IGNORED

Little realisations that make you feel old

OptOut

Editorials Team · Posted

I've got a group of work buddies that goes (uhh, used to go) to lunch a few times a week. The youngest is in his early 20s and is really into music. When he says The Weeknd is the Michael Jackson of his generation, everyone else gives him a blank stare because we have no idea who The Weeknd is. Then he puts on "oldies" and the rest of us sing along because we know all the words.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tulpa said:

A lot of movies are making me feel that way. This year as much time will have passed between the release of the movie Apollo 13 and now, and the actual Apollo 13 mission and the movie release, both at 25 years.

I have a Masters of the Universe ringer t-shirt that was retro when it was made.

That shirt is now old enough to be vintage in its own right.

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, Estil said:

And in my state, we're already seeing mid-late 70s and I suppose now entering early 80s vehicles qualifying for antique/historic vehicle plates???  So I'm guessing 40 years is the cut-off for that one. 

Here it's 25 years to get a historical plate.   Waiting to see the wave of Chevy Cavaliers with them; about 10 years ago it was damn near every Caprice Classic had one.

11 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Here it's 25 years to get a historical plate.   Waiting to see the wave of Chevy Cavaliers with them; about 10 years ago it was damn near every Caprice Classic had one.

Time for someone to get historical plates on a Mercury Villager.

17 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It happens on a daily basis to me. I just drift in my mind and have little flashbacks or realizations of how much has changed/how long ago some things seem.

the other day it was realizing Spongebob and Family Guy are 21 years old this year. Another is the first Austin Powers is 23.

I get it all the time too at school. I came back to college later than many and it still blows my mind that the freshman this year were not necessarily alive for 9/11. I was in 5th grade when it happened being in NJ I have alot of memories of people directly impacted by it.

Does anyone else feel like say everything before 2002 or so seems ancient but if you said "I drive a 2006 civic" I would say "eh that aint that bad..wait thats 14yrs old already...shit"

Haha. I did that car bit the other day. I think I was referencing a game and said it was 15 years old commenting on how long ago that was. Then immediately realized it was about 20 years old and went ah shit.

It all started when we got interns at my last job.  I would reference stuff to them and they would say things like "I have not idea what you are talking about" or "that was before I was born." I'm only 10 years older than them but the change has happened. I'm old and choose to spend my time reminiscing with the 40yo+ coworkers.

Edited by zeppelin03

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Interestingly, going back to the 50s nostalgia craze of the mid-late 80s, and you bringing up Chevy, the '57 is probably the most famous vehicle of the decade right?  Well under our 40 year rule, it would not have counted as a historic/antique plate vehicle back during the 50s nostalgia craze mentioned above!  Not until 1997!  Speaking of 1997, that's when Hong Kong went back to China with China pinkie swearing they wouldn't meddle too much in their accustomed economic freedom for 50 years...we're already almost halfway through that

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Time for someone to get historical plates on a Mercury Villager.

I'm sure somebody already has!   The plates are like ten bucks compared to the normal 50-65ish.

They're supposed to be for show vehicles/ones driven less than 250 or 500 miles a year, but I'm guessing nobody checks up on that.

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Here is it only 20 years.  Get a nice classic Ford Contour.  

19 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

For a laugh so is the Yugo!  Arguably the worst car ever made - although India has had some contenders  also.

For as bad as they were, I experienced several Yugos that weren't bad for what they were.  I'd go for some of the Indian cars for being the arguably worst ever made, given that I've read about some Indian models bodies being made with plastic covered paper or cardboard whereas the Yugo was at least all metal on the body, even if it was comparatively junky, lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

For as bad as they were, I experienced several Yugos that weren't bad for what they were.  I'd go for some of the Indian cars for being the arguably worst ever made, given that I've read about some Indian models bodies being made with plastic covered paper or cardboard whereas the Yugo was at least all metal on the body, even if it was comparatively junky, lol.

Heh - I had a few Fiat 600s (with massive 26 HP engines) in high school - they were light years ahead of the much newer Yugos .   

9 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Probably not too far off from the Fiat Panda I rented on vacation in Eastern Europe.

Here is a pic of one:

1958_fiat_600_multipla_1542838401495d565ef66eIMG_0068.thumb.jpg.bf1da0b89f8904dd5d00d5a2f5035060.jpg

One of the three I had was that color -although mine were all in rough shape (Minnesota winters with the salt usage was really hard on cars).

I was driving home one night just past midnight (I lived in a rural area) and the foot feed cable to the (rear mounted) engine snapped,   I had neither the tools nor the light to repair it - since the engine would not do over 40 mph (well 45 downhill) I realized that if I jammed the carb open with my pocket comb I could drive home just fine by pushing in the clutch and using the brake at stop signs.  Life with those cars was always amusing.