IGNORED

Console Debate #3: Sony Playstation

fox

How do you rate the Playstation?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the Playstation?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/28/2020 at 05:59 AM

I guess I'm slightly more harsh, I gave it an 8 while a lot ran right to the 9. 😄  I don't think it was perfect, enough flaws to keep it off a 9 that's all.  There's a lot to love there, and the remodel later in life with that custom LCD of theirs really upped the game on its quality too.  By sheer volume of games it's basically arrogance and fanboyism to say the thing sucks and has no value there.  There's literally something for everyone there as long as you're willing to try some games out at all, whatever the age group.  It was solid enough on 2D and 3D to pull off a wide range of games, both arcade conversions of high quality, but also many unique games that really upped the ante in various genres too.  While the original controller did kind of suck, a crappy SNES ripoff with an added set of top buttons, once the dual shock was rolled out, they really nailed it on that one keeping the design for years to come into future devices no less, and with minimal change until they started getting stupid cute with the PS4 and 5.

I also gave it an 8, and not a 9 like others here.

For me the only game I loved for that system was Final Fantasy VII. But I also had more experiences at the end of its lifespan than anything else. And because of that I missed out on playing Dragon Warrior VII, Parasite Eve, and Xenogears. Plus these days it is close to being #2 when it comes to any/all past generation game systems. Which has it being wedged between Super Famicom and PlayStation 2. Just because both Dragon Quest IV and Dragon Quest Monsters I&II were remade for that system. And not much when you exclude both Dragon Warrior VII and Final Fantasy VII.

9/10

Some phenomenal games and granted me hours upon hours of entertainment in middle school & high school. Maybe hasn't ages the best comparatively but still paved the way for many things to come.

I would say at least 5th if not 4th or even 3rd favourite console overall.

Would more then give it a 9.5/10 if possible

I voted low, because for me, it feels like the Atari of the 3D world of gaming: it ushered in a new era, but everything is so janky and awkward (controller, load times, graphics, etc) that it makes me wonder why I would ever choose this library over the many thousands of more modern games that have near-perfected pretty much every 3D genre since.  I mean, even the PS2 is miles upon miles ahead of the PS1 library for me.  I definitely respect it's position in video game history, but in terms of playability in 2020, it doesn't really have anything for me.  It's like, why go back to Atari when NES and SNES exist?  I feel the same way about the PS1: why go back to that when the PS2,3,4,5, Xboxes and Steam exist????

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I voted low, because for me, it feels like the Atari of the 3D world of gaming: it ushered in a new era, but everything is so janky and awkward (controller, load times, graphics, etc) that it makes me wonder why I would ever choose this library over the many thousands of more modern games that have near-perfected pretty much every 3D genre since.  I mean, even the PS2 is miles upon miles ahead of the PS1 library for me.  I definitely respect it's position in video game history, but in terms of playability in 2020, it doesn't really have anything for me.  It's like, why go back to Atari when NES and SNES exist?  I feel the same way about the PS1: why go back to that when the PS2,3,4,5, Xboxes and Steam exist????

Beeecause like any other major console, you'll be missing out on many all-time classic/blue chip games that you can't get anywhere else?

Actually I always thought the PS1/PS2 was more like the 3D era versions of NES/SNES...with the latter of each pair not being so pixelated or jaggedy-pointed.  I'm probably not explaining that quite right.  But I always figured those who grew up in the PS1/PS2 era feel just as nostalgic and such about them if not more so than NES/SNES era gamers like myself.

And of course this right here explains how awesome it is to finally be able to experience the PS1 lineup in an easy/Everdrive-like sort of way.  Because I pretty much ignored the PS1 for its first 5-6 or so years until I had to get one to play the MegaMan games in 2001.

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Beeecause like any other major console, you'll be missing out on many all-time classic/blue chip games that you can't get anywhere else?

Yeah, but here's the thing for me: they're not replayable (for me) and the charm is missing.  Here's an example.  Let's say you haven't played Mega Man 2 in 20 years and you're like, "Oh, I remember that game - it was so awesome!"  So you dig out your NES and boot up MM2 and...... it's STILL awesome in 2020.  Like, the NES/SNES era seems to be timeless.  On the other hand, around 2010 I was like, "Oh man, I remember Tomb Raider - it was so awesome!"  So I picked up a PS and a bunch of games, and..... it was not the same.  The load times were super frustrating, the graphics looked horrendous, just everything seemed off from my fond memories.

I think the problem is that the industry is still producing  PS1 games to this day, just massively updated and polished ones, since the PS1 is basically like ground zero for modern 3D gaming.  So, for me, if I'm in the mood for playing something in that style, why would I pick a steam engine car from 1895 when I can drive a Ferrari?  Whereas the NES/SNES is like classical music, even though it's older than shit, it just seems to be playable at all times and in all eras.

I dunno, that's about the best I can do explaining my position.  My question for you guys is: are you rating the PS1 on rose-colored nostalgia or do you guys actually play PS1 games on a regular basis?  If I was playing PS1 games today at even 5% the rate that I still play NES/SNES, then my rating would be substantially higher.  But I don't, so there it is...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

@Dr. Morbis I can both agree with your observations but to me, personally, I still find a charm to the blockiness of it all.

That said, I don't think it's apples to apples comparing the NES to the PS1 or any game from that real first gen 3D era. A better comparison is probably the Atari age. Those games were very crude and brutal, but video games at home was new, novel and because of that, they were fun. It was the NES era that really picked up the quality and games moved tfrom colorful block and lines to actual cartoony images. The NES generation is more akin to the GameCube/PS2 era, which was definitely a HUGE leap forward in the graphical department.

@Dr.Morbis, if you are just looking at 3d games than yes, gaming has come a long way.

But the PS1 has more quality 2d games than the PS2-PS5 combined. And the three platformers I named earlier are three of the best platformers ever made. The PS4 has some platformers but most of the developers moved into rogue lite games or metroidvanias rather than pure level based games.  PS2-PS5 don't have the same quality or diversity of shmups as the PS1. PS2 has some goods ones and the PS4's library is growing, but neither is up to the "Phenomenal Shmups PS1 Library," just yet. We had this discussion before so I think other people would also speak highly of the RPG/Fighter library also, but that's not my cup of tea 

Edited by Californication

28 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

do you guys actually play PS1 games on a regular basis?

Yes. When I was a kid I had only played Spyro and Final Fantasy IX. Nowadays I’m exploring the library even more and having an even better time with it. Wild Arms in particular is one of my favorites, and the Alien Trilogy.

12 hours ago, Estil said:

Personally it may not get as much attention/publicity but I honestly think FF9 is even better.

I never got into it because I didn't have the money and Final Fantasy VIII's demo turned me off from the series for a while. But despite that I have to admit that Vivi is my 4th favorite Final Fantasy character. So maybe once I finally finish Dragon Quest II, and the other JRPGs I bought (as I am going to drop my last non-RPG from my completion list), I'll use that as an excuse to finally play it on the Switch. 👍

Fantastic console, one that I got into very late in its life and never fully explored. I played mostly RPGs and the big hits it was known for but I know there is a LOT of good stuff on it. I was an N64 kid so like I said I ignored the PS1 most of its life but been trying to make up for that over the years. Not quite a 10 but an easy 9 from me. 

Edited by AstralSoul

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I dunno, that's about the best I can do explaining my position.  My question for you guys is: are you rating the PS1 on rose-colored nostalgia or do you guys actually play PS1 games on a regular basis?  

A combination, for sure.

I have fond memories of lots of games that I'd be hesitant to pop in now.

Events Team · Posted

Kept going back and forth on 8 or 9.  It's def a high 8 for me.  Took me from high school to college and it sports some of my favorites games of all time.  Played countless hours of Tekken (1, 2, and mostly 3), Road Rash, Twisted Metal 2 (greatest derby game of all time), and Castlevania Symphony of the Night.  Tons of other great games too. 

Unfortunately, I don't go back to the well too much anymore.  Still play SoTN every year though.  Speaking of which, I'm about due. 

5 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, and how have we not talked about the boot up screen.

Best. Console. Boot. Ever.

Which you can only get on an original console!  And it's only with the original size PS1 (the only kind that can take the PSIO and even that requires the PS1 to be special modded for it) that you can get that neat 90s looking memory card menu!

I've said this often but it again bears saying with T-Day coming up (for those in the US anyway), I am so thankful that we can have these Everdrive kinds of things that let us play any game we want (with a big enough SD card you can have ALL the games ever released on the system!) on the original hardware and not have to worry about changing/wrecking cartridges/discs.

Love the game library.

Hate the disc format, hate the loading times and the unreliable mechanics of the console itself. Hate its ugly design, and hate its "attitude" and all the marketing surrounding it. Hate the controllers that break if you touch them.

But I love the game library. I'd be crazy not to.
It was the "SNES" of its generation, and I didn't realise it at the time.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Sumez what are you doing to the controllers?  Is that a common issue, never encountered that issue. 

I voted a 9.  My favorite behind the NES.  I go back and play the library often.  Going back to controllers though, I really disliked the dual shock controller on PS1.  I play with the original controller instead.  The underside of the dual shock is very contoured, it forces your fingers to be placed in a particular manner.  I find it uncomfortable very fast.  Might be in the minority about that though. 

• Like 1

I've never encountered a single broken PS1 controller in my entire life.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 different PS1 controllers of all styles and colors.  That is definitely not a common issue even after all of these years.  You are probably mixing them up with PS2 controllers which, unfortunately are not nearly as reliable.  But even then, it took most PS2 controllers more than 10 years before they started showing issues, and even then, cleaning them fixes most problems.  I'm not sure why PS2 controllers allow dirt inside more than PS1, but it happens.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Going back to controllers though, I really disliked the dual shock controller on PS1.  I play with the original controller instead.  

Find yourself a Dual Analog controller.  My favorite controller of all time.  My biggest disappointment with the PS1 was that when they went from the Dual Analog to the Dual Shock, they made the controller smaller.  I always wished they had stuck wit the Dual Shock size.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 12:03 AM, sp1nz said:

wee

On 11/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, Estil said:

Personally it may not get as much attention/publicity but I honestly think FF9 is even better.

All but that last boss on 9. The last big attack from him is so big. I die even with using Phoenix Down. It would revive just to get immediately killed.