IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

Welp, it looks like I'll be working until I die.

In other news, I'm making steady money on SoFi puts and calls. It's probably one of the only fintechs that isn't overvalued. I know I've been harping on it for a while and it's tanked, but I still have a lot of faith in Square/Block going crazy over the next 5-10 years.  Everything else is in the dumpster and I'm just holding my index funds and good stocks (Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, etc).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/19/2022 at 11:29 PM, Daniel_Doyce said:

It's been real quiet here.

Insurtechs have been eating a big dick over the last year, mainly because people are realizing their business models, for the most part, don't make any sense. ROOT is in the $3 territory, Lemonade has cratered, and MILE is even worse. I was thinking about shorting ROOT for a while but waited too long.

Root laid off 20% of its employees after I wrote this on Wednesday, and the stock went down another 17% on Friday. I wouldn't recommend buying it since nothing has changed about its fundamentals. Their 4Q combined ratio will be interesting to see.

42 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Root laid off 20% of its employees after I wrote this on Wednesday, and the stock went down another 17% on Friday. I wouldn't recommend buying it since nothing has changed about its fundamentals. Their 4Q combined ratio will be interesting to see.

I just looked into them. I'm disappointed that Root doesn't sell French fries, hashbrowns, and other potato products. No wonder they are struggling!

My EV play(NVVE) took a 60% haircut from a month ago on no news. I've been buying the whole way down and am north of 150 shares now and brought my avg below $10. The floor could be a buck and I'd still be buying. I am sold on the story of V2G and the long term future of it and they have partnerships with most every commercial EV startup. 

I still like PFGC also. It's not like restaurants have gotten slower like is been reported. They aren't going anywhere, and I expect spring to bring another booming season as outdoor dining opens up. I love it in the $40 range right now, though it wouldn't surprise me if it fell to the mid 30s. PFGC is still expanding and buying up local distributors and remains a true rival to Sysco.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m starting to think I should invest in oil—everything I invest in collapses.

But seriously, what have you all been into lately.  This thread use to be active.

I actually dumped my COIN stocks a while ago and picked them up again when it was near the bottom. I’ve pretty much kept everything else the same.

And love him or hate him, what do you guys think about the Musk/Twitter deal.  No politics, just straight-up, you think he’ll go through with it and would you buy Twitter now with the hope that you can cash out and get a fair pay day?

1 hour ago, RH said:

I’m starting to think I should invest in oil—everything I invest in collapses.

But seriously, what have you all been into lately.  This thread use to be active.

I actually dumped my COIN stocks a while ago and picked them up again when it was near the bottom. I’ve pretty much kept everything else the same.

And love him or hate him, what do you guys think about the Musk/Twitter deal.  No politics, just straight-up, you think he’ll go through with it and would you buy Twitter now with the hope that you can cash out and get a fair pay day?

I don't mess around with that kind of risk. Stocks associated with Musk fluctuate not so much as a result of the business but because of him. Could you make money, sure, but good luck timing it.

Just now, Aguy said:

I don't mess around with that kind of risk. Stocks associated with Musk fluctuate not so much as a result of the business but because of him. Could you make money, sure, but good luck timing it.

Yeah, that’s where I landed.  The stock is quite low compared to it’s assumed sale price, and that’s tempting but Musk makes so many “investments” volatile. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Anybody still holding the bag? I've been filling up on PayPal since I like the company and it's back to pre pandemic lows. I'm really hoping Ford gets pushed lower bc I think if they can get their shit together they're going to be the #1 car company in America in a couple years. 

I sold out all my holdings at the end of January except for my retirement fund, but that’s long term investments so they’ll just stay put and ride the wave.

I agree with Ford, I have no doubt they will easily overtake Tesla as the number one electric vehicle brand in the US over the next few years.

I think the market still has a bit to drop, especially with the inflation figures and earnings starting to come out that I think will be a bit dire for some and not bad for others. I’m going to reassess towards the end of the year.

Administrator · Posted

I use a robo investor and continue to do so. This is the second time since I started using it that it's dipped into the negatives, but I continue putting into it regularly with the mindset that I'm buying the lows. I'm only down 3% so it's really not bad. 

• Like 1

I managed to reduce my personal investment account by half and convert to cash, but I'm still riding out the rest and my retirement accounts. I'm not concerned with chasing more stocks for now as I also think we still have a ways to go. 2022 is more of a wealth preservation year to postion yourself well after the recession rather than trying to chase speculative investments. Good times will again comes but the near term outlook will be choppy at best.

Edited by jonebone
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
On 7/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, Gloves said:

I use a robo investor and continue to do so. This is the second time since I started using it that it's dipped into the negatives, but I continue putting into it regularly with the mindset that I'm buying the lows. I'm only down 3% so it's really not bad. 

Update: I'm in the positive again!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I finally closed a few big positions last week. I feel the housing market is turning so I got out of my mortgage insurance stock at a pretty big profit. Also finally dumped AIG. I'm going to keep it all in cash to make some hopefully strategic decisions when the recession finally comes.

I'm going down with the ship on GE. Down a solid 6 figure amount and hoping I can eventually break even if Culp's turnaround eventually bears fruit.

ROOT's slow demise is interesting to watch. LMND is doing the same, but more slowly. Despite all the handwaving and flashy apps, Insurtechs aren't immune from negative combined ratios, as the market seems to finally realize.

I started rebuying stocks outside of my retirement fund over the last two months. I think there are a few bargains starting to show up now.

Lithium is still the name of the game for me though. I think it will have a strong finish for the year and a good year next year as demand for EV's continues to increase and demand is still constrained for Lithium until at least the end of 2024/early 2025.

Pilbara (PLS) & Liontown (LTR) are still my main holdings. With LTR approximately 90-100% undervalued right now imo. Once these guys start mining at the end of 23/early '24 the price should start to shoot up as the trucks of money start rolling in. Liontown will be my main investing focus for 2023.

• Thanks 1