IGNORED

Worth risking life for?

SuperJimtendo

1 hour ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Point is. People go outside in stupid weather for some really stupid shit. 

We are getting some crazy rain here today and tomorrow. I was watching the local news and they had some guy driving around in it with a dashboard camera. They do the same thing on all the local stations when we have heavy snow and ice. That's always seemed beyond stupid to me. It's common sense that the driving conditions are going to be bad. I really don't see the point in sending a reporter out to prove it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

We are getting some crazy rain here today and tomorrow. I was watching the local news and they had some guy driving around in it with a dashboard camera. They do the same thing on all the local stations when we have heavy snow and ice. That's always seemed beyond stupid to me. It's common sense that the driving conditions are going to be bad. I really don't see the point in sending a reporter out to prove it.

You don't know a lot of people, do you?

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yes and sadly they are about that stupid.

Or they be watching that news report and be like "I got this!"

My old boss used to make me go in every snowstorm. I would have to drive on some very poorly maintained roads and pray I get home. All well, the plow guys need to get fed. We need them out there and killing it for us! Lots of my regulars are tow guys, too. Lots of nurses too, cant not show up to work at a nursing home. Someone needs to be there to dispense meds.

2 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Or they be watching that news report and be like "I got this!"

My old boss used to make me go in every snowstorm. I would have to drive on some very poorly maintained roads and pray I get home. All well, the plow guys need to get fed. We need them out there and killing it for us! Lots of my regulars are tow guys, too. Lots of nurses too, cant not show up to work at a nursing home. Someone needs to be there to dispense meds.

I worked in a nursing home for 16 years and I would go out in whatever I had to in order to take care of everyone. There's a difference between essential personnel and people risking their lives to deliver pizza, which I also did as a Dominos driver at night.

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I worked in a nursing home for 16 years and I would go out in whatever I had to in order to take care of everyone. There's a difference between essential personnel and people risking their lives to deliver pizza, which I also did as a Dominos driver at night.

I'm with you. If you lived by me I'd be open to feed you if you were hungry to matter what.

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Pizza is essential!

• Like 1

If there's gonna be a snow storm and I'm on call, I would rather just sleep at work. I hate having to drive in the snow with all the dickheads. They usually pay us to sleep there too if it's a state of emergency. But if you're essential personnel you're required to come to work or you could get written up or shit canned.

Moderator · Posted

Sometimes the heart wants what it wants. When I lived in Cambridge, MA about 10 years ago, I was craving fresh baked cookies and I promised by girlfriend I'd make some so we could have cookies and cocoa while watching a blizzard that was hitting us at full blast. After the first few bodegas were closed due to the weather, I eventually reached a "I've been out here looking for a place that's open so long I ain't turning back now" place. I kept walking in the street (the sidewalks were piled with snow from the plows), and even had to jump into a snowpile to avoid an oncoming plow until I found a place that was open.

And those cookies were somewhat worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

Sometimes the heart wants what it wants. When I lived in Cambridge, MA about 10 years ago, I was craving fresh baked cookies and I promised by girlfriend I'd make some so we could have cookies and cocoa while watching a blizzard that was hitting us at full blast. After the first few bodegas were closed due to the weather, I eventually reached a "I've been out here looking for a place that's open so long I ain't turning back now" place. I kept walking in the street (the sidewalks were piled with snow from the plows), and even had to jump into a snowpile to avoid an oncoming plow until I found a place that was open.

And those cookies were somewhat worth it.

Former New Englander here. Sadly, where I grew up it was like 20 minutes to the nearest anything and it was all winding hilly backroads. We did what we had to do as it was just part of the way of life. I laugh when people complain about it where I live now as the snow never gets that bad, doesn't stick around all winter when it does, and the roads are flat and straight and decently maintained. They will never know the sheer terror of being in a multi-ton object going down a hill with no friction when you just want to stop or at the very least not slide of the death slope that is off to the side of you.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
3 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

They will never know the sheer terror of being in a multi-ton object going down a hill with no friction when you just want to stop or at the very least not slide of the death slope that is off to the side of you.

Fortunately I never had the death slope, before Cambridge, I lived in a CT suburb but my car slid on the ice more that I care to remember. One time my dad was driving me somewhere and he tried to break at an intersection at the bottom of a gentle hill but the ice made him slide right through it, so he leaned on his horn to warn the car that was about to go through. Turns out a guy I knew was in that car and could see me through the window. He walked up to me later that week and was just like what the hell was that?

14 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

As someone who's had family in these facilities, or older family members who've needed full-time assistance in their homes for the last couple of years, I thank you for your work. I agree with you.  Staff members such as yourselves, as well as nurses and doctors, are needed in places like that.  I've always appreciated the staff that our family has had to work with.  Their have been a couple with bad attitudes who didn't last long but the majority of workers were great at their job.  I know it's a tough profession and braving icy conditions can make it even more difficult, so Thank you for your service.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1