IGNORED

VGS Restoration Shop 🛠️

fsped09

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was trying to play Cowboy Kid and it kept coming up all glitchy. I know it's not my system because I have an Analogue nt noir that's basically brand new and I was just playing Kid Klown fine. Tried IPA 99% a little better but not perfect. Decided to break out the ol pencil eraser trick which I've never done and it worked like a charm. I did clean the contacts again with IPA to get the eraser debris off but would recommend as a fix.

Just putting out there it did work for me. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, bowser said:

Amazing! Can you please post a quick tutorial?

You will need an iron and an ironing pad (or a pillowcase or t-shirt, anything cotton, white and thin will do)

1. Set the iron to medium - high heat, no steam - you should have a button that lets you release steam even when the steam is set to zero
  2. Unfold the boxes and flatten (if they have built in trays, just carefully flatten those as you go - the whole thing can flatten)
  3. Start with the art side of the flaps facing up
  4. Double check that everything is flattened the right way - you wouldn't want to iron a crease the wrong way
  5. Hit the box with a bit of steam from the iron
  6. Put the ironing pad over the box (I have one that is mesh which is nice because I can see through it)
  7. Slowly iron over the whole thing, make a few passes
  8. Flip the box over
  9. Iron over that side too
  10. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool
  11. Fold it back
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

So I brought a bunch of stuff to the local game store to trade in. One was a PS2 slim and they tested it and it wouldn’t turn on so they didn’t want it. Took it home, took it apart and saw a video that sometimes that ac adapter Jack comes loose. Ok, re-soldered it and added some extra solder. Plugged in an ac adapter and nothing. Tested continuity and had accidentally bridged inside the jack by adding little too much solder. De-soldered the jack out with the air gin, got my solder iron and some wick and unfucked my mess. Re-soldered it back in and viola power comes on no issue. 

Fucker won’t read discs now….I’m going to bed. 

Edit: took another look this morning and tried to IPA the laser eye. No good, I think it’s dead. The disk motor that moves it back and forth seems fine so I ordered another laser assembly from Amazon for $20, although for $7-$10 more I could have got the entire assembly but don’t have the patience to wait for eBay shipping lol

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

I'm very proud of this one. I was kind of nervous because the game belongs to another member here so I had no room for error. But it turned out better than I thought it would at the end!

I managed to get this stubborn sticker off of Sparkster with absolutely zero damage to the label.

BEFORE:

O7R6dQs.jpg

DURING:

I took off the sticker in layers. First the paper part.

hxGjiw1.jpg

Next, the metal strip but forgot to take a picture. Finally, this nasty adhesive layer. It was very slow going and took about an hour.

AjboyRA.jpg

AFTER:

fPfJoDe.jpg

Edited by bowser
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

Moderator · Posted
On 12/1/2021 at 8:39 PM, bowser said:

I'm very proud of this one. I was kind of nervous because the game belongs to another member here so I had no room for error. But it turned out better than I thought it would at the end!

I managed to get this stubborn sticker off of Sparkster with absolutely zero damage to the label.

BEFORE:

O7R6dQs.jpg

DURING:

I took off the sticker in layers. First the paper part.

hxGjiw1.jpg

Then this nasty adhesive layer. I pulled off the metal strip before continuing with the final adhesive layer but forgot to take a picture.

AjboyRA.jpg

AFTER:

fPfJoDe.jpg

Amazing results!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Can I Bestine a Blockbuster overlay off a PlayStation disc?

I tried once lighter fluid and ended up washing away some art 😧 on a god damned PS2 Haunting Ground.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:38 PM, MiamiSlice said:

If it’s on the art side I think it’s fine. I’ve done it and haven’t had issues.

Next time put up some pics!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recapping a shot Game Gear audio board. Got me a blue one on eBay for a good price because the sound wasn’t working. Waiting for the new caps to come today. Will add finished product when they do. 

edit: got the new caps done - they came out ugly because console5 sends surface mount replacements instead of through hole and the reflow gun got away from me a bit. Put it all back together and I have sound now and don’t want to mess with it haha  

DC01A84E-CFE4-4BAD-9B48-1CADEF0F51D8.jpeg

8312E9E3-A0BE-459E-A4A1-947B8F0C5403.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

I didn't know about this thread.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, but I was successful in replacing the right analogue stick on my son's Switch Joy Con which lost its R3 functionality.  I found a six pack of replacement analogue sticks for about $12, so I have extras in case another one breaks or if the new ones don't last long.  Super easy fix and everything works perfectly now, so my 5 year old is happy.  

• Like 2