IGNORED

What happened to nintendoage?

19 minutes ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

This post has me thinking how Dain feels about this. Obviously he knew the deal when he sold NA and his collection, but I would guess that he is upset about how things turned out. The site he created was destroyed, video games were touted as the new great investments for comic collectors, and his collection was hyped up and given a "pedigree" so that it could be sold for millions more.

I would be pissed.

I imagine he'd feel something like this.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

Hey good to see you again, been a long time.  You collected a lot of VGA, sold them off and disappeared around 2013 IIRC.  Now VGA has a competitor in Wata, comic book collectors piled in droves and prices have gone insane but have finally started to cool a bit.

As for NA - Go Collect bought it with half assed promised and let it collapse into the ground.

Wow your memory is better than mine!  Yes that is about right.  I also had about 400 minty CIBs and HT BB’s as well which I sold off entirely.  All that is left is my signed MTPO CIB haha.  

2013 is right.  The year my child was born.  Dun dun dunnnn.  He is 6 now.  At this point I am just perusing around.  Wanted to see what was going on.

7 hours ago, Link said:

Are they all trolls? Or just angry members? Top big thread there right now that I see is Phins very upset about the state of the site. As Benihana mentions, I also definitely remember his presence on NA.

I'm talking about the Truxton guy and another guy who are using it as a free for all. They're bumping a bunch of threads with some disgusting posts. Phins hasn't replied in months.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Arkturus said:

I was a long time member (vga collector) for many years.  After a long hiatus I wanted to get back into it and the forum is gone?  What happened?

What's up Arkturus!  Good to see your name around again!  Congrats on raising a young child!  You done, doin good! 

4 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

There is a lot of valuable info buried in those threads. Difficult to find now, but its important that it stays up.

I can perhaps concede that point, though the search is so awful it may as well be gone.  Either way, no point in keeping it open to new posts with the way it has been setup and maintained. 

On 3/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, acidjaguar said:

What's up Arkturus!  Good to see your name around again!  Congrats on raising a young child!  You done, doin good! 

Hey I remember you! Wutsup man.  

I wish I didnt sell off my high grade nes VGAs and even more my CIBs but I had to for the kid.  I want to get back in into collecting just not sure what route I want to take.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:29 PM, mbd39 said:

The GoCollect site is an absolute joke. The new owners put in zero effort. They got their precious data and then gave less than a shit. Fucking corporate bullshit.

VGS has been great though.

Totally agree with every single word here.

6 hours ago, Arkturus said:

Have we any CIB and/or VGA show off collection threads?  My most fun time was drooling over everyone’s setups and titles.  I cant find em anywhere...

Yes but not as active as the old threads used to be.  A lot of people show them off on other social media.

Thinking back about it and reading the threads here before I arrived and on that effectively dead site, in a way I think the best comparison to what happened to NA is the movie/book Old Yeller.  Had a pretty full life, started to show some age, someone came along acting nice and caring to take it out for a fun time, then put a bullet into the back of its head when it was distracted and not looking.

Administrator · Posted
On 3/24/2020 at 11:18 PM, Tanooki said:

Last time someone brought this dumpster fire up I got curious and I did learn one thing, they erased the entire ban list.  My old account still worked.

They probably wiped out the database rule that had all the banned accounts in it.

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

They probably wiped out the database rule that had all the banned accounts in it.

It's more than likely still in tact. I imagine that it's simply not a direct transfer from one software to the other (as these things tend not to be). There's likely still a database table of banned users on their DB, it's just sitting there not being used is all.

These prices on ebay are crazy now, jesus!!  Influx of a small group of rich buyers or just overall a spike in interest in our what was once a niche hobby?  I want my titles back!!  Who has em?! Where is my qualified big box gyro lol.  Lost in space I suppose.  /cry

Im old enough to remember it, but yeah what happened to games starting early in this decade that's ending this year, is just what happened on a micro-local scale to comics and baseball cards in the pre-internet days of the early 90s.  Some enterprising types figured out they could corner the market in their various towns buying up boxes of cards and stacks of comics, turning around and havnig their own shop and splitting everything up and reselling it at a premium.  If you didn't do mail order(comics) or get there when stores got stuff (either) you did without or paid up.  That's when I stopped buying both of those as a kid.  When I'd see a 25 cent pack of baseball cards going for like a dollar a card or more, and comics that were 1-1.25 each on some shelf for $5+ and on a small allowance, I was done, put it towards games alone.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, Tanooki said:

Im old enough to remember it, but yeah what happened to games starting early in this decade that's ending this year, is just what happened on a micro-local scale to comics and baseball cards in the pre-internet days of the early 90s.  Some enterprising types figured out they could corner the market in their various towns buying up boxes of cards and stacks of comics, turning around and havnig their own shop and splitting everything up and reselling it at a premium.  If you didn't do mail order(comics) or get there when stores got stuff (either) you did without or paid up.  That's when I stopped buying both of those as a kid.  When I'd see a 25 cent pack of baseball cards going for like a dollar a card or more, and comics that were 1-1.25 each on some shelf for $5+ and on a small allowance, I was done, put it towards games alone.

What you're talking about here is reselling, which certainly was a huge factor in the increase in game prices over the last ten plus years.

However, I would suggest the more recent boom is more about speculation. These big time collectors are not coming in and sweeping up hundreds and thousands of cheap games like the resellers did, they are hand picking from a tiny subset of games based on very specific criteria (condition, print run, key titles etc.). 

It's basically the opposite strategy: rather than buying cheap, stacking high and churning out sales, these guys are investing a huge amount of capital in a small number of games with the intent of holding on to them until they can realise an even bigger sale.

Whether those big sales will ever materialize remains to be seen... Looking at recent sales, I'd be feeling VERY nervous if I had recently pumped four or five figures into a single video game...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, Arkturus said:

These prices on ebay are crazy now, jesus!!  Influx of a small group of rich buyers or just overall a spike in interest in our what was once a niche hobby?  I want my titles back!!  Who has em?! Where is my qualified big box gyro lol.  Lost in space I suppose.  /cry

I know your pain all too well. Currently on round 3 (after selling before child #2 was born) and only took... maybe a year or two off and HOLY HELL the prices for CIBs are soul crushing. Not too long ago a CIB Godzilla was, what, $25 (and you could take your pick condition wise). Now most of them are BINs into the hundreds. Clown shoes on head world.

I've lived through a lot of great gaming playing/collecting/hobby sites and they have all come to an end at some point. The old site PlayTheNES comes to mind. It was bound to happen to NintendoAge, and may one day may happen to VGS. I like to think it's not the site that matters, and that all of us coming together to share the enjoyment of an awesome hobby that matters in the end. There will always be another site for us as long as we still care about all these old games. I'm glad Dain gave us what he did, and it was an awesome ride. Heck, I even remember a time long, long ago where I was literally one of the only people I knew who collected games, and it was actually awkward to even bring it up when people would ask why I had so many games, lol. I can definitely say for certain this hobby is at it's best when it's shared by so many cool people.

• Like 1