IGNORED

Little realisations that make you feel old

OptOut

I'm sure there are a million examples of this, especially when we're talking about things we're nostalgic for, but my God I hit upon a REAL doozy whilst drifting off to sleep last night:

It has been double the amount of time since Super Mario 64 DS came out than the length of time between when that came out and the original.

Put another way, Mario 64 came out in 1996 and 64 DS came out in 2004, 8 years later. 2004 was 16 years ago!!!

MAN when that hit me I was just like... 

spacer.png

Anyone else got any good examples of this? 😅

• Sad 1

I gauge my age by my half-life.  I just ask myself every now and then, what was I doing half my life ago?  It was a sad day when I realized that "half my life ago" I'd started college. 

I'll be at the out of college ladnmark in about 2.5 years.  I'm not looking forward to that day.

Edited by RH

22 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That more time has passed since Back to the Future came out than the time that passed between the setting of the movie and 1955?

Jeez. 1985 to 1955 = 30 years. 1985 to 2020 = 35 years. Aren't we further then whatever year Doc jumps to the future too?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which takes place in 1986 was released in 2002 - simple math tells me that's a 16 year difference. I remember in 2002 thinking that the setting was so "retro." Yet, if there was a GTA game released TODAY taking place 16 years earlier, we'd be looking back at the olden days of.... 2004. Oh my.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My youngest brother, who probably plays video games 10 hours a day, and constantly tries to tell me I need to play "good games", has never heard of A Link to the Past or Symphony of the Night.  Among others.  He represents most of a generation.

like your little brother said you need to play good games

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which takes place in 1986 was released in 2002 - simple math tells me that's a 16 year difference. I remember in 2002 thinking that the setting was so "retro." Yet, if there was a GTA game released TODAY taking place 16 years earlier, we'd be looking back at the olden days of.... 2004. Oh my.

gta3 is today what vice city was in 2002

• Wow! 1

30 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My youngest brother, who probably plays video games 10 hours a day, and constantly tries to tell me I need to play "good games", has never heard of A Link to the Past or Symphony of the Night.  Among others.  He represents most of a generation.

ex-brother*

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That's right up there with people that would argue with me that the N64 was the first Nintendo console.

Semi-related, for many years, I've had a simple definition for when someone becomes an "adult"-- it's when they look back at their childhood with a since of longing and wishing they could return to that simpler, less responsible time.  Once you hit that legit feeling, yeah, you're an adult.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That more time has passed since Back to the Future came out than the time that passed between the setting of the movie and 1955?

A lot of movies are making me feel that way. This year as much time will have passed between the release of the movie Apollo 13 and now, and the actual Apollo 13 mission and the movie release, both at 25 years.

You guys remember the 1988-93 show The Wonder Years, which takes place exactly 20 years prior (1968-73)?  If there was a Wonder Years: The Next Generation done today (well starting in 2018 to be exact) it would not take place in my pre-teen/teen years like Kevin Arnold's...it'd take place in my HS/college years!!

Not to mention we already are starting to have some people of legal age born after 9/11.  To put that in perspective, when I started HS (1995) the Vietnam War had ended 20 years prior, and now the dawn of the millennium and soon 9/11 will also be that many years back!  So to today's students the turn of the millennium and soon 9/11 is as much in the history books as 'Nam (and Watergate for that matter) was in my day.

And on a pop culture related topic, I can't believe Agnetha of ABBA just turned 70 and Frida (who is a real life princess/countess; no joke!) will be 75 later this year.  As for my favorite show when I was little, the Dukes of Hazzard (it ended its original run when I was five), Bo Duke just turned 60, Luke is 67, Daisy is 66, Enos is approaching 85, and Cletus (New Years baby!) is 74.

As for a video game related thing, Turtles in Time Neon Night Riders level, and the video game Super Baseball...they're meant to be in a "future time", just like the animated show COPS...guess what year all three (well COPS is one year off) take place in???????

Edited by Estil

I was thinking about young people, about how dumb and out of touch they've become.  I just couldn't understand them anymore and how their values seems so messed up and degenerated.  Then it hit me, "holy crap, I've turned into an old man".  That's how it went for me.  True story 😄

• Like 2

It happens on a daily basis to me. I just drift in my mind and have little flashbacks or realizations of how much has changed/how long ago some things seem.

the other day it was realizing Spongebob and Family Guy are 21 years old this year. Another is the first Austin Powers is 23.

I get it all the time too at school. I came back to college later than many and it still blows my mind that the freshman this year were not necessarily alive for 9/11. I was in 5th grade when it happened being in NJ I have alot of memories of people directly impacted by it.

Does anyone else feel like say everything before 2002 or so seems ancient but if you said "I drive a 2006 civic" I would say "eh that aint that bad..wait thats 14yrs old already...shit"

9 hours ago, CMR said:

I was thinking about young people, about how dumb and out of touch they've become.  I just couldn't understand them anymore and how their values seems so messed up and degenerated.  Then it hit me, "holy crap, I've turned into an old man".  That's how it went for me.  True story 😄

They tried to warn us back in the 90s when things seemed so modern (remember the phrase "this is the 90s" used all the time?), hi-tech, and for the most part retro things were kinda seen as objects of ridicule (as seen in the 90s Brady Bunch movies)...oh how Abe Simpson tried to warn us then, oh how he did try to warn us!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Um, hearing a 90's weekend come over the radio and jamming the hell out to all the music when I was on my way to work, i was like.........hmmmmmm, fuck im old...........and hearing RHCP on the classic rock station!?  wtf 🤣

How about Music Choice's "Classic Country" channel (the "Music Choice" line up is typically free with any cable/sattelite subscription) considering early 90s country to be "classic"?  Well, if 25 years is the cutoff point...

And in my state, we're already seeing mid-late 70s and I suppose now entering early 80s vehicles qualifying for antique/historic vehicle plates???  So I'm guessing 40 years is the cut-off for that one.  Then again in the mid-to-late 80s we had a 50s nostagia trend (as seen in the first Back to the Future and the Nick at Nite lineup at the time) and that was only going back ~30 years!