IGNORED

Goldin Auctions Video Game Consignment Director Introduction & NEW AUCTION - I'm here to help & make us all money!

1 hour ago, inasuma said:

oh cmon dude

Well, it's worth being at least a LITTLE sceptical when there are MILLIONS of dollars on the line. 

We know WATA are SOFT on their grading already, they grade high for games with tears in the seal and FRUIT FLIES stuck to them... They also charge MORE for games of higher values with their liability fees.

They were already incentivized to grade high, even before this sale... But now they are also owned by a company that owns an auction house which will also profit DIRECTLY from sales of HIGHLY GRADED video games?! 😵

This conflict of interest is worth pointing out, frankly, and I am more than happy to do so. There is no LAW against what they are doing, so they could easily do that and get away with it. So it needs to be called out in the court of public opinion, and questioned and discussed publicly. That is all I am doing. You are welcome. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

they grade high for games with tears in the seal and FRUIT FLIES stuck to them...

we need a wata memes thread lmao

i was going to write some long reply about how i see your point and i was just pulling your leg about being dramatic before but the fruit flies comment really caught me off guard 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

Well, it's worth being at least a LITTLE sceptical when there are MILLIONS of dollars on the line. 

We know WATA are SOFT on their grading already, they grade high for games with tears in the seal and FRUIT FLIES stuck to them... They also charge MORE for games of higher values with their liability fees.

They were already incentivized to grade high, even before this sale... But now they are also owned by a company that owns an auction house which will also profit DIRECTLY from sales of HIGHLY GRADED video games?! 😵

This conflict of interest is worth pointing out, frankly, and I am more than happy to do so. There is no LAW against what they are doing, so they could easily do that and get away with it. So it needs to be called out in the court of public opinion, and questioned and discussed publicly. That is all I am doing. You are welcome. 😊

The fruit fly is less a grading thing and more a QC, as the fruit fly was in the blister not the game lol. That was a VGA 85+ crossover. The scuffing you see is also on the WATA case, not the game. Scuffing on their cases has definitely been an issue. It got an 85+ because there was a tiny perforation in the cello. Otherwise, it was minty.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

57 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The fruit fly is less a grading thing and more a QC, as the fruit fly was in the blister not the game lol. That was a VGA 85+ crossover. The scuffing you see is also on the WATA case, not the game. Scuffing on their cases has definitely been an issue. It got an 85+ because there was a tiny perforation in the cello. Otherwise, it was minty.

There are PLENTY of examples of games with teared cellophane and other obvious ware getting high grades. WATA is a soft grader, everyone knows it, and it's in their best financial interests to be so.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I sent minty games to vga in 2012 and they came back as 85. Needless to say I was a little annoyed at the robbery they were trying to pass off. These were case fresh games, one of which had 2 very light scuff marks on the back that were only noticeable if you tilted it in the light a certain way. The other game was flawless. I eventually crossed over and they came back 9.8s. I feel like vga was overly harsh on grading back then because I sent in some games last year to vga that were NM and came back 85 as well. The conditional differences between the games I sent in 2012 to the ones I sent last year were very noticeable. It seems that vga has relaxed their standards a bit, but if anyone got vga graded games back in the early days and might have the same feelings I did about the grades, send them to wata.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

There are PLENTY of examples of games with teared cellophane and other obvious ware getting high grades. WATA is a soft grader, everyone knows it, and it's in their best financial interests to be so.

I think VGA was historically overly tough. As stated above, few people want to participate in a market where beautiful stuff is getting an 85 or 85+. VGA’s biggest problem is, and always has been, its scale itself and its overly harsh grades. 

I do think WATA’s seal grades have been too lenient, but recent orders make me think they’ve gotten significantly tougher, especially on newer generation stuff. Probably for the best. VGA, conversely, has loosened up a bit. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I sent minty games to vga in 2012 and they came back as 85. Needless to say I was a little annoyed at the robbery they were trying to pass off. These were case fresh games, one of which had 2 very light scuff marks on the back that were only noticeable if you tilted it in the light a certain way. The other game was flawless. I eventually crossed over and they came back 9.8s. I feel like vga was overly harsh on grading back then because I sent in some games last year to vga that were NM and came back 85 as well. The conditional differences between the games I sent in 2012 to the ones I sent last year were very noticeable. It seems that vga has relaxed their standards a bit, but if anyone got vga graded games back in the early days and might have the same feelings I did about the grades, send them to wata.

Yeah, this is a big reason why CGC may not succeed in graded games and everyone will just stick to WATA imo. CGC also grades overly harsh.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, tidaldreams said:

Yeah, this is a big reason why CGC may not succeed in graded games and everyone will just stick to WATA imo. CGC also grades overly harsh.

I know many of the MtG graders are pissed at how redic CGCs grading is. Orders of 140+ getting only 2 9.5 etc.

• Wow! 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:04 AM, Gulag Joe said:

I have also heard this talk of VGA being very tough years ago.  Makes me want to take my 2012 Mario 2 and just resub it

42 minutes ago, Startyde said:

I know many of the MtG graders are pissed at how redic CGCs grading is. Orders of 140+ getting only 2 9.5 etc.

Yeah, I don't really understand the thinking behind these submissions. Sure CGC/Beckett/whatever may be cheaper than PSA (I'm not even sure if this is true anymore), but PSA will increase the value of your cards the most. Only exception would be BGS 10/black label, but no one should risk going for that by submitting raw instead of crossing a PSA 10.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:09 AM, tidaldreams said:

Not really. 😅

CGC has a history of grading 9.6s as 9.8s. This was confirmed by a former CGC grader that I met at one of my LCSs. CBCS, however, grades harsh when it comes to 9.9s.

1 minute ago, FenrirZero said:

Not really. 😅

CGC has a history of grading 9.6s as 9.8s. This was confirmed by a former CGC grader that I met at one of my LCSs. CBCS, however, grades harsh when it comes to 9.9s.

I dunno, I get confused with all these names that sound similar >.< I mean CGC the trading card grading company with the light blue labels grades anything above a 9 super harsh.

3 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

I dunno, I get confused with all these names that sound similar >.< I mean CGC the trading card grading company with the light blue labels grades anything above a 9 super harsh.

Ironically, it's the same company. 😅 I wouldn't be shocked if they grade cards harshly for the same reason they allowed comics to be graded softly. 🤔

Anywho... It looks like I have to hunt down a new auction house. 😩

I mean unless there is a buyer here who wants to own the very first Japanese Dreamcast game graded by CAS, that is my only other option. Especially when there is a good chance I'll be returning to my Transformers collecting days while this portion of the market is hot.

Either way, I am going to decide if I will use AFA or CAS for my toy grading needs. I personally do not mind harsh grading just because I do the same while determining what I should send in (regardless of rarity and/or value). 😅

On 7/24/2021 at 8:35 PM, tidaldreams said:

Yeah, I don't really understand the thinking behind these submissions. Sure CGC/Beckett/whatever may be cheaper than PSA (I'm not even sure if this is true anymore), but PSA will increase the value of your cards the most. Only exception would be BGS 10/black label, but no one should risk going for that by submitting raw instead of crossing a PSA 10.

I dont agree with this at all, not for MtG cards. PSA is probably fine for Pokemon, but MtG collectors want the subgrades. Also a lot of us are uncomfortable that PSA doesn't use sleeves inside their cases. 

CGC was attractive because they were cheaper, faster, established and had subs. The drawback was thir blue label looks like complete crap on the majority of MtG cards. But very many have been disappointed by the harsh grading and lower resale, so they stick with Beckett. 

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

What's that? We're talking about MAGIC THE GATHERING!? 

You're saying I should start building decks again? Collecting power nine? I had em once I can get em again

OK if you say so... 

(totally not addicted) 

I think they will cost a lot more the second time around 😂 So where is OP and more importantly are his auctions going to be selling any video games? Looks like his website only has sports cards and IDGAF about those.

2 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

I think they will cost a lot more the second time around 😂 So where is OP and more importantly are his auctions going to be selling any video games? Looks like his website only has sports cards and IDGAF about those.

Nah he fucked off first sign of pressure. Unsurprising and understandable. I don't think he needs us any more, he got his paycheck early.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant believe what an epic implosion this was, the hard push for us to make history with Goldin auctioning games, just for him to vanish into air, their ugly site not mentioning or having even a line about selling games or VHS. What happens to the poor fools who consigned to this cluster?

Administrator · Posted
On 7/27/2021 at 8:58 AM, drxandy said:

Plot twist: Jared got a promotion or got fired due to the merger. WHICH IS IT?!?!

I'd not be surprised if he was told not to post here anymore. These companies like to lurk (Hi! We see you!) and PM the staff on occasion, but never post.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1