IGNORED

Help me discover awesome SNES games

Brickman

I thought I would ask the community to help me discover some great SNES games that I have never had a chance to play or missed. I could just go through a top 100 list and call it a day, but that's pretty boring and probably won't help me discover unique titles.

Over the next few months I plan to attempt to go through the recommendations (time permitting). Give me your top 5 games that aren't on my already played list below.

Guidelines:

- Can't be on my already played list.

- Don't care if it is region exclusive, just has to be 100% playable in English or require no language. I definitely welcome super famicom suggestions.

- Love every genre except sports and racing. Unless it is something that doesn't take itself too seriously like NBA Jam and Mario Kart.

- List top 5 in order of favourite because I'll probably play everyone's first preference, work my way through, then move onto second preference etc.

- Future new members are more than welcome to post their top 5.

Update:

A VGS blog with some quick thoughts on my experience with each game: Blog

Recommendations completed:

Shadowrun

Skyblazer

Already played list:

A link to the past

Aladdin

Bust-A-Move

Chrono Trigger

Donkey Kong Country 1 - 3

Earthbound

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2

EVO

F Zero

Final Fantasy 4 - 6

Gradius 3

Killer Instinct 1 & 2

Kirby's Avalanche 

Lion King

Mario Paint

Mortal Combat 2 & 3

NBA Jam

R Type

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Wars 4-6

Street Fighter 2

Super Bomberman

Super Mario All stars

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2

Super Metroid

Terranigma

Tetris

Tetris & Dr Mario

The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie

the Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse 

The simpsons bart's nightmare

Uniracers

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Edited by Shmup

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

1. Shadowrun
2. Equinox
3. Either of the two Lufias
4. Addams Family Values*
5. Super Rampart

*Has some serious flaws but still a fun game.

As the first responder it looks like Shadowrun will be my first game! It is very fitting as I just did some googling on this game and it was created by an Australian company

Just now, Shmup said:

As the first responder it looks like Shadowrun will be my first game! It is very fitting as I just did some googling on this game and it was created by an Australian company

The Genesis one is pretty good also - totally different games though - I like both pretty much equally well - the SNES one works in more references IIRC from the Shadowrun novels.

Huh Terranigma but not the two prequels eh?  Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer before that, you need to do those.

Kirby's Adventure?  That's NES, so it was either Super Star or Dreamland 3, whichever you missed, must play the other.

Also since you don't mind Super Famicom, Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure is an excellent platformer from a franchise that otherwise is all mostly vertical shooters.

Saw a shooter in there, two if you stretch that to Star Fox... maybe it's time to look into Axelay, Space Megaforce, Spriggan Powered(SFC), UN Squadron are some good choices, as would any of the couple of Twin Bee and trio of Parodius games.

Brawlers, imports, Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R are fun (also has some good puzzles and two oddly well done SF2 clones as well.)  Domestic though, King of Dragons, TMNT4, Peacekeepers, Captain Commando, the three Final Fight games are all solid choices as would be both of the Sonic Blast Man titles.

I did mention Star Fox, shortly after the classic edition released, someone hacked and gutted the actual intended ROM for release of the sequel, easily runs on the right flash kit or chop shopped cart if you're not just emulating this stuff.  Kind of surprised as some of the franchise games you've not touched from the likes of Super Castlevania (or the also excellent Dracula X) to the Mega Man X1-3, 7 and Soccer titles, Ghouls n Ghosts and others.

14 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Huh Terranigma but not the two prequels eh?  Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer before that, you need to do those.

Kirby's Adventure?  That's NES, so it was either Super Star or Dreamland 3, whichever you missed, must play the other.

Also since you don't mind Super Famicom, Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure is an excellent platformer from a franchise that otherwise is all mostly vertical shooters.

Saw a shooter in there, two if you stretch that to Star Fox... maybe it's time to look into Axelay, Space Megaforce, Spriggan Powered(SFC), UN Squadron are some good choices, as would any of the couple of Twin Bee and trio of Parodius games.

Brawlers, imports, Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R are fun (also has some good puzzles and two oddly well done SF2 clones as well.)  Domestic though, King of Dragons, TMNT4, Peacekeepers, Captain Commando, the three Final Fight games are all solid choices as would be both of the Sonic Blast Man titles.

I did mention Star Fox, shortly after the classic edition released, someone hacked and gutted the actual intended ROM for release of the sequel, easily runs on the right flash kit or chop shopped cart if you're not just emulating this stuff.  Kind of surprised as some of the franchise games you've not touched from the likes of Super Castlevania (or the also excellent Dracula X) to the Mega Man X1-3, 7 and Soccer titles, Ghouls n Ghosts and others.

Oops was meant to type kirby’s avalanche.

Thanks for the suggestions, gives me a lot to work through.

The SNES was a system I only had at the tail end of its lifespan because the mega drive was a lot more popular here and then the 64 came out and I moved on.

It’s always been a system I’ve loved but never had a chance to delve fully into so I thought I would ask the VGS community 🙂

There are so many great games for the SNES, I feel like the list would never end, some of my favorites have already been mentioned, but one game I have not heard anyone mention just happens to be one I consider one of the all time best for the system and it is a Fire Emblem game:

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 

I consider this to be one of the best entries in the Fire Emblem series, and definitely deserves a look, if you're into turn-based tactical RPGs. It only came out in Japan, so technically is a Super Famicom release, but it has been translated and is fully playable in english.  

Another great rpg from Squaresoft which is also a translation from Super Famicom is:

Front Mission 1

Great game and is what started the series, other great US released snes games:

Demon's Crest

Robotrek

Breath of Fire 1 & 2 - great square rpgs

Secret of Evermore (sequel to Secret of Mana)

Castlevania: Dracula X - iconic platformer 

Blackthorne - loved that game

I  could go on with this list, but I'll just leave it there.