IGNORED

Goldin Auctions Video Game Consignment Director Introduction & NEW AUCTION - I'm here to help & make us all money!

@OptOut Very valid question!
Both consignors wanted to be placed ASAP. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but this was per consignor request. We also will treat VGA & WATA as products that cater to different bidding crowds. Some people dislike WATA, some dislike VGA, so we will offer both for that reason (like Pokemon also).
As with cards and I am sure this is not news to anyone in here but always buy the game, not the grade. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@CodysGameRoom The next one will have lower dollar items.
The only reason I am here to help you make money is because I can help you sell your games - if you'd like to consign I am here to help. Making money otherwise, sadly I cannot help or I'd have a larger following lol. 

You know we are game COLLECTORS here right? Most of us aren't really concerned with making money from selling games. We are concerned with the collection and preservation, and the ability to play them. 

I mean, yes, the hobby has been twisted into a Mr Hyde version of itself in the last two years by investors, fraudsters, etc, so there are people here on this forum looking at this as an investment. I guess this is aimed at them. 

But I'd bet most of us here really don't give a shit about making money off selling games. Hey, I could be wrong, idk. Like, if we could census the userbase, how many of the users here REALLY buy AND SELL graded games? I can't imagine it is honestly a large percentage. Even some of the chucklefucks in the Heritage thread that are defending them don't buy or sell graded games. Unless they lyin'.

Anyway, yea. Just stating my position here. Seeing "I'm here to help you make money" on a collectors forum puts me somewhere between rolling my eyes and vomiting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

You know we are game COLLECTORS here right? Most of us aren't really concerned with making money from selling games. We are concerned with the collection and preservation, and the ability to play them. 

I mean, yes, the hobby has been twisted into a Mr Hyde version of itself in the last two years by investors, fraudsters, etc, so there are people here on this forum looking at this as an investment. I guess this is aimed at them. 

But I'd bet most of us here really don't give a shit about making money off selling games. Hey, I could be wrong, idk. Like, if we could census the userbase, how many of the users here REALLY buy AND SELL graded games? I can't imagine it is honestly a large percentage. Even some of the chucklefucks in the Heritage thread that are defending them don't buy or sell graded games. Unless they lyin'.

Anyway, yea. Just stating my position here. Seeing "I'm here to help you make money" on a collectors forum puts me somewhere between rolling my eyes and vomiting.

I thought I made that clear with my post awhile back lol.....guess not....

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
On 8/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, Jeevan said:

That's the thing, we don't wanna buy expensive games 😆  you are targeting the wrong audience!  I hear Nintendo Age was bought by some comic book nerds, might do better over there 😉  We here "nerds" want the people buying all this stuff to lose their asses and then buy it back and free the games from the tombs they are in.......but hey, prolly not gonna happen unfortunately, but we can dream, and dream big 😉 

hmmmmmm.......I love video games, does that make me a nerd, i think what really makes us angry is our hobby is now getting screwed up by folks that are "speculating" and trying to make money!  I sold an ogre battle 64 to someone for 80 bux, which is what i spent on it, when it was priced for $120+ on the sites that show what the "value" is.  Sure I could have made $40 but if I made someone's day then by god, or whatever deity you believe in, I am happy with that!  Not everything in life is about making money, sometimes its about making friends along the way and helping out the next person so they can pass it on and maybe, you know, not have to wait for some damned auction to try and get a game 😉 

@CodysGameRoom

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Hey now.  I like making money from my collection.  Of course I may have just spent that money on different games.  Oopsy.  😂 

Seriously though, how much of this whole thing was initially fueled/created/whatever by NA affiliated folks?  From the grading company, to the experts, to how many of those really big dollar items?  As much as we want to scream that we are collectors, it does make sense that their marketing guy shows up here.  He’s generated 10 pages of comments.  

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@Jeevan @CodysGameRoom I think you guys are misinterpreting me. When you sell a game - you get paid in money. Therefore you are turning a game into money. Making a profit is not what I am talking about either. 

I get the concept of making money....what we are saying is that we aren't in it for that......for example:  I sold a cart only ogre battle 64 to @ZeldaFan042 when it was "priced" as going for 120+ for the low low price of 80ish.....It was basically what I paid for it.  Ya I could have made $40 but that's not what I'm here for.  I only tagged zeldafan so he can confirm and tell you that I am blatantly not in this for making money......

There has been other things that I have sold, and will sell to people for the price I paid, nothing more.  

It's about collecting for me, not making money.....

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

I think you guys are misinterpreting me. When you sell a game - you get paid in money. Therefore you are turning a game into money.

I think you are misinterpreting me. I have a job. I get money there. Then I turn money into games. Because I want games. Not money.

15 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Hey now.  I like making money from my collection.  Of course I may have just spent that money on different games.  Oopsy.  😂 

I can get behind this philosophy. 🙂

16 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Seriously though, how much of this whole thing was initially fueled/created/whatever by NA affiliated folks?  From the grading company, to the experts, to how many of those really big dollar items?  As much as we want to scream that we are collectors, it does make sense that their marketing guy shows up here.  He’s generated 10 pages of comments.  

Nah, even though I grumble, I do agree. There has been interesting discussion on the topic, and some of his target audience is here. It just isn't me, and I know there are others. Like for example @Jeevan

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

It's about collecting for me, not making money.....

That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

@Jeevan I appreciate everyone's point of view. I don't want there to be any misconception and the rise in prices has certainly made things harder to obtain. I've seen it with sports cards, Pokemon/TCG and Comics. I can 100% relate to what you are saying. Just know I am always here for engaging conversation. 
We have some awesome stuff in the auction like the GTA script that people should want more information on - use me for help in that way or make our site/platform better for collectors. I will listen and do my best. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@Jeevan I appreciate everyone's point of view. I don't want there to be any misconception and the rise in prices has certainly made things harder to obtain. I've seen it with sports cards, Pokemon/TCG and Comics. I can 100% relate to what you are saying. Just know I am always here for engaging conversation. 
We have some awesome stuff in the auction like the GTA script that people should want more information on - use me for help in that way or make our site/platform better for collectors. I will listen and do my best. 

I appreciate that you are here and engaging. Same can't be said for certain others that have been radio silent since certain videos dropped...

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

I appreciate that you are here and engaging. Same can't be said for certain others that have been radio silent since certain videos dropped...

+1. 

I appreciate the fact that Jared is still around, even with how rocky this post started. Especially when you compare that to everything else going on these days with sealed/graded games & consigning. 

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

Yea but the meteoric rise in value of sports cards and other collectibles happening right now doesn't count! This is only happening with video games because it's a conspiracy! Some guy made a YouTube video about it! That is the only practical answer available to appease my FEELINGS!

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 2

9 hours ago, AdamW said:

HA only adds it to the sale price after the auction ends, and none of Goldin's auctions have ended, so...

My point is they don't show the hammer price + 20% BP as the true sale price like Heritage does, and instead just show the hammer price. If you're bidding, you would also have to calculate the BP yourself as the price you're gonna pay, unlike Heritage which will show it to you when you bid.

Edited by tidaldreams

On 8/30/2021 at 11:09 PM, OptOut said:

Serious question to @Jared_Goldinauctions, why schedule two Mario 64's head to head in the same auction? If there is a preference for one copy over the other, won't the underbidder eventually just settle on one and let the high bidder sneak off with the other for less than they would otherwise?

You're kind of diluting the bidding pool with two basically identical copies selling at the same time, IMO. If I had consigned one of those two Mario 64's I'd be pretty pissed, tbh, might even pull it entirely if I truly believed it to be worth over a million dollars.

I think it’s fair to assume that the person who consigned one of those mario 64 first is pretty pissed off that another showed up. 

however they should be taken for what they are: 2 mint games graded by different companies. Both are likely the highest grade anyone can hope to put in their collection. The 95+ is unlikely to go anywhere for a very long time so 95 is the highest that will be available period. Just like the 9.8 A++ is likely to be the highest available.

A lot of people think vga95 is a better grade (and i an in that camp) but some people won’t touch vga and some won’t touch Wata. The results will speak for themselves but it seems like its the first time a « high end » VGA game will hit public auction since Heritage started offering games. 

The end result will be highly influenced by the marketing/education of goldin to the new investor/speculator crowd that VGA is as viable as wata for graded games. From what we’ve seen so far the wata is definitely getting a preferential treatment, which is too bad but understandable given July’s sale. It is still early and i’m sure Goldin will promote both.

Ultimately it will be beneficial to everyone if they BOTH do well. As someone pointed out if only Wata does well then people will cry foul/manipulation/scam etc. if they both do well then it will be good for VGA obviously, but especially for goldin since they will be auctionning a LOT of vga games in the future.  This would help increase excitement for consigning vga games and will allow them to offer games that have never been offered at HA because wata doesnt grade certain consoles.

So yeah we will see but this is definitely a very, very interesting showdown. 

Edited by Jim Jimmer
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@epiczail @WalterWhiteJr.

I appreciate your kindness. It's been very exciting for me to put this auction together. I hope if anyone here wins anything they enjoy their piece of treasure. 

I mean, it takes a lot to be around us 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@Jeevan @CodysGameRoom I think you guys are misinterpreting me. When you sell a game - you get paid in money. Therefore you are turning a game into money. Making a profit is not what I am talking about either. 

I'm pretty sure that based on this statement, if you're serious, you're either being disingenuous or you don't understand how an auction is supposed to go for people putting things up for sale.  If it was literally about just turning games into money, you'd be buying the stuff off of people at the going rate then auctioning it yourself--to achieve profit.  If the goal is simply to make the flat, normal "market" rate at any given time, you set up a store with set prices, or offer a "buy it now" option akin to what eBay did all those years ago.

The whole auction process is intended to get the most money possible for whatever is being offered, so again, there are issues with you saying you're here to help everyone make money but you aren't talking about making a profit for them (or yourself).

• Like 1

@tidaldreams We are going to be incorporating that into our new site. You are correct - it doesn't show you the total until your invoice is issued. Please be aware of that!

@darkchylde28 I'm here to help you consign/sell. How ever we want to word that. I just don't like the way the title is worded and I want to clarify. I understand the questioning on it. 

7 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

But there’s nothing wrong with selling and in hope of a profit. This applies for loose cart and CIB selling too. The issue is the ethics around it and whatever dodginess that currently exists, should be kept at a minimum. 

Let’s not forget our common enemy. It isn’t money, it’s the shady stuff going on! 

3 minutes ago, GPX said:

But there’s nothing wrong with selling and in hope of a profit. This applies for loose cart and CIB selling too. The issue is the ethics around it and whatever dodginess that currently exists, should be kept at a minimum. 

Let’s not forget our common enemy. It isn’t money, it’s the shady stuff going on! 

I’m not against flipping a game for cash. I sell games. I sold one today to a VGS member, lol. 

I’m just simply not trying to get rich selling games. It’s not my bag. I collect. I’m using the $30 from the game I sold today towards another one. 

• Like 2