IGNORED

Console Debate #3: Sony Playstation

fox

How do you rate the Playstation?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Playstation?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/28/2020 at 05:59 AM

8. The PSX has a good number of awesome exclusives, and the best version of multi-platform games. Even a good number of the lesser games like Dukes of Hazard and Loaded were enjoyable. 

After getting use to modern gaming. The load times and music stopping while going into menus can be a little annoying.  

Right up there with NES and SNES as one of the all-time great consoles. So many genres and styles were invented on this console and it houses several of the greatest games of all time. From a personal standpoint, this console was probably the most formative for me.

Just off the top of my head, I'd consider these games/series revolutionary or genre-defining:

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Final Fantasy 7
  3. Castlevania: SotN
  4. Resident Evil Series
  5. Twisted Metal Series
  6. Tomb Raider Series
  7. PaRappa the Rapper
Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

Hundreds of games worth owning (imo).  Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy Tactics all place in my top 25.  A million personal favorites such as Fear Effect, G Darius, Treasures of the Deep, Elemental Gearbolt, Front Mission 3, and on and on.

Absolutely in the top 10 consoles of all time.  Top 5?  I'm not sure.  I like lots of games.  Do I like the PSX library more than the PS2, SNES, Switch, 3DS, and PS3/360 libraries?

I honestly don't know.  I'll have to think about it.  But definitely an 8 or 9.  It's crowded at the top.

• Like 3

9.  This is my #2 system after NES.  The system of my teenage years.  I was an earlyish  adopter.  Got one in the longbox years and my first games were Resident Evil and Warhawk.  The PlayStation’s lifespan was a rollercoaster of creative awesomeness.  Those earlier model PlayStations had some bugs that still needed worked out and my first PlayStation spent a good portion of its life on its side.  Had to put her down when she couldn’t make it through the opening FMV scenes when Final Fantasy VII came out. 
I love this system. A lot of fun to collect for too.  I had some of my most fun as a collector completing the longbox set.  I had full set dreams at one point but rising prices and the sheer volume was too much for me.  Got about half way.  Mad respect to the fullset PS2 nuts.  Been trying to pare down to more must have titles but that’s still a pretty massive list 😂 

Damn it.  After typing this up I should’ve given it a 10.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

9 for me.  I love PlayStation and it kicked off an awesome series of consoles.  PS2 is my favorite console of all time, so I had to bump this one down to 9, but there are just so many great games.  And the more I've explored imports, the more I realized just how expansive the library really is.  

I still play PS1 games quite often.  Love it.

• Like 1

One of the greatest ever made. Simple as that. The beginning of Sony as a gaming company, who is still knocking it out of the park today. That alone makes it interesting to collect for.

Nintendo and Sega really shot themselves in the foot with Sony. They both spurned Sony in their attempts to collaborate and Sony said 

“I’ll make my own console. With blackjack. And hookers!”

And it effectively killed Sega as a hardware developer and has been a competitive thorn in Nintendo’s side ever since.

• Like 1

9 or 10? 9 or 10 ...? Funny thing is this is one of the few consoles I have almost no nostalgia for and it is right there knocking on the door for goat imo. Shout outs to people who went 10 I can't commit to that yet. 

-Klonoa, Rayman, Adventures of Lomax, Skull Monkeys

- R-Type Delta, Einhander, Sexy Parodius

-Final Doom, Dark Forces, 

It really has some of the funkiest, weirdest, coolest titles. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

IRL are you actually the Pikachu in Hey You! Pikachu that gets mad when you say “Sony” or “PlayStation” into the mic?

No, but I AM the guy who trained him to do that! Took some serious beatings to condition him, but worth it IMO.

spacer.png

Proud of that lil fella! 😉

• Like 2