IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #12: How Important is E3 to you?

SilverspoonGaming

E3 is huge and I hope it never goes away again, but just like with the NFL draft, I get super hyped up for it and start watching it just to get bored and read the reviews after the show is finished.

If I ever had the chance to attend E3, I would go in a heartbeat, but I dont know how much fun it would really be if I was there since I get bored in the comfort of my own home trying to watch it.

I feel like theres less big moments that have the crowd cheering loudly like the big PS1 price announcement did, or when a new Halo is announced.  The fact that Sony isnt participating is a killer for me, but as a lover of all systems, it wont totally deter me, but trying to find the live stream sometimes is a pain.  I think YT and Twitch are the best options.  It was better when it was hosted on Spike TV.

Double edged sword for me, it's cool to hear about new releases but they are always like 5 years from actually being released and they either get cancelled or end up being a disappointment. 

I'm hoping to get something good about series x or ps5 because buying them, even at retail, seems like a waste of money so far for me. 

Up until I guess maybe a decade after I went to my last one which would be now 9 years ago I cared, a lot.  It was fun, I missed not being able to attend anymore, so I would suck in the conferences for fun on the systems I cared to own, and then I'd read up stories and look at clips after they hit the net as the nerdgams online would throttle a mean buffer issue usually.

Now though I mostly don't care.  If you look at what I got in the last year or two of Switch games, MOST of them are popular downloads LRG (primarily) put onto physical media I wanted and since they delay so horribly in general they're more like nice surprises when they bother to ship something.  Around that, I got a couple gimmes where someone did me a favor or the other way about karma returned a title, and then the rare I made the effort (Pokemon Snap) or got a gift.  I get hyped when I have the game and play it, but I don't get all worked up mentally anymore over it.  THis year I may a bit, as I've known of that Switch Pro/Plus whatever for over a year, dumbass virus delayed that one, so I want to see the true specs and its performance and I will be grabbing that.

In all knife into the back fairness, a good bit why I stopped getting worked up, Nintendo themselves, the disgusting WiiU... ginned it up so well, but self-sabotaged that into a suicide by release few if any outside of the industry saw coming as it broke my trust.  When that was gone I didn't give a damn what was coming, other than for my older stuff or my 3DS anymore and that went for years.  That system alone did some damage, Wii a bit too given how much we got b-team franchise releases and skipped stuff too I stopped caring what was coming up until it arrived, if I wanted it.

@Mega Tank In a way, yes it kind of is.  20 years ago despite the media coverage starting to pick up, you were stuck with some awful low quality for so many dialup users REAL Player quality clips, some 3megapixel images from the media, and then the glory pics taken by the studios handed out they'd scan to use which was kind of about it other than words.  Back then it very much was great, a DIsneyland of video gaming news one time of year really, the hype was insane...as were the guys loving the booth babes.

Today though, if I forget my lack of interest compared to then, and pretend I'm that age once more I know deep down I wouldn't get as excited as much either.  Why?  Too many leaks and data mining jerkoffs ruining stuff.  The companies used to have a pretty hard lockup on stuff, so until it hit the floor, we just didn't know so the surprises were epic depending on the system, accessory, or amazing game(s) someone would drop on the floor as it was like a magicians reveal.  Also todays media, the only advantage left to the general public of E3 anymore, hands on game time, most stuff on the floor is playable as some form of beta if not finished/near finished product that'll come out anytime between June to December which was great.  You can enjoy the HD/4K level images and audio with it now online, but you can't play it.  If they started streaming a way for people to test this stuff, or adding every bit of those demos on peoples systems, E3 would be utterly irrelevant to the masses and only be good for PR/meet ups as a trade show for employees.

I'm pretty sure 1995-1996 was the last time I cared.  Back then it seemed like a magical wonderland of video games.

By the time I could afford/even consider going, the whole thing turned into one big magazine/website writer circle jerk. Now it's all about games & systems I have no interest in playing.

If I really want to OD on nerdy stuff, I can always go to a comic convention.  They are closer, and I can go to multiple ones if I want.

There was a time where I was excited for what new stuff would be announced, and going to the US to represent the gaming outlets I was writing for at E3 was one of my biggest dreams.

That's a long, long, long time ago, now. I haven't had any interest in E3 at all for well over a decade or more.
Sure, there might be some interesting announcements, but it really feels like that just coincides with the event rather than being a product of it. The bulk of it is business talk and empty hype. Stuff that I as a consumer should have absolutely no reason to care about. The majority of footage shown is scripted cutscenes saying nothing about the games in question, because the show is about selling yourself and getting attention, not about catering to people with an actual interest in video games.
And the stuff that gets the most attention is always known franchises, sequels, and so on, so this is rarely the place where you'll hear about actually new interesting stuff.

The Devolver Digital videos have been funny, though.

15 years ago I watched every press conference, argued about it online, and got excited with friends. Unless there’s something really new and exciting in games, a 4D console or something, I have way more than enough to play so don’t really care what’s coming out beyond some Nintendo stuff. 

Edited by DefaultGen

I got to go in 2005 and im glad I did. At the time there were so many playable unreleased games on the floor to try. It was also the 360 and ps3 year so everyone was super hype. Got to play 360 and feel the controller months before release, Zelda twilight princess: I waited 4 hrs on the last day to play, totally worth it. So much networking and parties, met a bunch of Xbox people, played halo 2 with Bungie dev team (woah they good).

Last few e3's we try to make it a lil at home event, watch the clip reels here and there, still paying attention but it sure has changed.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1

I think I'd enjoy going even if I'm not a modern gamer, other than for the Switch.  Even that is largely indy stuff now and titles that appeal to my retro senses.

Regardless, I don't find E3 personally "important" but I do always find it a neat event to check in because I like to see tech demos of cutting edge graphics for consoles and PCs.

When these gaming studios show off new games, they are often running their games at peak hardware render performance.  I always enjoy being wowed by the advancement in real time graphics improvements even though that's never enough to motivate me to buy a $3,000 gaming PC with 2-3 $1,000 monitors.  The wow-factor wears off fast, and there are plenty of old games that are just as fun, if not more, than the 99% that are new.

It hasn't been important to me since probably around the GameCube/XBOX/PS2 era.  I will listen to the news after the show, but don't get hyped about it anymore.  

I actually miss the old days of the CES and the video game industry trying to gain respect for the new medium at that type of show.  Plus, more stuff to see and get hyped up other than video games.  They should just go back to CES.  😄

Seems the trend here is that the show quality really dropped off around the middle 2000s.  And I think it's kind of a fair statement.  Around then to now so much has been lost to data mining wankers, fake 'rumors' dangled to get people talking that aren't fakes, every company wanting to pre-one up each other releasing more info a head of time, and finally just how the media is now secrets are so few and far between.  You mix it all together and it's fairly hard to find a way to get hyped or have something dropped that creates real hype, not manufactured hype much like a laugh track on a sit-com.

It's kind of sad, but like I said in that other post, without having them just shove all that E3 floor stuff on each systems e-shop to try out as if you were there as a virtual E3, it's kind of pointless other than for industry types to pat each others backs and the media kissing up to each space to get virtually the same story.

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I cant find anything good to watch live for E3 this year.  I gave up and Im going to watch review shows on YT when its over with.

PS: I just watched a recap for the Xbox event on Gameranx, I know they are annoying as hell, but the stories they featured really made me want a Series X badly.

Haven't really cared much about E3 since 2006 or 2007. But I decided to watch the E3 2021 Streams yesterday and today, and uh...other than Mario + Rabbids 2 and the Ninja Turtles being in Brawlhalla, I can't really think of much else that I think is good or even decent so far. i might play Sea of Thieves someday, since it's from Rare. But watching that footage just made me wish Rare could develop games for Nintendo systems again, and I couldn't help but say in the chat that Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo should've been released for GameCube instead of Xbox 360. The inclusion of Jack Sparrow doesn't make me more interested in the game. 

Yesterdays Stream was kind of boring...especially the walking, flying, and boat riding. I'm sure Nintendo's day on E3 is going to be the best, and I'm looking forward to the reveals. But I could easily watch Nintendo Directs or find out about these games on various gaming websites, so E3 isn't all that important to me anymore.

Edited by MegaMan52

When is Nintendo doing their direct style event they've done yearly for awhile now?  I'm not going to waste time on a lot of this, just don't care anymore really.  But I want to see what Switch/Pro has in store through the year.  I'll peek at anything else, if it hits PC too to consider if I'll wishlist it for later on steam.