IGNORED

SMB3 sells for $156k

a3quit4s

Could go for a million and someone will always want it if it’s that nice compared to a regular $100-200 copy, just as some weird investment vehicle. The stuff that floors me is the Mario missing the entire top of the box, a literal piece of garbage, selling for almost $20k, or Pokemon Yellow, a game that clearly isn’t in the rarity/desirability league as other big boy sales selling for $78k.

Lots of second/later print runs selling for crazy money. People dying for anything with a Pokeman or Mario on it at any price.

Edited by DefaultGen

Makes me completely regret selling my 9.4 / B Original Mario Bros...and I got paid very handsomely for it!

At least I know I’m 100% out of the sealed hobby now. Just keep away from my secret rare variants until I get them all...I still need a post-N7 BK-1 Tecmo NBA Basketball that puts Jordan back in the game for some weird reason.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

At least I know I’m 100% out of the sealed hobby now. Just keep away from my secret rare variants until I get them all...I still need a post-N7 BK-1 Tecmo NBA Basketball that puts Jordan back in the game for some weird reason.

I was going to say Cheetahmen selling for such a “normal” price shows that rarity doesn’t matter to these guys but then you said MICHAEL JORDAN and I went 😱

1 hour ago, austin532 said:

How much can I get for this? 2 million sounds fair.

Since it's beat to shit, why not open it up for the Sealed Contents list? 😉

And regarding the sealed left-bros, if these are real sale prices then it's no longer a collector's market but strictly an investor's/prospector's market; there is no way any sane individual who knows ANYTHING about collecting NES would drop that kind of money on an item like that...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I found the buyer. It’s a dude from Dubai, so I’m not surprised anymore.

Edit; I think I was wrong. Seems the guy picked up a different SMB3

Lol, what would a guy from Dubai even want with that? That particular box wasn't icon in his part of the world.

Maybe he'd like some of those sealed bootleg Famiclone carts I have 😄

I’d love for an article to delve deep into who’s actually buying these heavy hitters, and how legit these sales really are. Instead, all articles thus far are stating the sales as a matter-of-fact on an assumption people are actually paying up these end bids. 

Some of these prices are outrageous beyond belief, understatement!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GPX said:

I’d love for an article to delve deep into who’s actually buying these heavy hitters, and how legit these sales really are. Instead, all articles thus far are stating the sales as a matter-of-fact on an assumption people are actually paying up these end bids. 

Some of these prices are outrageous beyond belief, understatement!

They’re definitely legitimate auctions. Heritage Auctions doesn’t screw around with fake bidders.

Also, one of our very own veteran community members @Bronty is pretty active in that realm. Dude is literally a piece of the puzzle that brought the nerdy rich comic collectors into our little nerdy not as rich hobby :V

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GPX said:

I’d love for an article to delve deep into who’s actually buying these heavy hitters,

It's definitely people with a shit ton of money and were collecting other things. They see video games as the next big collecting thing, and pumped their money into it. It's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, as others in their circle join in.

40 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

They’re definitely legitimate auctions. Heritage Auctions doesn’t screw around with fake bidders.

Also, one of our very own veteran community members @Bronty is pretty active in that realm. Dude is literally a piece of the puzzle that brought the nerdy rich comic collectors into our little nerdy not as rich hobby :V

Ok, even if payment is made in all cases, something just seems fishy still. I don’t believe it’s simply rich crazy mofos jumping in and buying willy nilly.  Even rich people have to do some sort of research prior to their spending, surely? 

Then if we take it from an investing point of view, what kind of investor “invests” on items where they don’t bother to discuss or learn from those in the know of the market trends? (eg. veterans like members on VGS).

I have no qualms on whatever the price goes up for truly one-of-a-kinds. Just for some of the prices for items that are known to exist by the truckloads, and are going for crazy money right now seems more comical than comic collecting. Pardon the pun.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

There is good reason to think that the sealed game market is limited and prices will only grow as more collectors, many of whom were part of the junk wax sports card era, enter into this nostalgia realm.

No one is really arguing that prices won’t grow. The argument is regarding the urgency of the growth seems manufactured. Paying 10 times (or more) the usual going rate, then hoping it makes profit, isn’t a very good investment plan. For any market, be it with games, comics or otherwise.

Edited by GPX

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

No one is really arguing that prices won’t grow. The argument is regarding the urgency of the growth seems manufactured. Paying 10 times (or more) the usual going rate, then hoping it makes profit, isn’t a very good investment plan. For any market, be it with games, comics or otherwise.

I attribute the escalation in prices to the frequent media exposure the hobby has been getting. Pawn Stars, daytime TV segments, news articles, etc. Video game collecting seems to be in the news nearly every week these days. That exposure is bringing in new hobbyists at an unprecedented rate.

38 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I attribute the escalation in prices to the frequent media exposure the hobby has been getting. Pawn Stars, daytime TV segments, news articles, etc. Video game collecting seems to be in the news nearly every week these days. That exposure is bringing in new hobbyists at an unprecedented rate.

This is very true and on top of that when a non collector has retro stuff like NES games they expect market or more than market value. Which is actually flooding the market like Ebay, CL, Facebook amount other sites with overpriced video games that have no chance of selling. 

It was much stronger than I expected but hype knows no bounds. The market is crazy hot right now and record sales will happen across the board. You could list pretty much anything mint right now and it would do better than expected.

Market has been hot for a solid two years at this point, Jan 2019 or a bit earlier. I dont see that changing anytime soon, but a cooler market will eventually come at some point. Until that happens, sales will keep getting nutty every month. Just the way it goes these days...