IGNORED

VGS Restoration Shop 🛠️

fsped09

8 hours ago, fsped09 said:

Nice clean up!!

Did you take a shot at the tape on the back sticker or just left it as is? Think you could probably get the rest of the magic marker off with rubbing alcohol?

Thanks. Didn’t want to mess with the sticker on the back because I thought it might do some damage. The stuff is really on there good. Only comes off with goo gone and even then it’s an exercise.

I was looking to just replace the back half of the shell, but this is one of those special shells that only a few games use.

On the front, the remaining black marks are impregnated into scratches. Can’t do much about those. If you rub into the Megaman X3 label, you’ll start to rub away all of the color. So I’m just going to leave it as is

Moderator · Posted
On 10/26/2019 at 7:18 AM, phart010 said:

Didn’t want to mess with the sticker on the back because I thought it might do some damage. The stuff is really on there good. Only comes off with goo gone and even then it’s an exercise.

It is a sticker residue? Did you try a heat gun and a plastic putty knife? That might work.  While GooGone will do the trick, it'll will need to be a "dry" removal since the sticker underneath is just paper with no laminate. 

3 hours ago, acromite53 said:

I was going to come in here and recommend a back swap. What is different about this back shell?

Megaman x3 has the special chip. So the cartridge needs more pins to go into the system. This is one of those carts that has two extra pcb comm sections surrounding the standard pcb comm sections that regular games have. So the cartridge shell also has extra notches for those pcb sections to poke through

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Megaman x3 has the special chip. So the cartridge needs more pins to go into the system. This is one of those carts that has two extra pcb comm sections surrounding the standard pcb comm sections that regular games have. So the cartridge shell also has extra notches for those pcb sections to poke through

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Could you elaborate this point?

I apply the cream with that paint brush.

Then cover it with the Saran Wrap.

After that put it in the sun for a couple hours. 

careful don’t let the cream dry. It can scar (melt?) the plastic. 

3B166BE6-ED2F-453D-A8B4-F1FC5EE77C4A.jpeg

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

First, AMAZING results, I'm very impressed. 

Second, I did the same with the Gameboy I restored, its in the first pic. I did hit the issue you mentioned about "scarring." I think it was also due to not moving the cream around. Anyway, I've switched from the cream to the 40 Solution mixed with water. There is little chance of scarring and you get a nice even application. 

Again, really nice work!

For those interested these are the two products that aid in the "Retrobrite" process (always wear gloves and eye protection when using these, they're strong).  Lots of videos on YouTube on how to Retrobrite. Some are better than others. For me it was trial and error and I had more success with the clear than the creme.

image.pngimage.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fsped09 said:

First, AMAZING results, I'm very impressed. 

Second, I did the same with the Gameboy I restored, its in the first pic. I did hit the issue you mentioned about "scarring." I think it was also due to not moving the cream around. Anyway, I've switched from the cream to the 40 Solution mixed with water. There is little chance of scarring and you get a nice even application. 

Again, really nice work!

Thank you. That game boy clean up you did is top notch. Also, thanks for making this thread. I enjoy cleaning this stuff up as much as I enjoy playing it. And to see something come back to life like this because someone cared enough to give it a second life really makes me feel good. It’s nice to see others get the same enjoyment. I get a bit attached to the items sometimes with a restore like this lol. 

how do you like mixing the 40 cream with water? I like the way it goes on as is. Yes, I check on it every hour it’s in the sun and move it around a little. 

• Like 1

Got these the other day.  Cleaned up from the inside out, both had very loose 72 pin connectors so I boiled and adjusted each pin with the dull side of an exacto knife. Both work now, the clean looking one in the back was beautiful inside, almost pristine. I accidentally set the pins a little tight in this one and it doesn't work with the game pressed down but that's probably fine because it's less stress on the connector to just insert a game and not press. Frankly I don't want to take it apart again after spending 3-4hrs on Saturday.

The yellowed one works stock, removed the sharpie from the corner, any dings with an eraser and tried my best to make it less yellow without peroxide. This one I have hooked up to my tv now, so stoked to get back into nes. 

Also sorry Michael.

20191106_172749.jpg

20191111_172703.jpg

20191106_175755.jpg

20191111_173012.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

Can the peroxide mess up the red Nintendo entertainment system logo on the door? I have never messed around with retro brite-ing, but wanna do the yellowy one above.

@drxandy

i remove the little door and put the peroxide cream all over it, doesn’t seem to mess up the red “Nintendo”.

i only use the cream straight up, I don’t mix it with anything. 

poor Michael 😞 I always leave people’s names on lol 

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

Can the peroxide mess up the red Nintendo entertainment system logo on the door? I have never messed around with retro brite-ing, but wanna do the yellowy one above.

I think they used tank paint for that logo. LOL. It didn't affect any of the paint on the Gameboy I did. 

• Thanks 1