IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I can handle that. What's a brokerage? Like Fidelity? You're saying not to use Wealthsimple?

I say Wealthsimple cuz my money is already there and they have this "Trade" app which LOOKS like it'd be the thing I need, and I can use my money from my existing accounts without having to transfer etc. etc.. You'd say it'd be worthwhile to move $25k to another app for this?

If you want to trade individual stocks, then the two "real" discount brokerages are Schwab and FIdelity 

Personally, I use Schwab (because that is where my 401k is and I got used to their interface) -- Jonas uses Fidelity.  They both have their merits and both offer free trades (as well as a good selection of own-brand ETFs at very low fees for the bulk of your long-term money)

I don't know much about Wealthsimple -- but I'm assuming it's a newer brokerage looking to capitalize on app-based investing.

I guess I'm from another era -- because I couldn't imagine putting 5-figures with some startup-brokerage instead of one of the major discount brokerages (specifically mention "discount" because the guys like Merrill will devour you in fees over the long term).

So on that side of it -- yes, I would definitely get a $25k+ portfolio away from an app on my phone and into a real brokerage (which also offer apps if phone-trading is your thing -- I just haven't messed with that, since I prefer to do it from a PC).

... before I get my hopes up.

Its not easy, normal, or stable to turn $250 into $350 in a single hour right? I feel like a dumbass for not even using this app after I made an account years ago if that isn’t the case.

Someone give me a little guidance before I turn into a Reddit idiot. I’m literally scared to actually get into this world of investing because of the power of memes.

If I had an idea of what’s right then I’d put $1000 each in Amazon, Alphabet, Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook, and play around a couple hundred a piece in Tesla, Best Buy, AMC, Walmart, Target, Six Flags, and travel & lodging companies...I would have said pharmaceutical a month or two ago as well.

10 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Its not easy, normal, or stable to turn $250 into $350 in a single hour right? I feel like a dumbass for not even using this app after I made an account years ago if that isn’t the case.

Someone give me a little guidance before I turn into a Reddit idiot. I’m literally scared to actually get into this world of investing because of the power of memes.

If I had an idea of what’s right then I’d put $1000 each in Amazon, Alphabet, Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook, and play around a couple hundred a piece in Tesla, Best Buy, AMC, Walmart, Target, Six Flags, and travel & lodging companies...I would have said pharmaceutical a month or two ago as well.

Then you want a growth mutual fund.  Many of those have FB, AMZN, GOOG, MFST, APPL, etc.  That's the set it and forget it stable approach, though if the market corrects (crashes), obviously even the best stocks go down.  

8 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

There is absolutely nothing normal or sustainable about what any of these few stocks have done in the last couple of days.  Even over the course of a YEAR these would be stupendous gains.

For perspective a GOOD year in the general market is a 15% return -- and a long-term average is closer to 10% or less (nominal).  And over a whole portfolio, you'd expect lower (bonds / cash / etc dragging down the raw stock returns)

So seeing 100% PER DAY, multiple days in a row is... unusual, to say the least.

There is genuine "mania" here -- and there will be people that lose their shirts from the greed.

So for those that want to gamble/speculate on the mania -- just keep your commitments reasonable, and be willing to take a profit -- and keep the bulk of your portfolio growing with the general market in funds that do most of the rebalancing for your.

Edited by arch_8ngel

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Speaking of, I just opened the Ameritrade app on my phone to check my status. This popped up. I guess it's because I have 5 shares.

578256416_Screenshot_20210127-1252532.png.339c03ab6718d6b16157270f8d727dbe.png

Every broken has been eliminating margin on the meme stocks -- and with pretty good reason.

Kind of an odd generic message, though.

Edited by arch_8ngel

Personally I don't believe in the meme stocks like BB and EXPR, but I do believe in the "meme" stocks with a turnaround story I can get behind.  One is a pure speculative play and one has some people that legitimately want to own and appreciate the intrinsic value.  That is why I chose to play AMC and not the others personally.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Robinhood account with a trivial amount of money I use for playing.   Struggled for awhile this morning getting AMC but finally got a couple shares.  Picked up some BB and NOK too but those went right through.  It’s all just for shits and giggles over here but it’s all very interesting and now I feel more invested.

• Like 1

I've never been big on investing (have some long-term stuff I don't touch). Always thought of it as a second job since I don't have a lot of interest but I do get a kick out of events like this. Definitely fun to throw a little in the pot just to see what happens and it's not as intimidating as crypto currency. 

Moderator · Posted
10 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Personally I don't believe in the meme stocks like BB and EXPR, but I do believe in the "meme" stocks with a turnaround story I can get behind.  One is a pure speculative play and one has some people that legitimately want to own and appreciate the intrinsic value.  That is why I chose to play AMC and not the others personally.

BB has some long term potential IMO, not the same as AMC or GME. I’m staying away from EXPR. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

I bailed on GME at $300 and $375 this morning.  Buying in at $92, so I am happy about that.  I did take some of your suggestions and bought some AMC ( at $14 and $16).  Wish I did it yesterday instead, but better than never though. 

I have to hand to you all.  I really brushed off the suggestions about GME months ago and never looked at it again until it hit ~$40 and came on my radar.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

When was that?  GME opened at over $300 today, so no way would $165 get filled.  (even in extended trading it was generally well above $200)

$265*

Did anyone catch that beautiful dip on AMC? I was working and couldn't make a decision fast enough.

Edited by Californication

10 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I bailed on GME at $300 and $375 this morning.  Buying in at $92, so I am happy about that.  I did take some of your suggestions and bought some AMC ( at $14 and $16).  Wish I did it yesterday instead, but better than never though. 

I have to hand to you all.  I really brushed off the suggestions about GME months ago and never looked at it again until it hit ~$40 and came on my radar.

All who?  I was the only GME pumper in here, lol.  Everyone else rained on the parade.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, doner24 said:

BB has some long term potential IMO, not the same as AMC or GME. I’m staying away from EXPR. 

THIS 100%!  This is all just a game at the end of the day I could see lawsuits fired around on this whole debacle.  Ain’t no way anyone can believe in GME or AMC as a long term hold, zero chance.  I bought and sold AMC over 2 years ago and made money before COVID, but if anything with video games going digital and everyone owning a big flat screen as they get cheaper and all the new streaming services, GME and AMC have no hope long-term.  Get in quick make some money on this joke by all means, but just don’t be the dumbass holding the bag when this all crashes to hell.  

Edited by Braveheart69
  • Like 1