IGNORED

The Switch Thread

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

So are any of you digging into Pokemon Legends Arceus?  I've been picking away at it a bit every few days for an hour here two there so not super far.  I'm close to a 3rd star on that thing, finding a few helper side quests confusing to figure out, others are pretty straight forward.  I did the whole thing of dealing with the 2 special regional pokemon so far, the 2nd where you have to calm it.  I need to return to town to speak with the commander of the group to move along.

I really thing this is one beautiful game both in the story/depth of it, and visuals.  The gameplay changes are big and small, very welcome, and very fun to deal with too.  The light touch of crafting is nice, not heavy handed with breakables like AC does annoyingly, just nice little things to create useful tools.  It's nice being able to observe, catch, or battle to win/catch stuff and not having to be endlessly boringly trolled to death by asinine trainer battles, wash rinse kill me now repeat gym battles too.  This is something the franchise has needed for a long time now, much like how breath of the wild really revitalized the fun of the zelda franchise taking it out of repetition hell too.

TLDR: Some things that are really good that they should keep in games going forward (side quests, custom movesets from move pool) and some typical bullcrap padding from Pokemon and overworld pokemon that lack “life”.

Im a little farther then you. On the 5th star. Some good and even great things but some things I find to be pretty underwhelming. I can’t believe im saying this, because I never thought I would feel this way, but I think I miss random encounters. It’s getting really boring to me being able to see them from a mile away. There’s no surprise factor when they’re visible. Which I used to think I would prefer but Im becoming more and more bored with that.

Unfortunately, this game suffers from the same issue I had with Sw/Sh wild area. Which is the pokemon don’t actually do anything in the overworld. They literally just meander back and forth. They at least react to your presence in various ways but if tour not there they just pace around. They should be DOING something. I should be able to watch a Bidoof knawing on a tree and dragging it over to water to build a dam. Not just watch it wander the beach.

The thing that drives me the most crazy is completing Pokedex entries. Conceptually, the tasks are fine. Catch the pokemon, observe it use specific moves, catch it in certain ways, evolve it. All good and I like the idea. But doing the same thing 20-40times? No, that sucks and its boring. I absolutely HATE having to catch the same pokemon 25times over to finish that task. I can accept having to catch a couple to evolve for a task, and maybe a couple for the different methods of capture. But that should total like 5-6max. Same thing with defeating a pokemon or observing moves. Its all straight padding to make it seem like theres more to do then there really is. 

I realize you don’t technically have to actually do that many of each task. But then why have them like that? Its padding

Now Im not negative on everything. I think the game looks good. I don’t tend to notice frame issues or “low quality” asset’s or whatever people on the internet complain about. I play N64 and enjoy it so this game might as well be 120fps at 8k compared to what Im used to. 

The side quests are a big plus. So far they’re pretty short and varied. 

I really like how the handle learned moves in this game. They retain the 4 move limit but allow you to create custom movesets from the pool of known moves whenever you want? Yes please. 

And finally so far story is interesting enough. Though I don’t expect much in the story dept from pokemon, so it isn’t hard to be impressed there.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

Good input

I for one detest the random encounters, was so hyped when I found them to be gone... gone finally in this, gone a few games back with Dragon Quest, etc.  They're just grating, especially when the random generator is a bit starved for attention happy.  There are though plenty of surprises I've found, not all is random.  I've had stuff just pop out at me while wandering, once was a graveler like 20 levels over me -- ran like hell from that thing.  Speaking of finds, seems Eevee is kind of rare in this game? Or a least early on or maybe only a certain time of day?  I just found a 2nd one where I found the first originally... the first I somehow turned into an espeon, but the other I had randomly found a fire stone so now I have a flareon too! 😄

I do agree the pokedex is a bit overkill in some ways.  I really don't want to do 10-20+ battles on each one, and independent of that Go style captures as well that many too.  I've got one of those fill it outs on the cricketot thing, and that's too boring to bother.  I totally agree 5-6 hell even 10 depending how many requests there are for the pokedex would be fine, but now having to grab like 50 or something more is just looney tunes.

The story to me seems varied and with a primary and secondary layer to it too which is great, like 90s style RPG great, nothing overly bloat loaded like a modern RPG would have that's just too much.  Ultra Sun/Moon did the couple layers of depth story for the first time and it really sucked me in, same with it nuking the shitty overkill gym grind too which has put me off the games largely.  Visually detail wise it's a step over SnS so that's good, yes it's more sparse more often than not, but this is like a 1000 years or whatever in the past, can't expect a world of millions.  They largely put the better detail, animations, reactions into all the pokemon instead of using old 3DS cloned and copied minimalist stuff.

6 hours ago, Aguy said:

@LeatherRebel5150I understand about being able to see Pokemon but there are so many mainline entries with random battles that are still enjoyable, I can appreciate it both ways. Are you guys talking about 25+ of the same task just to baseline complete the entry or max complete it?

I haven’t encountered any entries that need that many to baseline complete it but many go up to ridiculous amounts. For example my Decidueye has a task for watching it do an Agile move up to 40 times. Granted it goes in steps so something like 2,6,10,25,40 up the ladder. Had they stopped at 10 I’d still consider it a little much but acceptable. But I think they made it excessive to give the illusion of more content.

I so far only have had the 3 original missing packages in the game, and I had no issue just clicking them to return.  After that stuff shows up in that menu where you have some reward to tap on and you get something for doing the hunt.  Basically if you go where it says it is on the map, it's a very very small package and it I found blends in almost too well depending on the terrain.  But either way it should be there, if not, I'd be worried.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I so far only have had the 3 original missing packages in the game, and I had no issue just clicking them to return.  After that stuff shows up in that menu where you have some reward to tap on and you get something for doing the hunt.  Basically if you go where it says it is on the map, it's a very very small package and it I found blends in almost too well depending on the terrain.  But either way it should be there, if not, I'd be worried.

We’ll maybe Im confusing what to do then. I have the packages in my inventory I guess. Theres a bunch listed. So I thought my goal was to go to the location on the map to return them. But when I do, nothing is there and I don’t get the little ! signaling to send it back to whoever. Im very confused on this mechanic

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

We’ll maybe Im confusing what to do then. I have the packages in my inventory I guess. Theres a bunch listed. So I thought my goal was to go to the location on the map to return them. But when I do, nothing is there and I don’t get the little ! signaling to send it back to whoever. Im very confused on this mechanic

I got another package earlier that was found in the wild that popped up on the original area map.  I think they're auto transported back to the owner because when you go into the menu (items, saving, etc) one tab is for lost goods/internet gimmes and it was lit up, and when I clicked the name of the person I returned stuff to, I was given a reward.

I also finally got KOd in the wild too, dropped 4 items, now they taunt me on the same screen but I don't see a way to clear that or return them to me which stinks.

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Target also has (had?) the same sale with a ton of good games including first party stuff. I already have most Switch first party games, but I grabbed Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (PS5), Spiderman Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (PS5), and Ratchet and Clank (PS5) for $100 shipped. Pokemon Arceus and some other good stuff is included in the list, so act fast.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Warning - amazon is SHIT.

You might add three games, then go to checkout, only to find that even though all your games said "Get 3 for the price of 2" one does not count for some unknown reason although you DID add it from the list of 3 for 2. Yes, this has happened to me basically every single time I've seen this promotion. Hence, amazon is shit, and they know it, and they don't care. Caveat emptor.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm interested in the new Mario Kart tracks, but I would love to see a list of which tracks they are taking from SMK.  

Yeah, I was slightly sad it was extra money because there was so much good stuff in this direct, it's going to be tough to prioritize.  Then at the last minute they throw out that bone that it's free with a Switch Online membership.  Score!  I'm good to go.

Nintendo Direct was a wow moment, some of the pop ups out of that blew me away they got it working on there, such as No Man's Sky, it's not a tiny game, but I have that on PC so ...no. 😉

Well for me a decent show as it more often than not is, not a let down.
I was going to list things, but...getting long.
Personally shocked and surprised to see what Square-Enix offered up with LiveALive, Front Mission, and Chrono Cross on real media, laughably middle finger to them for cloud steaming rental only for KH series. I never played any of those 3, no interest in FM(genre) but the other two oh yeah very interested.

Surprising to see the quality there on No Mans Sky(have it on PC), but also other hot franchises like Starwars and AC collection. Cool to see Taiko making a US appearance on Nintendo as well.

Splatoon 3 looks nice, but any single player? I avoid MP only, leaning heavy games. What I saw looked like one could play a full single player game alone with ai team/bots whatever you want to call it. Nice to see STrikers back too, it's expensive on gamecube so the demand is definitely there. Cute to see Wii sports back as Nintendo Switch Sports, can't say I'd pay much for that, but nice.

Kirby and Klonoa wow. The Dread update is nice for those who need help to those really good at it, replaying it. Very nice drop of both Earthbound games(bet they never do #3) Getsufuumaden looks sweet, that's a possibility. I'm sure the Xenoblade fans are happy for #3.

TBH, only Kirby and Strikers have caught my interest.

Because when it comes to RPGs I am hoping Square Enix will announce Dragon Quest X Offline (the Japan release has two versions up for preorder; I don't plan to get either one). And maybe news from Atlus about a few more Persona remakes. 😅

Plus, Earthbound not getting a trilogy release was a letdown for me. But I am hoping their announcement for the first two will at least lead to the Japanese market getting one later this year.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, I was slightly sad it was extra money because there was so much good stuff in this direct, it's going to be tough to prioritize.  Then at the last minute they throw out that bone that it's free with a Switch Online membership.  Score!  I'm good to go.

I think it's only free with the larger membership, which I haven't upgraded to yet, but I plan to.  The only reason I was waiting was because I wasn't able to grab a N64 Switch controller the first time around.  They said the restock would happen sometime in 22, but I haven't heard anything yet this year.

Editorials Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

TBH, only Kirby and Strikers have caught my interest.

Because when it comes to RPGs I am hoping Square Enix will announce Dragon Quest X Offline (the Japan release has two versions up for preorder; I don't plan to get either one). And maybe news from Atlus about a few more Persona remakes. 😅

Plus, Earthbound not getting a trilogy release was a letdown for me. But I am hoping their announcement for the first two will at least lead to the Japanese market getting one later this year.

You're a big JRPG guy.  Seems like Live-a-Live and Xenoblade would be right in your wheelhouse.

• Like 1