IGNORED

The Switch Thread

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I tuned out after the Wii.  I'm not sure I even knew the Wii U existed for awhile there.

My wife is a Nintendo fangirl and didn't realize the Wii U existed until randomly seeing one at Gamestop.  Nintendo did a poor job informing the consumer about the console.

Thankfully we didn't have the same problem with the Switch.  It was hard to not know about the current console.

6 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

My wife is a Nintendo fangirl and didn't realize the Wii U existed until randomly seeing one at Gamestop.  Nintendo did a poor job informing the consumer about the console.

Thankfully we didn't have the same problem with the Switch.  It was hard to not know about the current console.

Literally the same. I was in a gamestop one day and saw one, and asked what it did over the wii and found out it was a different system entirely. I never saw a single advertisement on tv or anywhere (granted I dont watch much), and the name of it was awful just seemed upgraded Wii.

• Like 1

Would I be crazy to suggest that Nintendo half hearted the WiiU on purpose?  That is, they wanted the signature tablet to be as small and portable as the Switch one turned out to be but at the time of the WiiU's release getting the tablet that small would've been too expensive and thus "bought some time" until it could be?  You guys get what I mean by that?  I mean that could also explain why they re-released so much WiiU stuff onto the Switch...the Switch is what they wanted the WiiU to be all along but the tech just wasn't quite ready that far back.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Yes, you would be.  No executive is gonna willingly destroy their company's future and stock price so that they can lose their job.

And they rereleased it all because they had fully-developed AAA games that they can now sell to 10x as many people.

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Would I be crazy to suggest that Nintendo half hearted the WiiU on purpose?

Yes. Please let this idea go. Nintendo was just really bad at marketing in that era. They called the updated 3DS the "new" 3DS. That was confusing too. Then they didn't even ship many "new" 3DS's to America. At least with the "new" 3DS, people eventually chose to upgrade for the XL models. 

Nintendo also had other missteps... even with the popularity of the 3DS platform, they screwed up a lot of their big franchises during that time. Metroid Prime Federation Force, Hey Pikmin, Zelda Tri Force Heroes, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Party 9 & 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Star Fox Zero, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, a string of lackluster Mario & Luigi titles, the hilarious over printing of Animal Crossing amiibo that all went unsold forever... this was just a bad, bad period for Nintendo where a lot of their big franchises had their "worst of the series" entries. Bad decision making all around. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Nintendo also had other missteps... even with the popularity of the 3DS platform, they screwed up a lot of their big franchises during that time.

I wouldn't say screwed up as much as I'd say experimented with the franchises. I think Federation Force is a good game and I never understood the hate. Metroid also got the Return of Samus which is a masterpiece of a remake. 

Mario got 3D Lorld which is arguably the big brother of 3D World having better better level design. I also thought the remakes of the Mario & Luigi games were well made especially with the bonus content. 

A Link Between World's was a great homage to A Link to the Past. Kirby saw it's possibly best release of the series in Planet Robot. Star fox 64 3D was a great update to a game that otherwise aged poorly.

I could go on but mainly the Wii U just shit the bed as a console. That fucking controller is a disaster and marketing it as an entertainment center was a joke. They spent millions on a Superbowl ad for TVii not to mention the unknown hours of R&D that went into that stupid shit. People see the console now and see the goofy controller and hear the tale of bad advertising but they have no idea. Being on board w the Wii U from it's initial announcement was like watching a train crash in slow motion. 

The re release of all of content shows that it had the wings but just didn't learn how to fly. Honestly it sucks bc it could have been a success if Nintendo did literally released a terd instead of a home console.

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I wouldn't say screwed up as much as I'd say experimented with the franchises. I think Federation Force is a good game and I never understood the hate. Metroid also got the Return of Samus which is a masterpiece of a remake. 

Mario got 3D Lorld which is arguably the big brother of 3D World having better better level design. I also thought the remakes of the Mario & Luigi games were well made especially with the bonus content. 

A Link Between World's was a great homage to A Link to the Past. Kirby saw it's possibly best release of the series in Planet Robot. Star fox 64 3D was a great update to a game that otherwise aged poorly.

I could go on but mainly the Wii U just shit the bed as a console. That fucking controller is a disaster and marketing it as an entertainment center was a joke. They spent millions on a Superbowl ad for TVii not to mention the unknown hours of R&D that went into that stupid shit. People see the console now and see the goofy controller and hear the tale of bad advertising but they have no idea. Being on board w the Wii U from it's initial announcement was like watching a train crash in slow motion. 

The re release of all of content shows that it had the wings but just didn't learn how to fly. Honestly it sucks bc it could have been a success if Nintendo did literally released a terd instead of a home console.

They had some great games but it was slow going.  It felt like the Wii U got games over a year and a half then done.  It was a tough sell at it's price point too.  If I remember correctly it was $300 when you could get a PS4 on sale for not much more.  This wasn't Nintendo purposely squandering years of goodwill with a beta console.  Just a series of misteps that cost them a generation of sales.  Thankfully the stuff we did get was good and the 3DS had great output too.

Edited by zeppelin03

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yes, you would be.  No executive is gonna willingly destroy their company's future and stock price so that they can lose their job.

And they rereleased it all because they had fully-developed AAA games that they can now sell to 10x as many people.

No no no no no, that's not the idea at all.  The idea they take a short term eh, not exactly meeting expectations to make an even grander more ideal version of that same system later.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Aguy said:

If she's set on a color and isn't one to change her mind, you could just buy the Switch the next time you come across it and save it until the time comes. Less stress for all involved. Wario64 on Twitter usually posts when systems come in stock at Amazon and Best Buy.

Yeah I had considered that, but like I said she had those issues.  She also popped off when she realized the other day that the $200 she was saving wasn't for the one that plugs into the TV.  I haven't brought it up again with her.  Personally if I could get her cemented on the lite, which given her habit, it needs to be this anyway, I'd try my best to coax a color out of her she'd like and probably buy and shelve it until the time comes.  The problem is, I'd still be concerned because she doesn't get the whole concept of scalper human garbage, and she would love nothing more than slap down some dollar bills and do it herself at the counter like a big girl.  If I was like, look what I hid until you had the cash, she'd have a melt down of epic proportions.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, avatar! said:

Seriously, these scalpers that use bots to purchase everything are shite. 

I hope they all burn. I'm trying to purchase a Switch as a present and it's impossible to find. I will never pay a scalper fee for something like this. Eventually, maybe months from now, but eventually it will be back in stock. In the meantime, please keep us informed on your progress in making scalpers miserable - the more the merrier in this case!

Yeah basically I feel that.  Read my comment above and my original you replied to, she's touchy and easy to set off with OCD stuff around the rest.  I basically need her to have the money in hand and be the buyer, so I can't even mitigate these twat waffles taking my time to find one and hide it myself.  I both can't wait, and dread buying one because those bastards as she'll lose it if it can't be found, or if I end up having to buy and hold one too.  There's no win because those wankers.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:02 PM, B.A. said:

Granted Nintendo did a miserable marketing job differentiating, but really? An adult who actually plays video games and spends time on a video game forum didn't know it was a separate system?

Oh I've known some, hell back when it was for sale there were rampant stories online of teenage/early 20s gamers working at best buy, elsewhere, that were stupid as dirt thinking the WiiU was an upgrade accessory for the original.  I one time was next to one of those dull witted types, got annoyed at being around that level of stupidity as they should as employees know better, and embarrassed the fool to the customer explaining what it was and they were shocked, customer a mix of annoyed and happy given what happened and what it was.  There's just no accounting for common sense.

Has anyone else noticed Disaster Report 4 is getting hard to find? I went to pick it up the other day and there was only one place I could find it and they only had 2 left in stock. 
I got it for retail but places like Amazon were selling it for well over retail price. This game hasn’t been out long, so not sure what is going on.

38 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Has anyone else noticed Disaster Report 4 is getting hard to find? I went to pick it up the other day and there was only one place I could find it and they only had 2 left in stock. 
I got it for retail but places like Amazon were selling it for well over retail price. This game hasn’t been out long, so not sure what is going on.

Same for PS4 version. Don’t think it had a large print run. The switch is one your going to have to watch. With min print runs of 5,000 copies and the boom in digital acceptance I expect certain niche games to become hard to find. Look at Samurai Shodown for the switch which is semi popular. That went out of print quick 

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

It’s all sold out in my area. Can you um... snag that other copy for me?

8 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

Same for PS4 version. Don’t think it had a large print run. The switch is one your going to have to watch. With min print runs of 5,000 copies and the boom in digital acceptance I expect certain niche games to become hard to find. Look at Samurai Shodown for the switch which is semi popular. That went out of print quick 

Yeah I think you’re right. I found it strange because it only came out in April for the switch. Maybe it sold really badly and they didn’t bother with a second print run and will just keep it digital.

• Like 1

Just a heads up if you're a horror fan that Friday the 13th & Remothered: Tormented Fathers are available on Amazon for a pretty good price. Haven't played either but I've heard they're meant to be decent games.

Also noticing Void Trrlm();//Void Terrarium is getting harder to find online (not sure about in store because I'm not in the US). I was hoping it would drop below retail, but I'm not sure if it will, so I grabbed a copy.

44 minutes ago, Aguy said:

If anyone still wanted to import a copy of Korg Gadget, Nin Nin still has copies for $53 (+$7 shipping to US), $10 cheaper than eBay.

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/video-games/37442-korg-gadget-for-nintendo-switch-multi-language-switch-.html

Went to check out that site for funsies just to see what they have and saw that there's a sequel coming for Atelier Ryza. Soooo looking forward to people going nuts for it. 🙄 People are probably going to buy it up assuming it will be a one-run-and-done printing like the first.