IGNORED

The Switch Thread

That one isn't a game I can see buying, ever.  Even as light as the tease was you could see it's a return to the very very boring, repetitive and 25 years on played out classic form of the boring wash rinse and repeat gym battle round about.  Short of being guilted into it to play with my kid, it's not happening.  Arceus did so much new and right in changing that tired setup (as did Ultra Sun/Moon) I can appreciate and enjoy those thoroughly, but this...?

Finished?  They've always been finished.  They've just not been finished enough for lifelong fans who forget it's a childs game and not catering to them as their key demographic.  They've been finished, because they largely follow the same boring as hell overly played and stretched out format largely where you have a thin story, eight gyms, eight badges, and the final fight(s) around also picking off a legendary or so.  If anything they're consistent to a toxic stupid level where they're so damn afraid to leave their safe space most releases because it works.  They can always every few years pander to a new set of pre-teen kids, and if the older ones stick around, great, if not... they're replaced by the millions so who cares.

That's why Sun/Moon were just epic, they did something new that made the game wonderful once more.  Islands, no asinine wash rinse repeat of the gym-trainer-badges by 8s crap. They not only crafted a story, but one that isn't thin, and has many layers of substories that actually make you want to keep playing to see what it's all about.  They put a lot of work, depth and original thinking... then release the Switch turd and regress back to the DS era with that mess.  Arceus Legends was well a legend in doing what it did.  Wide open areas, dumped the badges, let you explore fresh areas, create a pokedex vs filling it, crafting of useful tools and remedies, and a very solid story that spreads and grows as you dig deeper into it.  And now... Scarlet/Violet again looks to be regressing back to their safe space again to pander yet another re-run, though at least taking some of what Arceus had with the open living spaces between towns at least, but how much more?  For now, I couldn't be paid to play it, but give it a year...maybe?  I doubt it, but maybe, as I"m sure my kid will get sucked in as she's 10 (11 by then) and prime market for it as she's not burned out on the same format since the 1990s.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's why Sun/Moon were just epic, they did something new that made the game wonderful once more.  Islands, no asinine wash rinse repeat of the gym-trainer-badges by 8s crap. They not only crafted a story, but one that isn't thin, and has many layers of substories that actually make you want to keep playing to see what it's all about.  They put a lot of work, depth and original thinking... then release the Switch turd and regress back to the DS era with that mess. 

I liked sun and moon but there were large swaths of the areas that were left blank. Like, where there should've been building, or structures and they just weren't there. It was clearly rushed and unfortunately ultra didn't fill any of those spaces in, although the end game content was way better. 

SwSh were just unfinished. The map was thrown together and backward engineered to make the wild area relevant. It felt like they had a map in mind and even a gimmick with the arenas that could've been some sort of interesting mechanic like we saw in SnM and then completely rushed development and said fuck it, make it a DS game. Even XnY had a more interesting layout. At least it required some back tracking and post game legendary chasing. Even the dlc for SwSh couldn't save the game from itself. More linear fetch quests with no real substance.