IGNORED

VGS Restoration Shop 🛠️

fsped09

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I didn't know about this thread.  Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, but I was successful in replacing the right analogue stick on my son's Switch Joy Con which lost its R3 functionality.  I found a six pack of replacement analogue sticks for about $12, so I have extras in case another one breaks or if the new ones don't last long.  Super easy fix and everything works perfectly now, so my 5 year old is happy.  

Controllers from all generations are pretty easy to take apart and fix given you can find the parts. Joy cons are a bitch though so congrats

Since I only recent noticed this thread, I will share another project that I completed years ago and shared on another forum.  

Anyone familiar with the Sega Master System knows that a lot of the games had the jump and action buttons reversed from what most would consider being "normal."  Now maybe if you grew up with a Master System, you might find this method to be standard, but for the rest of us, it’s backwards.  For me, games like Alex Kidd are nearly unplayable because I cannot get myself used to this setup. 

In order to get around this issue, I just reversed the wires running to the 1 and 2 buttons on my Master System Controller.  It was pretty straight forward.  Just desolder with white and blue wires running to the 1 and 2 buttons, then simply reverse the wires and resolder everything.  I tested it and everything worked perfectly.  I couldn’t believe how much easier it was to play Alex Kidd. 

Afterwards, all I had to do was label my controller as “reversed” so I don’t mix it up with my regular controller.  Some games don’t need the reversed configuration.  One thing to keep in mind is that Master System controllers don’t have “start” buttons.  They just use the 1 button instead.  With the reversed setup, the 2 button will become the “start” button.

Disassembled controller.  Note that I’ve already desoldered and reversed the white and blue wires.  I forgot to take an official “before” picture.

10.jpg

Finished product.

11.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Did some ironing and even a bit of gluing. Both of these boxes were in bad shape. Now they look somewhat decent. 

Before: 

8TJt8dX.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The box under the ironing pad: 

ijeroaT.jpg

After: 

A1MZP9v.jpg

zHhH6gK.jpg

This one had flaps that were splitting and some pretty big tears: 

7VbhxER.jpg

Even after ironing it I had to apply some wood glue in the tears and between the layers of cardboard that were separating in order to seal it up. 

Result: 

A0ddONs.jpg

r5qTJS5.jpg

lfW4Doe.jpg

w6RuzWM.jpg

I also managed to iron the cover art and manual for a DS game where the cover art was wavy and the manual had creases. Turned out great. No pictures though. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some free time and managed to finish upcycling these broken watches from 1994:

fJkOlAZ.jpg

I had about 14 in all, not all of them had complete straps, so some are just without straps now. Look good on a desk. Makes more sense than the ones with straps… they are just decorative non-functional watches.

uwy8CMi.jpg

Might sell a few, haven’t decided yet. 

• Like 4

Technically not a restoration, but after having some issues with my OG GameBoy screen, I am very happy with this LED modification to breathe new life into probably my favorite system of all time. For those interested, this is the IPS LCD v5 kit from https://handheldlegend.com/. Really great product with nice results, I'd recommend it!

226288407_GBmod.jpg.6ee9b0eca603ec209ccc5e3ea9c7ad9d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, portabello said:

Technically not a restoration, but after having some issues with my OG GameBoy screen, I am very happy with this LED modification to breathe new life into probably my favorite system of all time. For those interested, this is the IPS LCD v5 kit from https://handheldlegend.com/. Really great product with nice results, I'd recommend it!

Ahh no that counts and you did it justice too.  You merged the modern and vintage perfectly.  The failed poor thin plastic lens and finished off screen gone with solid replacements while still basically housing all the original other components.  That's a hell of a restoration, rustoration?  I've done a few, and HHL has the best standards I found when sourcing parts, even if they may come from similar factories they seem to try and sort the good from the less nice from the various ones I've picked up to rehab before the lame pandemic.  Costs though on handhelds went up, kits slightly, where it's just not profitable at all now so I stopped as I enjoyed fixing them for others but money would end up tied up for weeks, over a month. 😕  At this rate the only thing I could do now is my NGPC and I just am not motivated.

Currently since I got FFL3 in my hands yesterday finally I've been using my similarly worked up GBC.  I had an all stock GBC Atomic purple and popped in the IPS panel for that and it's stunning.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
On 3/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, portabello said:

226288407_GBmod.jpg.6ee9b0eca603ec209ccc5e3ea9c7ad9d.jpg

Looks like a restoration to me! That screen looks incredible!

• Agree 1

Here’s my first experiment with n-Heptine (which is what Bestine is and can be a little cheaper) on paper.  Wow, this was easy and it really does work well on paper surfaces! As you can see a nasty Game Stop (why did they slap it on the insert?!) was taken off quite effectively and we all know how those little jerks are near impossible to take off by other means.

BEFORE

7EDBE8DD-D097-4E28-ABAD-15E41C2396B3.jpeg.73bb1c50a1c7951bd4cf0ed18e4a6252.jpeg

AFTER

7C1FF010-17A3-49C6-93DF-1C0C02B0928B.jpeg.12f3ceff57739334bbd1d7188792dcf7.jpeg6FAB9893-7FCC-4EA7-9091-2200F0E7215D.jpeg.1076ca22cd72da96b09b80a65bedcf6e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

told ya so!

They used to put those directly on the insert because people would swap the cases and try to argue with the cashier that the $39.99 game was actually $4.99 because it had a $4.99 sticker on it. Putting the sticker right on the insert made it impossible to do that. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Where again is the best place to purchase heptane/bestine at?

I got the n-Heptine from Amazon, however, if you want to get the best deal, I found one place that sells it by the gallon and it's much cheaper.  It's this only site too.  I don't know why you'd need this much, but the next best size is an 16 oz bottle.

https://www.allartsupplies.com/item.php?articleId=4718

This site isn't the best place because of the shipping costs, however, if you buy the gallon, it is worth it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found a nes, looking a little beat and missing the door. 

20220410_150026.jpg.2c6de4170c8c5e0369e30644287553a3.jpg

Took the top off and cleaned a little, then tried a cart.

20220410_165331.thumb.jpg.1375f4b4ddd3fdd1b1001a6787b3f13d.jpg

It works! Just a little loose, gonna have to bend some pins to make it close to perfect but after a bath:

20220410_182057.jpg.0971ebb32fccdfffc39d4aa572a26fe3.jpg

Thinking about filling the cracks on the edges of the top and giving the top a paint job but leaving the bottom and black parts alone.

Now to find a door, but pretty happy with the results so far!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not games, but here's another win for Bestine, but it was a tag team with Goo Gone.

I bought this years ago from a $.50 shop in the small town my college was in.  This was probably round 2000-01.  I've kept it all these years but never bothered to remove the sticker on the plastic because this thing is super-criiiiiiispy and I didn't want to risk damaging it.  It's been in my collection of shelf items for decades, and being that I've learned a lot and gained a lot of proper tools for jobs, I figured I'd finally try to take off the sticker.

Well, the sticker was crispy too but not in a good way.  It was dried on and not going anywhere.  The n-Heptine (Bestine) was able to wipe off the sticker residue that was showing with ease, but even with multiple douses of n-Heptine on the thicker the fully layered sticker portions weren't budging.

I then soaked the with Goo Gone to soften it up.  I very patiently picked slowly at the edge until I could peal off little pieces and strips.  Eventually it was gone and all that was left was sticker grime, which is commonly the hardest part to finish up with Goo Gone, but the n-Heptine made the final clean up a breeze.

This has to have been the hardest sticker I've had to clean 100% because this thing is so fragile and that sticker was so fragile.  I was glad to see that even with some of the toughest of battles, with patience it was actually easy to fix.

BEFORE

IMG_3869.JPG.ad5578c7dc11a82a1aea8b64099f12e4.JPG

AFTER

IMG_3870.JPG.8110df1b82a667ff5f5e023fd1de86a6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1