IGNORED

Little realisations that make you feel old

OptOut

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm shooting for the year 2525.

Ever wished you could put yourself in suspended animation so you can wake up a few hundred years from now and find out what things happen and such?  Say...the year 2364?  Better be careful what you wish for!  Say did the second clip predict (a little too conservatively maybe!) correctly that TV would diminish in importance as an entertainment medium?

(did this last clip predict Ancestry.com?)

Edited by Estil

It's funny, I was telling my kids one of my "odd-man gamer" stories last night. I recounted the time we (my mother and I) rented Star Tropics from Blockbuster Video and while we enjoyed the game very much we got stuck as we couldn't figure out how to "put the letter in water" to retrieve the code. We tried all sorts of things but just couldn't figure it out. My kids asked why I didn't just use the internet, I laughed and told them it wasn't really a thing at that point. So when we get stuck in a video game we either had to give in or keep trying different methods until we got through. Anyhow, the story ends with my ten year old self sitting in front of the TV for hours going through different combinations of numbers until I figured it out. So we were able to continue playing! Fun little story that displays just how different things are now.

• Like 1

Star Wars Prequel memes are the new hotness

Revenge of the Sith is 15 years old (yikes)
The Phantom Menace is 21 years old (double yikes)

I remember the Star Wars Prequel memes/fads from when those movies came out:

3 hours ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Minecraft and the Xbox360 are now considered "retro"

360 came out in late 2015.  It is going to be joining the "retro" club soon

7 hours ago, Tenjikuronin said:

I'm genuinely curious -- which car was this?

I don't remember the specific name but recall it being some relatively small, narrow vehicle that kind of looked like a microbus while being about the size of a subcompact car and had some ridiculously low pricetag of something like $500-1000 new.  I couldn't find it searching around online, but did discover that the Trebant, an East German car manufactured from the late 50s through 1990 actually did the same thing--compressed cardboard covered with a plastic polymer for the body.  I remember a friend pointing it out to me a bit over 10 years ago and me thinking it didn't look so bad for the price...until he pointed out that it was literally made of cardboard, and any sort of collision would pretty much end not only the car, but anybody riding within as well.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I don't remember the specific name but recall it being some relatively small, narrow vehicle that kind of looked like a microbus while being about the size of a subcompact car and had some ridiculously low pricetag of something like $500-1000 new.  

No worries -- I was just intrigued by the cardboard framing part.  That sort of thing would not go well during monsoon season in India...haha

11 minutes ago, Tenjikuronin said:

No worries -- I was just intrigued by the cardboard framing part.  That sort of thing would not go well during monsoon season in India...haha

The US has had its fair share of catastrophically designed vehicles. I had a friend who was driving a brand new Chevy Vega on I-80 traversing Nebraska when one of the pistons came flying out through the hood,

The Vega had an aluminum alloy block engine  with sundry parts made from cast iron*.  Given the fact that different metals expand/contract at different rates this was not a terribly good idea.   When not ejecting parts, the blocks warped terribly easily.

*I think it had cylinder sleeves made of either cast iron or steel.

• Like 1