IGNORED

Animal Crossing: New Horizons!

Skorp

Not sure why I never realized it before, but the mailorder catalog has quite a few items I never picked up in the Nook shop, let alone even seen there either.  Shame it s 5 per day.  I'm going ot start getting some basic nice furniture for my place now that I have my back room which I'm turning into the bedroom/bathroom combo.  Party in the front, business in the back, a reverse mullet house.  I came on too late to do any shopping or selling either, so I cut it short which I don't mind.  I realized if I wanted to blow almost all I had I could just pay off the house expansion but I'm like not interested.  I'd rather make something nice of what is there than add yet another space.  When tomorrow rolls around I got 2 fossils held, a few other little tidbits, and most my foreign fruit will ripen so I can make some solid bank on that.

Question for those of you playing the game.  I know it's rated E for Everyone, but is the game playable for someone who is just now learning to read?  I'm thinking my son would enjoy this game, but he is in Kindergarten and in the very early stages of reading.  I don't mind helping him with the games he plays, but I don't always have time to sit over his shoulder and read everything for him.  Will he be lost?  If so, I might wait until next year to get it for him.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Question for those of you playing the game.  I know it's rated E for Everyone, but is the game playable for someone who is just now learning to read?  I'm thinking my son would enjoy this game, but he is in Kindergarten and in the very early stages of reading.  I don't mind helping him with the games he plays, but I don't always have time to sit over his shoulder and read everything for him.  Will he be lost?  If so, I might wait until next year to get it for him.  

I was wondering the same thing.  My daughter is in 1st grade, so she can read decently but I am afraid that if it is too much reading she wouldn't understand.  They keep running commercials on Nick Jr and she keeps asking about it.

We used to play Mario Kart 8 every night and now have transitioned into Mario party every night.  

I'd say if they can handle something about See Spot Run level or +1 over that, sure.  Even without most of it is doable once you explain to them what a few little things do, like which bit of letters to press to sell or buy from the shop type things.  The language is for the most part very basic.  If you showed them what a few words were so they'd know about basic trades and selling it's good to go.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chuppa said:

I was wondering the same thing.  My daughter is in 1st grade, so she can read decently but I am afraid that if it is too much reading she wouldn't understand.  They keep running commercials on Nick Jr and she keeps asking about it.

We used to play Mario Kart 8 every night and now have transitioned into Mario party every night.  

It depends on how you plan on playing. My kids are 5 and 6 years old, and it is too much reading for them.  That said if they are the 2nd or 3rd player on your island it will still be plenty of fun.  The first player is tasked with 100% of the events that advance the island progression, and they often times have to do very specific things.  So if your kids create the 1st player they will probably get stuck early with a very basic island, unless you are there to read everything for them.  If you play as 1st player and work on the tasks, then it opens it up for the kids to do more free play, and that works great.  

If your kids are anything like mine, be prepared for them to steal any cool furniture you leave outside...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, B.A. said:

It depends on how you plan on playing. My kids are 5 and 6 years old, and it is too much reading for them.  That said if they are the 2nd or 3rd player on your island it will still be plenty of fun.  The first player is tasked with 100% of the events that advance the island progression, and they often times have to do very specific things.  So if your kids create the 1st player they will probably get stuck early with a very basic island, unless you are there to read everything for them.  If you play as 1st player and work on the tasks, then it opens it up for the kids to do more free play, and that works great.  

If your kids are anything like mine, be prepared for them to steal any cool furniture you leave outside...

That's super helpful.  I've never gotten into any of the Animal Crossing games in the past, so I'm not sure if I want to try this one out or not, but it sounds like it would be best for me to be playing it as well if my 6 year old wants to enjoy it, unless of course I wait a year or two for him to get older.  I'll definitely think about it.  Fortunately, since getting the Switch for Christmas, my son still hasn't gotten tired of Mario Kart yet, and we haven't even tried out Mario Party yet.  So I might have enough to keep him busy for a while.  

I just got Animal Crossing to play through with my 5 year old.  We had been playing Pokemon Yellow together and that worked well.  Same thing applied on that one.  Easy for them to walk around and battle but hard to upgrade Pokemon, use items, etc.  Child can play but parents have to help for completion!

4 hours ago, B.A. said:

Finally caught a barreleye last night.  Just have that damn pop-eyed goldfish left. 500 tadpoles, no goldfish. 

I do wonder why I seem to catch Barreleyes quite often and everyone else has that fish as one of their last ones. The first day I played this game I caught one too and also caught 3 of them yesterday. Some strange RNG going on. Like Tuna is the rarest fish for me on the pier while Fleck has Tuna coming in one after another! xD

Anyways, first time it rained on the island today and finally have one for the museum!

93774864_2888164077966199_64285498872095

30 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I just got Animal Crossing to play through with my 5 year old.  We had been playing Pokemon Yellow together and that worked well.  Same thing applied on that one.  Easy for them to walk around and battle but hard to upgrade Pokemon, use items, etc.  Child can play but parents have to help for completion!

Right, like just because Nidoking's first move is poison sting doesn't mean it's his ONLY move.

Anyone have the various pinball machines, a ping pong table, neon signs/neon clock, desktop computer, LCD TVs and anything else that might belong in an arcade that they'd be willing to let me catalog? Trying to make a basement arcade. I've already cataloged the three arcade games, the arcade seat, the dart board, the jukebox, the foosball table, the pool table, a popcorn machine and I have the break tapper "slot machine" from Pocket Camp...

I tried asking around on Reddit but...I'm getting a bunch of people flaking out on me at the last second or asking for stuff I don't have for a fee to come catalog...

I get tipping...but a fee? Seriously, I'm just asking to pick up your items then drop them and leave. Why charge a fee for that. Plus I'm broke so...can't afford it at any rate.

5 hours ago, 8-bit_boice said:

I've got the white arcade and the arcade seat but that's it. I'd really like to catalog all the pinball machines and other arcade-ish stuff sometime if you don't mind @Astor Reinhardt. I'll let you know if I come across anything that might interest you. I do have the big blockbuster style bubblegum machine.

I have the foosball table already made so it can be cataloged. Want to catalog it and I'll catalog your bubblegum machine?

Haven't come across anything yet. No arcades, TVs, machines, nothing. 😞 I really want any arcade cabinet. About to get the basement built tomorrow, so gonna prepare that one. If anyone has a drumset, that's something I'd love to add to the media room. Got the guitars, bass, stereo, DJ. Just need that one and I believe a keyboard. I do have the Animal Crossing Switch in case anyone needs that.

Edited by Skorp

Ahh dumb, the rain...that's why I'm not seeing the old fossil fish, and I've never seen a tuna either.  Today I wanted to watch some stuff, so I did the usual junk picked up a few things from the mail order shop too, and hit one island, the kind of junky one where it spirals in the center.  It was a let down, couldn't even harvest up a load of moths entirely as it just was being sparse this time so I called it there.

Yeah, you only see that fish in the rain otherwise you'll never get it. I've heard though it is possible to see that fish without rain, but I've never had that happen to me. The Tuna at the pier seems to be super random. I've caught 3 of them today when usually they are very rare for me on my island. Barreleye though, always catch it everyday. Wish it was raining today as I have CJ on the island. I only had rain for 4 hours and it went away yesterday. Lame. Ah well, ended up so far 400k bells selling to CJ and trying to put a dent to the basement bill. I do have 1 million bells saved up though lol, but don't want to spend them for some reason. I also have the cliff and river permit, so been really doing a lot with that trying to be able to add bridges where I wasn't able to  before and really trying to add an incline near the east side beach, but so far no luck. Keeps saying it is close to the ledge.

Edited by Skorp

I haven't checked the clock on mine, but I bet compared to most I'm slacking.  I'll usually commit a minimum of 45min a day but usually no more than probably 1.5-2 tops.  There's only so much to do really before I get kind of tired of going in circles.  I am though enjoying it more than I thought, even if the item breaking is pretty insufferable.  I really hope they patch it with a break meter on them so you can know what's left of them like Zelda BOTW has.