IGNORED

VGS Restoration Shop 🛠️

fsped09

3 hours ago, drxandy said:

Can you take a pic or give more detail?

I did my best to try to capture it on my phone camera. It looks like dried up something on there. I don't wanna just strat running it w alcohol though. The box has seen better days and I'd rather leave it than make it worse  868311795_IMG_20200828_2031372.thumb.jpg.6417e0db80cbc668a9bac84cb69733e1.jpg451520571_IMG_20200828_2031222.thumb.jpg.096ce9625864378da56d7c6ed16576b3.jpg

@RegularGuyGamer i  honestly would try a paper towel with water but squeezed out, along with a separate dry p.towel to make sure the box is fully dried.

I have also used 70% isopropyl alcohol same method on nes boxes and it hasn't caused me issue but I try not to use much product. The best way with cleaning in uncharted waters is test a small area and see if any color picks up. 

I hear a product called bestine is really good for cleaning on printed art, I know @MiamiSlice has used it with good success, I wanna try it but haven't found it locally yet.

• Thanks 1

Oh if I had known about this thread! I wouldn't have been making my own threads!

@drxandy I had to get Bestine online. I've heard it doesn't exist or something in Europe. If you can't find that or Un-du, then just plain old lighter fluid will work too. They are all the same thing, heptane. 

I also second that water could work. If you can, use distilled water, or purified water. Not just straight up tap water. It won't damage the box if you don't use too much. But for this you probably need heptane. @RegularGuyGamer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:10 AM, drxandy said:

Complete! Well kinda.. eventually will change the buttons out with some sanwas or seimitsus but I'm happy with the results.

Solid job fixing up that yellowing on that fantastic HORI controller.  A couple weeks back I scored that very one at a goodwill for a few bucks and was really surprised how well made it was and it seemingly works on PC very well with games where you can properly setup your own controls, including MAME.  I've not tried any emulator yet, won't put MAME on here as it's a pain, but it did get me thinking to ask you, have you considered more work on it?  They're made in a way you can pop out the cheap parts it uses and it will natively take Sanwa arcade stick and buttons in case you're intending to use it for that.  It would be a nice additional mod to the restoration.

Today I fixed my Game Gear that had no audio and extremely dim screen. Replaced all the caps inside and it's as good as new. It's a rather painful job though since it took several hours to do. I never knew they can be that loud at full volume.

Now I have to do 4 more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Solid job fixing up that yellowing on that fantastic HORI controller.  A couple weeks back I scored that very one at a goodwill for a few bucks and was really surprised how well made it was and it seemingly works on PC very well with games where you can properly setup your own controls, including MAME.  I've not tried any emulator yet, won't put MAME on here as it's a pain, but it did get me thinking to ask you, have you considered more work on it?  They're made in a way you can pop out the cheap parts it uses and it will natively take Sanwa arcade stick and buttons in case you're intending to use it for that.  It would be a nice additional mod to the restoration.

I think you have a different fancier model, but this one is definitely not intended to be user serviceable and requires a bit of tinkering. The button contacts are soldered in to boards, so basically ya gotta desolder the contacts or clip em and remove old buttons, file or dremel the case button holes to remove tabs so that the good buttons will fit, then either wiring with quick connects or just wire soldered from the buttons to the boards. The joystick has separate switches and could easily be changed out to fancier hardware, I have only installed sanwa jlf sticks and they basically have a board that the switches are connected to so it streamlines the wiring into a 5-6? Pin connector whereas this lever has 4 separate switches and double that in wires, potatoes to tomatoes.

I do have a couple mad catz sticks that take drop in replacement parts and they are way fun to work on.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Aguy said:

Not much of a transformation/restoration, but here are the pictures from the eBay posting I bought.

Screenshot_20200911-103304~2.png

Screenshot_20200911-103325~2.png

The seller just sent it as is in a bubble mailer, so it arrived even worse, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. And here it is after a week of pressing, ironing, and another week of pressing. The form is solid, but I couldn't get that impress on the lower half of the back.

IMG_20200911_103023772.jpg

IMG_20200911_102959329.jpg

IMG_20200911_103011344.jpg

• Like 2

I take it that was broken down and ironed to try and restore some flatness and durability to it again?  That front corner was just destroyed so the fact it's up again like that is pretty nice.

I've got this magazine insert from Nintendo Power (part 2 of the SMB2 guide) some oaf mailed to me in a bubble bag with no protection, and of course the USPS decided to run it over or stab it, maybe both, as it's wrinkled and nicked on the long open side edge with black crap smeared into the rear page.  So mangled the folding run all through to the cover just mangled.  I've had good luck using the iron on boxes  before so I"m thinking it maybe time to try it on each page individually using the iron, steam, and a white t-shirt and hope for the best.  It's cheap but I really don't want to re-order another.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RH said:

Dang man.  That's sweet.  That's it, I have to get some of this miracle chemical called Bestine.

Here’s a video of me removing a sticker seal: https://imgur.com/a/cDsNk35

If I wasn’t holding the phone with one hand I’d be using that hand to pull the sticker while applying Bestine simultaneously and it would be a smooth quick process. 

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
On 9/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, MiamiSlice said:

Here’s a video of me removing a sticker seal: https://imgur.com/a/cDsNk35

If I wasn’t holding the phone with one hand I’d be using that hand to pull the sticker while applying Bestine simultaneously and it would be a smooth quick process. 

Patience. That's what it comes down to. The video was a nail biter!

• 4 months later...