IGNORED

What happened to nintendoage?

48 minutes ago, G-type said:

But not TOO early... or else you're paying retail.

Actually in the good old days (when used game stores were plentiful) new stuff would turn up as used  pretty quickly.  So a $60 new game would typically sell for $35-$40.  Once a platform died and new releases dried up prices would start to crawl upwards.   (It helped if you had good working relationships with the store staff - they would usually hold stuff for me or give me bits and pieces I needed.)  I was able to get the first 6 art discs for Lunar Silver Star* (Sega CD) for about $30 each and the 4 art discs for Dragon Force (Saturn) for about $35 each.

*I was later able to score two copies of the seventh for $40 each when someone listed them on ebay as two buy it nows and they didn't know what they had. 

On 3/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tanooki said:

Thinking back about it and reading the threads here before I arrived and on that effectively dead site, in a way I think the best comparison to what happened to NA is the movie/book Old Yeller.  Had a pretty full life, started to show some age, someone came along acting nice and caring to take it out for a fun time, then put a bullet into the back of its head when it was distracted and not looking.

I relate the movie "The Last Picture Show" * to that whole tragic story.   

*Mostly the pathetic moribund backwater town the movie was set in.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

I'd never heard of NA until googling 'custom video game posters for sale' and pulled up an NA FS post 10+ years ago. After that, I always had the FS/FO shortcut link on my phone & work computer until it's unfortunately end, tallying up over 100 transactions. Collecting became alot less fun without the NA marketplace. 😭

I saw @LaC post about his upcoming book and I knew I recognized the name, but couldn't place it. After thinking about it for a while, I am pretty sure he was the one I bought the custom posters from that introduced me to the community! I'm also pretty sure selling a box of Atari 2600 stuff to @captmorgandrinker was my last transaction. Good times man, good times.......

I bought something from millerjm2 but I don’t even remember what it was. I wonder what happened to CrimsonCobra I bought it from him too. Aw I miss the Sqooner lol

Yeah, I recall buying back in college a "sealed" copy of Final Fantasy.  I think it was about $75 and it was around 1999/2000.

I got it and even then I could tell it was a reseal.  The seal was wrong and there was shelfware on the box.  I opened it and proved the contents were damaged and the seller took it back.  Even back then people were trying to shill people.

The thing is, now with the way things are, the item was in really great shape other than the shelfware and it was 100% complete.  It would have been worth keeping.  Alas, I was gun-shy after that and didn't get into collecting until 2019, nearly 20 years later.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I bought something from millerjm2 but I don’t even remember what it was. I wonder what happened to CrimsonCobra I bought it from him too. Aw I miss the Sqooner lol

Maybe his mega man 9 or 10 that he did cib(wasn’t actually a game to play though)? He did great custom box art and in the last month of NA he had been working on the boxes for that Deadpool hack of ninja gaiden. I still don’t know if it ever got finished cib

25 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, I recall buying back in college a "sealed" copy of Final Fantasy.  I think it was about $75 and it was around 1999/2000.

I got it and even then I could tell it was a reseal.  The seal was wrong and there was shelfware on the box.  I opened it and proved the contents were damaged and the seller took it back.  Even back then people were trying to shill people.

The thing is, now with the way things are, the item was in really great shape other than the shelfware and it was 100% complete.  It would have been worth keeping.  Alas, I was gun-shy after that and didn't get into collecting until 2019, nearly 20 years later.

I was told back in 2003 by a GameStop employee that I was late to the collecting party lol. I wish I could see that guy now and say how late does it seem now 😂. Wish I started in 98-99 though. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyboy113 said:

Maybe his mega man 9 or 10 that he did cib(wasn’t actually a game to play though)? He did great custom box art and in the last month of NA he had been working on the boxes for that Deadpool hack of ninja gaiden. I still don’t know if it ever got finished cib

It did, I bought one.

IMG_20200502_143726.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Are you sure that's why you got banned?   What was your name on there?

Yes, I was banned from the related topic on Atari Age as well so it appeared I was the only person concerned about it. I was sure someone would agree with me but no.

I don't remember my name but I registered in 2012 or 2013 and registered about 10 times after that but I always somehow got found out and banned again. I'm not sure if moderators were looking for my IP or geo-location or what.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

It did, I bought one.

IMG_20200502_143726.jpg

@Johnnyboy113 I actually have this as well boxed so maybe it was that! I think it was this and something else that I wanted? Maybe Black Box Challenge? Fucking I spent months looking for one and then got one and damn Jeff W did a re-release on Kickstarter. I bought one of those too lol

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes, I was banned from the related topic on Atari Age as well so it appeared I was the only person concerned about it. I was sure someone would agree with me but no.

I don't remember my name but I registered in 2012 or 2013 and registered about 10 times after that but I always somehow got found out and banned again. I'm not sure if moderators were looking for my IP or geo-location or what.

If you registered back then, I was already a mod on NA and can verify you wouldn't have been banned solely for arguing about something.

If you kept trying to get back in, I think I actually remember your old username.   Did it start with a D?

Also, if you had more than one account that would have gotten you banned (and I believe AtariAge has the same policy).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

A lot of times it's pretty easy to tell a banned user simply by posting style. Even if they deliberately try to pretend to be someone else, they still slip into old habits. IPs and whatnot are just to confirm it, but most of the time it's pretty obvious who the person is.

I remember that one dude who would spam the same questions over and over about the AVS and Hi-Def NES got banned, and then he came back. I spotted him immediately with his first post, and he bitched me out over a PM. And then there was that Turkish guy who was obsessed with Sailor Moon and would ask nonsensical questions like "Why all punching in Arch Rivals?" and "I am unban!" He got booted on at least ten or fifteen occasions. Good times. 😛

• Haha 5

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

A lot of times it's pretty easy to tell a banned user simply by posting style. Even if they deliberately try to pretend to be someone else, they still slip into old habits. IPs and whatnot are just to confirm it, but most of the time it's pretty obvious who the person is.

I remember that one dude who would spam the same questions over and over about the AVS and Hi-Def NES got banned, and then he came back. I spotted him immediately with his first post, and he bitched me out over a PM. And then there was that Turkish guy who was obsessed with Sailor Moon and would ask nonsensical questions like "Why all punching in Arch Rivals?" and "I am unban!" He got booted on at least ten or fifteen occasions. Good times. 😛

You got a problem with Sailor Moon, BRO!?!?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I remember that guy!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Johnnyboy113 said:

Nice! I remember he had a website with his boxes , something like this illusion. Can’t remember offhand but I’ll might be on that box somewhere 

Thisroomisanillusion is what I think it was. I still have a box, I'll have to check. Last time I checked, the site was still up. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Thisroomisanillusion is what I think it was. I still have a box, I'll have to check. Last time I checked, the site was still up. 

Ferris shared a link, it's live: https://thisroomisanillusion.com/?v=893f26889d1e

Whether making a purchase will lead to a game coming to your door I can't say, but the site does exist and is still up on the internet, seemingly with the ability to make purchases.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

For some reason I thought he was Macedonian and raged on people about repros or something. Maybe thats another guy.

Its weird that now that The good old days involve internet forum trolls, instead of playing stickball until dark or hitting a hoop with a stick or whatever churldrens used to do

• Haha 1

Moderator · Posted
2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

For some reason I thought he was Macedonian and raged on people about repros or something. Maybe thats another guy.

Its weird that now that The good old days involve internet forum trolls, instead of playing stickball until dark or hitting a hoop with a stick or whatever churldrens used to do

93F2CBF8-9BA3-467A-9FB6-1D9B6E9DAF6B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2