IGNORED

Worth risking life for?

SuperJimtendo

Here we are, a snowy, cold night in Colorado. 10°. Snow falling, icy roads. Hazardous conditions that we've known were coming for days. 

Over the years working at the old music store, and recently at the liquor store. It had always boggled my mind what dumb shit people are willing to brave the storm for. Do you really need that DVD copy universal soldier in this weather? Do you really need another bottle of pinot grigio? 

So what is it? What are you willing to leave the safety and comfort of your house for?

• Haha 1

Honestly, I think it’s a mix of people being pro-active looky-lues and those who just got to do something to feel “brave” or macho.

Of course, there are also the workaholic managers and single moms working at Pizza Hut who are threatened with a loss of their job if they don’t come in.  Yeah, that happens, because we all know that when you’re snowed in, that’s the perfect time to order a delivered pizza.

Hell, it doesn't have to do more than rain and be slightly chilly for me and mine to want to stay home. If it's like the conditions you described only a health crisis or family tragedy would get us out (both of which, unfortunately, have happened in the past). But anything short of that, nope!!! Ain't gonna do it!

14 minutes ago, RH said:

Honestly, I think it’s a mix of people being pro-active looky-lues and those who just got to do something to feel “brave” or macho.

Of course, there are also the workaholic managers and single moms working at Pizza Hut who are threatened with a loss of their job if they don’t come in.  Yeah, that happens, because we all know that when you’re snowed in, that’s the perfect time to order a delivered pizza.

Yeah, I know people that will go out driving in awful weather for no reason other than "just to see how the roads are". I was a Dominos driver back in my early 20s and we would get slammed with orders whenever it snowed and not even get a decent tip most of the time even though we were basically risking our lives for minimum wage.

21 minutes ago, RH said:

I've often said getting laid or getting paid is the only excuse. But it's 100% consumer cultures fault that People cant miss work to stay safe. Idiots out there on the ice rink streets to buy whatever keeps their thumb out their bum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Being from Minnesota I have no problem going out in a storm, plus having a truck that can get around no problem helps too. Sometimes it’s quite peaceful to head out, even stopping to help people that may have gotten stuck. 

Back when I had a 4 wheel drive truck I would agree. Luckily, we haven't had a really bad snow here in Cincinnati in a while so I probably just jinxed us for this year.

Personally, I draw the line when it becomes a hassle to get to the destination. If it starts snowing and visibility becomes limited, I try to avoid driving unless it is necessary.

I also suppose it doesn't matter, because driving on the terrible driver infested freeways of Michigan is a health hazard in itself. I could solve this issue, but they won't let me live in the cafeteria at work...

I used to deliver pizzas in college on breaks to have some spending money. Quick tip to anyone looking for cash: you make absolute BANK doing that if you don’t mind the wear and tear on your car.

Anyway, I was working PM shift and a pretty bad storm was hitting. Tornado sirens going off, the works. We asked our DM if we could close because this was clearly extremely dangerous and he said if it got bad to “huddle in the freezer.” Gotta love corporate chains. Right before the weather hit though, we took a delivery to some dude with a complicated order. When the storm did hit, he called back and lied that we messed something up and he wants another free pizza (customers did this ALL the time and the corporate chain didn’t give a shit). He demanded one be driven to him on the house. I said “Do you see this weather? We don’t feel safe driving in this so we aren’t. If you want the pizza that badly, you come here and get it.”

Well apparently a free pizza he didn’t deserve really was worth it to him despite the extremely dangerous weather, because he did show up.

I stay home in more than 2-3" of snow generally.  Well, at least work from home.  After the snow is done and the roads are plowed I'll go out, but nothing is worth me hitting the roads otherwise.  Exception would be obvious emergency when I had to get to the hospital or something of that nature. 

Only if it was an absolute emergency, which I guess lucky for me I am in a valley about a mile out of town so roads would be fairly clear and generally don't get much snow which doesn't take much to bring on a snowolcalypse around here even worse if its ice or gods forbid both. 

Edited by MuNKeY

12 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I used to deliver pizzas in college on breaks to have some spending money. Quick tip to anyone looking for cash: you make absolute BANK doing that if you don’t mind the wear and tear on your car.

Anyway, I was working PM shift and a pretty bad storm was hitting. Tornado sirens going off, the works. We asked our DM if we could close because this was clearly extremely dangerous and he said if it got bad to “huddle in the freezer.” Gotta love corporate chains. Right before the weather hit though, we took a delivery to some dude with a complicated order. When the storm did hit, he called back and lied that we messed something up and he wants another free pizza (customers did this ALL the time and the corporate chain didn’t give a shit). He demanded one be driven to him on the house. I said “Do you see this weather? We don’t feel safe driving in this so we aren’t. If you want the pizza that badly, you come here and get it.”

Well apparently a free pizza he didn’t deserve really was worth it to him despite the extremely dangerous weather, because he did show up.

That story would have been better if the guy got sucked up by the tornado

3 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I must be mistaken on this thread...a spin through snowy weather in my Tahoe is quite joyful, followed up by a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a viewing of Universal Soldier (Goldberg FTW) - sounds like a fun evening 🙂

Just another night for the midwest in the winter!

Universal Soldier? You monster!

16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Cars are pretty safe, and people are more likely to drive recklessly and speed in rainy conditions and drive slower and more cautiously in icy conditions, so your life might actually be less at risk in bad snowy conditions!

Rain and snow both increase the risk of a fatal crash dramatically, but in most states are you correct that rain is a greater hazard than snow.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/05/14/deadly-driving-hazards/27300165/

Interestingly, in Colorado, snow is deadlier than rain as a driving hazard, so JamesRobot's comment is a bit cavalier 😛

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Rain and snow both increase the risk of a fatal crash dramatically, but in most states are you correct that rain is a greater hazard than snow.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/05/14/deadly-driving-hazards/27300165/

Interestingly, in Colorado, snow is deadlier than rain as a driving hazard, so JamesRobot's comment is a bit cavalier 😛

Either way, Jimbo doesn't even drive.  He's just looking for a snowday!

Plus, what are people going to do all day if they stay cooped up inside the house? They're gonna drink.  So the LQ has to stay open either way.  It's a public service.  

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Here we are, a snowy, cold night in Colorado. 10°. Snow falling, icy roads. Hazardous conditions that we've known were coming for days. 

Over the years working at the old music store, and recently at the liquor store. It had always boggled my mind what dumb shit people are willing to brave the storm for. Do you really need that DVD copy universal soldier in this weather? Do you really need another bottle of pinot grigio? 

So what is it? What are you willing to leave the safety and comfort of your house for?

Well, they expect you to be there, though 😞  That really doesn't make sense.  In situations like this if your local meteorologist/weatherperson/whatever says not to be out in it if you can at all avoid it, DO SO.  After all it's not just me and my wife I have a little kitty to keep warm and safe too!  I really do feel sorry for all those homeless kitties though... 😞