IGNORED

What happened to nintendoage?

I pitched this on NA a long time ago. I’ll throw it out here. Assuming you have a collection tracker with the database, You have a checkbox or whatever and each check in a collection adds to the total tally, recording how rare a game is. This tends to work better with a bigger sample size, so unless a majority of people on here kept track of their collections on here it wouldn’t work. But at least it would be tied to population rather then conjecture 

56 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I pitched this on NA a long time ago. I’ll throw it out here. Assuming you have a collection tracker with the database, You have a checkbox or whatever and each check in a collection adds to the total tally, recording how rare a game is. This tends to work better with a bigger sample size, so unless a majority of people on here kept track of their collections on here it wouldn’t work. But at least it would be tied to population rather then conjecture 

This seems like a decent idea.  I'd be willing to go through and catalog all of my stuff here (or wherever) in order to help improve the accuracy/sample size.  One caveat, though, would be that it would really need to calculate things on-the-fly and people would really need to willing to be on top of updating their collections as they sold/traded things off, as otherwise you could end up with a dozen people all "owning" the same copy of a rare game that keeps getting resold again and again.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

This seems like a decent idea.  I'd be willing to go through and catalog all of my stuff here (or wherever) in order to help improve the accuracy/sample size.  One caveat, though, would be that it would really need to calculate things on-the-fly and people would really need to willing to be on top of updating their collections as they sold/traded things off, as otherwise you could end up with a dozen people all "owning" the same copy of a rare game that keeps getting resold again and again.

Yea but it’s the same problem as catching sales data for a rarity metric. The same copy flying back and forth. Every method has a flaw, but I do think the collection tracker is the closet we can get to a population report 

7 minutes ago, Teh_Lurv said:

How was rarity calculated on the old NA database? I didn't join the forum until it had long-been well established, but was there any concrete figures or just member "feel" about the rarity?

Probably general feel and known sales data. "SMB/DH sold 40,000,000, so it gets a 1, and I see Castlevania pretty often at the swap meet, so that's like a 2 or 3, but I don't think I've seen that other Flintstones game or that Little Hercules game yet, so 8 or 9 for them."

I kind of kid, but I kind of don't, as I've seen a lot of rarity conversations were based just on how often any one person came across a game.

Edited by Tulpa

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Probably general feel and known sales data. "SMB/DH sold 40,000,000, so it gets a 1, and I see Castlevania pretty often at the swap meet, so that's like a 2 or 3, but I don't think I've seen that other Flintstones game or that Little Hercules game yet, so 8 or 9 for them."

I kind of kid, but I kind of don't, as I've seen a lot of rarity conversations were based just on how often any one person came across a game.

This method sounds slightly more accurate than the collection tracker method though. If we went that route, my whole collection would be 10s.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Teh_Lurv said:

How was rarity calculated on the old NA database? I didn't join the forum until it had long-been well established, but was there any concrete figures or just member "feel" about the rarity?

The strongest opinion, basically, lol.  Lots of arguments back and forth about them, and whoever held out the longest got accepted.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately a consensus around rarity and what constitutes a "complete basic set of NES games" for example is actually all still kind of a gray area. Honestly I think rarity could be felt out and be somewhat accurate nowadays; however, what constitutes a complete basic set of NES games, or a complete set of NES games and all variants, etc is going to be very tricky. We do have a TON more information nowadays than we've ever had for before at least. For example I don't consider Stadium Events as part of a basic set of NES games since it was never given a full release, and my standard per each console is the games included needed to receive a full standard release as per related to how each other game would of been released at the time. Magical Chase despite it's price for example would still be mandatory for a basic set of TG16 games since it was fully released, but simply no one bought it. Despite my personal reasonings others may feel differently about what constitutes a "complete set" of something.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

Unfortunately a consensus around rarity and what constitutes a "complete basic set of NES games" for example is actually all still kind of a gray area. Honestly I think rarity could be felt out and be somewhat accurate nowadays; however, what constitutes a complete basic set of NES games, or a complete set of NES games and all variants, etc is going to be very tricky. We do have a TON more information nowadays than we've ever had for before at least. For example I don't consider Stadium Events as part of a basic set of NES games since it was never given a full release, and my standard per each console is the games included needed to receive a full standard release as per related to how each other game would of been released at the time. Magical Chase despite it's price for example would still be mandatory for a basic set of TG16 games since it was fully released, but simply no one bought it. Despite my personal reasonings others may feel differently about what constitutes a "complete set" of something.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting the fact and figures to support your belief/claim that Stadium Events didn't get a "full" release?  Beyond the fact that we all know that Stadium Events got bought out by Nintendo and then re-sold as World Class Track Meet when they also converted the Family Fun Fitness Pad to the Power Pad, there's as much hard, factual evidence that Stadium Events released less than Nintendo's MOQ for games, was recalled, etc., as there is that Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive.  Namely, none.  Believe what you will, but without hard facts, figures, and proof, that sort of idea has no place in any sort of formal/official database.

As a collector, as much as it would benefit me to write off Stadium Events as simply a "variant" or a "non-release," there's simply no actual proof of any such things happening to be able to do so.

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Out of curiosity, where are you getting the fact and figures to support your belief/claim that Stadium Events didn't get a "full" release?  Beyond the fact that we all know that Stadium Events got bought out by Nintendo and then re-sold as World Class Track Meet when they also converted the Family Fun Fitness Pad to the Power Pad, there's as much hard, factual evidence that Stadium Events released less than Nintendo's MOQ for games, was recalled, etc., as there is that Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive.  Namely, none.  Believe what you will, but without hard facts, figures, and proof, that sort of idea has no place in any sort of formal/official database.

As a collector, as much as it would benefit me to write off Stadium Events as simply a "variant" or a "non-release," there's simply no actual proof of any such things happening to be able to do so.

I totally agree with this. Actually, I just started a thread about this very topic yesterday, you should cross post your position there 😉

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/15/2023 at 8:10 AM, darkchylde28 said:

I actually just realized someone responded to this, lol. Sorry for being so late on this.

Knowing what I now know today, I honestly don't see enough evidence that Stadium Events got a full release other than just the same repeated stories about it online. I also find it odd we would just default to "no evidence of the otherwise means it automatically did get a full release... even though there's an unusually extremely limited amount around which would usually be correlated with a limited form of release." (Occum's Razor if you will.) Even more bizarre is that in other regions none of this was an issue! I was always curious about this and I did a lot of digging back then when NA was around and I discovered a lot of "common knowledge" stuff about video games were mostly somewhat inaccurate(looking at you old PC games!) A lot of it was as harmless as a fake cheat code or non-existent secret level myth, etc. (That "impossible jump" in Dennis the Menace on computer comes to mind! It was actually the sewer level the jump was made impossible to make, and it was the demo of the game used to show the game off!) Nowadays though a lot of them have morphed into these almost Greek myth / urban legend style stories.

Over the years I've managed to do some digging at game conventions, and other places online. I also spoke with people who worked at Nintendo and Bandai and what I've been told is Bandai would have likely treated the extra games much like they would of with their toys. (Shipping them off for storage or disposal.) As well as Nintendo wouldn't likely want them selling their version of it after they bought the rights to it. This could of also excluded the MOQ since Nintendo could of made an exception since it was their deal. It doesn't make sense that Nintendo would force them to make 10K copies just so they could compete with them. Nothing here is 100% certain, but I believe the most likely thing is that Bandai disposed of them(or they are still in a storage somewhere! Tim Atwoods find of 3 unopened shipping boxes of 18 sealed copies for example.)

Flintstones was not a Blockbuster exclusive as far as I know as there are Toy R Us game slips and footage showing it was for sale. Now most people probably remember seeing it for rent at Blockbuster and that's most likely how they first encountered it. It's likely the fact it was a late release, and at that time game rental was the way to go for a lot of us. These kinds of memories are what makes people remember and accidentally morph those experiences into the stories we see today.

The real problem down the road was that it's rarity and mythos has made it super valuable and prestigious. There was definitely going to be an old guard preventing anyone from saying anything other than you have to own it(like them) to have a full set. I could see that if it was actually fully released even if it was still super rare and/or expensive(Magical Chase for example), but imagine people who own Cheetah Men II where what actually happened to it was unclear saying you have to own that to have a full set(like they do.) Another example of this is I got to speak with an old PS1 dev and EA employee who traded me a NCAA Elite 11. I wouldn't require anyone else to have to own a game like that. I even got to speak to Tim KIitzrow who said he was supposed to do his usual announcer voice in the game. He said it was originally a NBA Jam game that got renamed a few times until it landed up as NCAA Elite 11 and then cancelled last minute. I actually got him to do some voices for me too, lol.

Also Pat the NES Punk actually did a very solid video many, many years ago about why Stadium Events is so rare. Worth checking out if you'd like to dig further into some of it's history!

Edited by Armageddon Potato
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I always said it was more likely that the minimum quantity of SE was originally manufactured, and Nintendo just bought back the copies that hadn't been sent to retailers when they made the deal to license the pad.  They likely wouldn't have recalled it, as the remaining inventory on store shelves could've taken the place of stand alone copies of WCTM.  We know that every FFF pad had a copy of Athletic World packed in, and every Power Pad had WCTM.  They released Athletic World with Power Pad branding on it, but SE retained the FFF branding.  Consumers with a Power Pad that didn't know better would look at SE and be like "oh, that's for a different thing," minimizing the odds of buying the same game twice.  And since Athletic World retained the same title, nobody with an FFF pad would accidentally buy it again, but might see it and conclude that the two pads were functionally the same.  That would make sense anyway.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 6:29 AM, NostalgicMachine said:

I remember ye old Nintendo Age!

Music Video 90S GIF

Funny because NA is now "nostalgic" for people here. 🤣

But truly... I'm happier now that Gloves has created this video game heaven.

Aside from all the information lost, of course. But I'm just so happy to be here I just want to scream it from the rooftops.

Video Games Nintendo GIF

• Like 1