IGNORED

Goldin Auctions Video Game Consignment Director Introduction & NEW AUCTION - I'm here to help & make us all money!

18 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oh My God Reaction GIF

Ohhh... no way... it's almost like exactly what we were all saying when the first one sold, oh wow... who could have seen it coming??? I'm totally shooooooockeddddd. 🙄

Hey now, you can't help but doubt it when people say that there are LOTS and LOTS of copies out there, known and unknown, of one of the most popular, massively produced games for the system!  Why WOULDN'T those be far and few between!  Next you're going to tell me that EVERYBODY that bought an NES had a copy of Super Mario Bros.!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Serious question to @Jared_Goldinauctions, why schedule two Mario 64's head to head in the same auction? If there is a preference for one copy over the other, won't the underbidder eventually just settle on one and let the high bidder sneak off with the other for less than they would otherwise?

You're kind of diluting the bidding pool with two basically identical copies selling at the same time, IMO. If I had consigned one of those two Mario 64's I'd be pretty pissed, tbh, might even pull it entirely if I truly believed it to be worth over a million dollars.

Except that 95 and 9.8 A++ are not the same thing. There have already been examples of 95+ SM64s not crossing well into WATA.  There is no guarantee when it comes to crossing over into other grading services. 

I think by Goldin placing the 9.8 A++ as the #3 lot, they’ve clearly chosen the most valuable of the two. 

1 hour ago, blarky said:

Can you please source, or give more details of these 95+ SM64's crossings?

Sure.  Unfortunately, I need to protect my sources.  I realize it sounds cloak and daggery, but it’s their personal story to tell and not mine.  You can also read others’ crossing stories in this very forum where things didn’t work out as hoped. Of course that’s not always true.  That’s the nature of the objective system that grading is. Sometimes the needle slips past where it should be or just doesn’t quite hit the mark, and the next grader has to grade what they see.  WATA has 2 separate grades. One for the seal and one for the box. VGA doesn’t have that kind of breakdown in their 100 digit scale.  Those two grading scales sometimes just don’t line up the way you’re expecting. 

However, I urge anyone considering on bidding on the VGA in hopes of a successful crossover to fully understand the risk involved. 

Edited by Ricky Winterborn
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky Winterborn said:

However, I urge anyone considering on bidding on the VGA in hopes of a successful crossover to fully understand the risk involved. 

Wait, so you're telling me that I SHOULDN'T be parking more than a million dollars worth of investment capital in a highly graded copy of Super Mario 64? I won't hear of such nonsense! 😅

• Haha 2

I'll be interested to see what these graded Mario 64s go for relative to each other and also compared to the $1.5m sale. I would personally be surprised if the WATA copy goes for anywhere close to the last sale (even over 500K)... but we'll see. I would have never ever expected that $1.5m sale so really tough to gauge. I wonder if someone from Heritage or the big sale will bid it up to try and continue the pump.  

From what I've seen grading is pretty subjective and anything from an exact science. Lots of examples of people re-grading the same game from the same company or crossing over from VGA to WATA and receiving both better and worse grades. VGA always seemed odd to me how quickly quality changes right at the 85 mark. I've seen 85+ that look great and others that have very glaring flaws. WATA definitely appears to be more lenient with their grades but that will result in an overall diminishing trend over time and would undercut the value of a truly gem-mint graded game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Right now, all these listings have zero bids. Maybe if the minimum bids began at $.99 cents, it would gain traction.

9 hours ago, blarky said:

This will be very interesting to watch:

VGA 95 Super Mario 64 vs WATA 9.8 A++ Super Mario 64  , going head to head in the same auction.

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT109334.aspx

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_N64_Nintendo_64__USA___Super_Mario_64__Sealed-LOT107330.aspx

I personally feel a VGA 95 is nicer than a WATA 9.8 A++.  But maybe the market prefers the WATA 9.8 A++?  It will be fascinating to see how it unfolds.

If each listing ends with 1 bidder, I have no doubt GA will claim an "error" in the listing. As it is written here at #16 Errors. It would be nice to get a good deal savings though.

11 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

Right now, all these listings have zero bids. Maybe if the minimum bids began at $.99 cents, it would gain traction.

The auction wasn't actually open until today. The listings were visible as a preview. Bidding opened today. The WATA SM64 is up to $120k (last I checked), VGA one doesn't have a bid yet.

• Wow! 1

Just now, Gulag Joe said:

No bids on the VGA game and it's arguably in better condition. This might be the auction where we find out that Wata is more desirable than VGA, similar to PSA>BGS.

Well, it's complicated a bit because there are no WATA 10 SM64s out there so far as anyone knows, and likely not much chance of one happening, so a 9.8/A++ is likely the highest WATA grade SM64 you can get. But we know 95 is not the highest VGA grade; we know there's at least one 95+ out there. So, it's the highest WATA graded copy of the game versus the second highest VGA graded copy of the game, which isn't a fair comparison.

Also, you've gotta think that WATA vs. VGA calculation is kinda...subject to change over the short term. 😛

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

The auction wasn't actually open until today. The listings were visible as a preview. Bidding opened today. The WATA SM64 is up to $120k (last I checked), VGA one doesn't have a bid yet.

I realized my mistake this morning but was to lazy to log on and correct it. The way I read it, from 18 days there was "x"  hours left, not full 18 days left. 

1 bid on the nice VGA copy so it's at least going for $75K if the sale goes through. Honestly, I think it's in WATA and Heritage's best interest that the VGA copy also does well and doesn't fall well short of the WATA copy. It would obviously be good for future profits but also to show that there is potentially legitimate support for these prices and it isn't completely being propped up by insiders and collusion.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

1 bid on the nice VGA copy so it's at least going for $75K if the sale goes through. Honestly, I think it's in WATA and Heritage's best interest that the VGA copy also does well and doesn't fall well short of the WATA copy. It would obviously be good for future profits but also to show that there is potentially legitimate support for these prices and it isn't completely being propped up by insiders and collusion.

Oh, there's always more idiots dude! LONG ol' line of dumbasses ready to throw their money away! 😉

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Damn that Mortal Kombat for SNES already up to $36K after starting at $4k.

Yea I don't get the hype on the SNES version. I understand SNES has a bigger nostalgic demand compared to Genesis, but that game on Genesis was the rage and they have gone up for auction way more infrequently than the SNES version and have sold for much less. No MK1 Genesis in the Goldin Auction either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnimalHouse said:

Payment questions for Goldin Auctions:

1. Auction Rules > 3. Buyers Premium: If you pay with crypto currency, its 0.5% only or 20% + 0.5%?

2. Why is crypto cheaper than paying with credit card?

3. Why don't GA accept Paypal?

So unlike Heritage they also have a 20% BP but it's not visible in the prices? Lol what a joke.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Yea I don't get the hype on the SNES version. I understand SNES has a bigger nostalgic demand compared to Genesis, but that game on Genesis was the rage and they have gone up for auction way more infrequently than the SNES version and have sold for much less. No MK1 Genesis in the Goldin Auction either.

Gotta go big and get that arcade cab graded.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2021 at 2:35 PM, Ricky Winterborn said:

Sure.  Unfortunately, I need to protect my sources.  I realize it sounds cloak and daggery, but it’s their personal story to tell and not mine.  You can also read others’ crossing stories in this very forum where things didn’t work out as hoped. Of course that’s not always true.  That’s the nature of the objective system that grading is. Sometimes the needle slips past where it should be or just doesn’t quite hit the mark, and the next grader has to grade what they see.  WATA has 2 separate grades. One for the seal and one for the box. VGA doesn’t have that kind of breakdown in their 100 digit scale.  Those two grading scales sometimes just don’t line up the way you’re expecting. 

It’s not always the difference in subjectivity between the grading companies. A mark down in grades when regrading (VGA to WATA) can occur with micro-wear during the transitioning of moving between one acrylic encasing to another. The other factor can be from the handling at WATA prior to regrading. 

If you turn it around and try to regrade a WATA 9.8 A++ to VGA, I think it would be quite hard to get that VGA95 score. All theoretical of course, but just pointing out other variables to consider.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GPX said:

If you turn it around and try to regrade a WATA 9.8 A++ to VGA, I think it would be quite hard to get that VGA95 score. All theoretical of course, but just pointing out other variables to consider.

I agree, but it (probably) really depends on what type of game you're talking about. 

Anything modern or with a plastic/jewel case ... yes I would guess it at least has a fighting chance to go from WATA 9.8 A++ to VGA 95.

NES/SNES/N64 (cardboard boxes)... totally different story.  My thumb in the air guesses:

• NES -> basically 0% chance. 
  • SNES ->  possible but extremely unlikely
  • N64 -> slightly better than SNES odds