IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

6 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

I have to ask, is covering Paypal fees whenever you buy something off a not common courtesy? I always try to do it whenever possible, so it kind of drives me up a wall when people don't, or offer something comparable to a gamestop trade in, for that matter.

What are you talking about?

Like, when you send paypal, and it's not gifted, do you cover the fees, or is the seller suppose to just eat them?

VVV

Perhaps, but imo when you're also being expected to shave off ebay/paypal fees before selling an item, it just seems extra penalizing to then also be hit with that same fee it, you know what i mean. This might not be something NintendoAge expects of people though, least from what i hear.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

16 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Like, when you send paypal, and it's not gifted, do you cover the fees, or is the seller suppose to just eat them?

The seller is the one responsible for paying the fees. It is the cost of doing business. A buyer loses any rights to a refund/claim if they send via friends and family.

• Like 3

Yeah if you're actually making a business out of selling stuff, and you're expecting to take PayPal, it makes sense that you pay the fee. I don't see the logic behind the buyer needing to pay the fee, it's not like they owe it any more.

Now for private sales it's different. PayPal might not be your preferred payment method, and could be avoided if you sold to someone locally or someone from a country with better alternatives (like bank transfers, etc). So it makes sense for a seller to say "if I'm going to sell to you and have to take paypal as a consequence, that shouldn't make it more expensive for me". In that sense it's similar to buyer paying the shipping, since it depends on their location.

It seems though that PayPal has recently made "family and friends" payments free, though? I haven't had to pay a fee the last few times I did it...

21 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

VVV

Perhaps, but imo when you're also being expected to shave off ebay/paypal fees before selling an item, it just seems extra penalizing to then also be hit with that same fee it, you know what i mean. This might not be something NintendoAge expects of people though, least from what i hear.

What's this "NintendoAge" place you speak of?

As others mentioned, it should be built into the cost of doing business.   So if you want to clear a certain amount for an item, already have shipping and fees built into that price.

I automatically sell things 10 percent cheaper here than ebay because I don't incur the ebay fees.

About the only time Paypal fees should come into negotiations is if you're wheeling and dealing on a price.   So if you have a $110 item, and duder asks if you'll take $100 gifted, and you figure you need to clear $100, you could come back with $100 plus Paypal fees.

21 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Of course the seller eats it. And they'll usually factor that into the price they sell it at. Sellers do that for pretty much any expense. They may itemize the shipping (unless that's listed as free) and taxes separately, but just about every other expense is incorporated into the the price of the item itself. 

WalMart does the same thing to cover the costs of their massive store overhead, just on a macro scale in their case.

Edited by Tulpa

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very small plastic horse that I was interested in and the seller is in Canada.  The horse was $1.63 and the seller wanted $15 to ship to the US.  So I asked BIghab (who lives in Canada) to see how much to ship to him (and he could tranship to me) - same price for him.  He asked the seller about the high shipping and he was told to buy more from the sellers shop to reduce shipping.  Serious WTF here.

7 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

There is a very small plastic horse that I was interested in and the seller is in Canada.  The horse was $1.63 and the seller wanted $15 to ship to the US.  So I asked BIghab (who lives in Canada) to see how much to ship to him (and he could tranship to me) - same price for him.  He asked the seller about the high shipping and he was told to buy more from the sellers shop to reduce shipping.  Serious WTF here.

If you ship anything in Canada that's more than letter size (thickness of a small book) it's minimum $15 but then slowly goes up with weight and size. He probably could ship 4 plastic horses for $20-25 but the base fee for any parcel is around $15. It's also often cheaper to ship to the States than other places in Canada. 

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

If you ship anything in Canada that's more than letter size (thickness of a small book) it's minimum $15 but then slowly goes up with weight and size. He probably could ship 4 plastic horses for $20-25 but the base fee for any parcel is around $15. It's also often cheaper to ship to the States than other places in Canada. 

That is seriously stupid on the Canadian governments part. Seems it would kill a lot of commerce - I can't imagine having to pay $15 shipping for a book from amazon.   

Recently got a third eBay case against me for selling Donkey Kong 64.  I put "no expansion pack" in the listing.  I explain the game will not play if buyer does not own an expansion pack.  Each time, the buyer pulls some sort of 5 finger discount via demands, a swapping of games, or a INAD case.  Thus, I'm out the game and money.  Again!

7 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

That is seriously stupid on the Canadian governments part. Seems it would kill a lot of commerce - I can't imagine having to pay $15 shipping for a book from amazon.   

Canada Post 'revamped' their service a number of years back and this is the result. Usually $15 to $20 to ship in Canada per parcel but it includes tracking and delivers within 5 business days. Just like a lot of services in Canada they charge out the ass because they can. UPS and Purolator are no cheaper for the most part. I actually think Canada Post does very well on revenue. Liquor, food, shipping and tele co services (some of the most expensive rates in the world) are all expensive up here on top of the already heavy tax. 

5 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Canada Post 'revamped' their service a number of years back and this is the result. Usually $15 to $20 to ship in Canada per parcel but it includes tracking and delivers within 5 business days. Just like a lot of services in Canada they charge out the ass because they can. UPS and Purolator are no cheaper for the most part. I actually think Canada Post does very well on revenue. Liquor, food, shipping and tele co services (some of the most expensive rates in the world) are all expensive up here on top of the already heavy tax. 

It's similar for us on the USA to Canada end too.

I can ship a First Class game in the $3-$4 range in the USA.  A cart, a CIB in a box, etc, anything up to 16 ounces.  If I ship anything that is a package (i.e. not a flat letter) to Canada via First Class International, it is also about a minimum of $15 for USA to Canada.  Makes it hard to send anything small or cheap that way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonebone said:

It's similar for us on the USA to Canada end too.

I can ship a First Class game in the $3-$4 range in the USA.  A cart, a CIB in a box, etc, anything up to 16 ounces.  If I ship anything that is a package (i.e. not a flat letter) to Canada via First Class International, it is also about a minimum of $15 for USA to Canada.  Makes it hard to send anything small or cheap that way. 

Yep. Not even worth my time to sell items less than $80-$100 on eBay because no one wants to pay $20 shipping for a $50 item not to mention the 13% you lose to PP and eBay as a seller. I tried selling disc base games via letter mail but that ended after a few $40 games went 'missing'. Funny how that works when there is no tracking. Just try to sell cheap stuff in lots now.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

Update for all you canadians who still occasionally buy from the US

First class international mail went up again

1-8 ounces was 9 and change. Its now nearly 12

9 ounces - 2 pounds was 13 and change. Now its nearly 19.

They werent messing around. These are pretty sizeable increases.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

This isn't a gripe - just odd.  Back in October I bought a map from Cool Stuff and received it shortly thereafter.   Today I got a refund of 98 cents from Cook Stuff for that purchase - no explanation as to why they gave it to me.

Some places give refunds if the actual shipping charge is different from the auto calculated charge.  If not that, it could have been tax related if there were taxes calculated automatically and the actual was different.  

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Some places give refunds if the actual shipping charge is different from the auto calculated charge.  If not that, it could have been tax related if there were taxes calculated automatically and the actual was different.  

That I understand - the time frame seemed a bit long for something like that though.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, Quest4Nes said:

Update for all you canadians who still occasionally buy from the US

First class international mail went up again

1-8 ounces was 9 and change. Its now nearly 12

9 ounces - 2 pounds was 13 and change. Now its nearly 19.

They werent messing around. These are pretty sizeable increases.

It's getting ridiculous. Can't sell games to Canada anymore. Canadian buyers have to throw market value out the window for an item as well. 

Go figure.

There was an item on ebay that the seller had listed 3 times at a price of $39.99 and then two more times at $27.97 with no takers.  The  current listing added the make an offer option midway so I offered $25 for it.

I got a rather cryptic message rejecting the offer saying that the price had been mislisted.  It is now listed at $37.97.   I can see making a mistake - but letting it run 3 times at that price?  

I kinda doubt I want to pay $37.97 for something I didn't want to pay $27.97 for in the first place.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Curious if this is a new scam on ebay? I was looking up prices on older games, and SO many sellers are advertising things as "Brand New" or often simply "New".

ebay -- Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing

Which is the definition of "new". Yet, sellers list items as brand new and then say things such as:

Hello, this unplayed copy is from my personal collection and has been treated with the utmost care.

Yeah, well, that's not the same as "NEW" is it you lying asshole! I swear, as I'm getting older I have less and less patience to deal with lying assholes which appear to be everywhere... 

Screenshot from 2020-02-19 17-44-22.png

On 2/19/2020 at 2:50 PM, avatar! said:

Curious if this is a new scam on ebay? I was looking up prices on older games, and SO many sellers are advertising things as "Brand New" or often simply "New".

ebay -- Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing

Which is the definition of "new". Yet, sellers list items as brand new and then say things such as:

Hello, this unplayed copy is from my personal collection and has been treated with the utmost care.

Yeah, well, that's not the same as "NEW" is it you lying asshole! I swear, as I'm getting older I have less and less patience to deal with lying assholes which appear to be everywhere... 

Screenshot from 2020-02-19 17-44-22.png

It's probably someone who doesn't understand Ebay condition listing policy. I would say send them a message telling them the game is not Brand New and change the listing condition.