IGNORED

Vinyl Expected to Outsell CDs by End of Year... Retro is In Apparently!

jonebone

Saw an interesting article worth sharing:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/national-news/vinyl-expected-to-outsell-cds-by-end-of-the-year/1134307215

Cliff Notes:

Sales of new and new and used vinyl records have been increasing over the past decade, going up 55.8% from 2010 to 2011 and 131.8% from 2011 to 2012, CNBC said, according to eBay data. The network also said there was an 18.5% year-over-year increase in sales of new records from 2016 to 2017.

Vinyl is making a comeback apparently, but when's the last time anyone has listened to a CD?  It's been several years for me.  It's all radio / streaming / SiriusXM in my car.  This isn't that much of shocking news, but neat to see. 

Not surprising.  Vinyl has been "cool" for a long time and I kind of appreciate how it's about the last vestige of the analog era that still lives.  Long live vinyl.  We've lost everything else. I wish it were CRTs or even cameras with film, but I'll take what I can get.

CDs are physical media, which is great, but since there's no benefit to owning a CD other than "it's yours" for as long as the disc lasts, there's no benefit.  Most music is online now and it's different than vintage video games.  CDs are only useful for music you're pretty sure will disappear with obscurity.  But, if you're going to have physical media, you might as well have it on something with a bit of dynamic range.  Well, it should.  Most "new" vinyl albums to day are rips of CDs, supposedly, which is sad.

I still buy CDs occasionally. I don’t see a benefit to just downloading a song when I can own the CD and rip it to an mp3.

I never grew up on vinyl. My dad has a bunch of records, but I really only heard a handful as a kid. I get the benefit of vinyl, but they take up too much space for me. I like reading the lyrics, notes, etc that come with a CD.

1 hour ago, Bear85 said:

The quality of the pressing being produced these days is crap thought, and I’m getting tired of all these multi colored vinyl records 

Well, you don't buy vinyl records for high sound quality or to actually listen to it. You buy it to discuss the nuances of a bad media format with other enthusiasts.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Well, you don't buy vinyl records for high sound quality or to actually listen to it. You buy it to discuss the nuances of a bad media format with other enthusiasts.

I don’t know what kind of people you hang out with but I buy my vinyl to play it. It’s a bummer when you buy new vinyl to only open it and it’s  warped to the point that you can surf on it. 

For example, I purchased this record new, upon inspecting it I noticed this (video below), thinking I might have gotten a defective record I purchased another copy of the same record and the same issue was present. This is not the first new vinyl record that I purchased within a year that had this issue. This resurgence in vinyl popularity forces manufactures to just crank them out with no care to quality, then again can you blame them when the majority of the people buying records now a days are using Crosley record players or other cheap players. 

Edited by Bear85

Well duh...to the "retro is in" part.

And as a few others have said, I don't buy CDs. I mean I'll occasionally buy a movie soundtrack or video game soundtrack if I find them used for cheap (or if LRG has the option to buy the game and the CD soundtrack). But I don't buy music new. I use Youtube or other means of listening to music.

As for why vinyl is in...idk...

On 10/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, buttheadrulesagain said:

At least vinyl does not have DRMA :v . But you can't copy it either... Maybe I'll try that new medium everybody is talking about, I think they call it cassette tapes or something?

Funny you say that because cassette collecting has become pretty popular lately too. A lot of bands in the 80s released only on cassettes with it sorta being the medium between vinyl and CD, so theres some rare stuff.

I already pay monthly for the convenience of Spotify, so I can’t really justify paying $30+ for the same album I’m already paying for just so I can have it on vinyl and have to get up and flip the record over. CD’s are the perfect compromise between convenience and “owning it physically” for me.

Before I had a car from this century to stream music from my phone in, I was shuffling through CDs in my raggedy old 1998 Ranger. That builds character... I think?

I will however collect vinyl for older or obscure artists that I like, like Eric Dolphy. If I see a record of his I don’t have, I always buy it.

Edited by The Strangest

• 2 weeks later...

I don't buy much CD media, I would prefer to listen to FLAC from rips and p2p, but I mainly purchase vinyl. The newer 180g pressings and limited run colored vinyl is just staggering! Too bad a lot of colored pressings and picture discs are usually noisy to listen to on a turntable...

I’ve been seeing this for a while now. I go to a lot of concerts at small venues and I’m seeing more records, fewer CDs at the merch tables. I’m not really happy with that but what can I do.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, ICrappedMyPants said:

I don’t see a benefit to just downloading a song when I can own the CD and rip it to an mp3.

I get the benefit of vinyl, but they take up too much space for me. I like reading the lyrics, notes, etc that come with a CD.

My sentiments exactly. I buy music but not intangible formats, same with games. And I like to keep my music all together. CD plays well to sit together with other formats (video, and the odd audio cassette here and there)  but 12” records don’t.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:58 PM, Hammerfestus said:

The last time I was in Walmart they redid their electronics department and there was a whole vinyl section.  What the hell?

Yeah Walmart does have a vinyl section again. Pretty late to the party if anything. I personally thought I had heard cassettes outsold CDs in 2018 but maybe that isn't true. I had thought vinyl overtook CDs a few years back.