course it's not literally the same. I meant "the same" as in "very similar".

And you are right that the are more levels in each world. In total it makes 40 (dkc) vs 34 (dkl) levels including bosses, which is less a difference then what I expected.

Maybe the levels themselves are shorter? I dunnon, just my personal experience with each was that dkc dragged on and on and on... and on the other hand dkl was pretty nice.