IGNORED

The Switch Thread

48 minutes ago, Skorp said:

You know, that's what I always thought about too. The first time this came to mind was with Death Squared (now there is a physical), but that time it was only a case with a digital code. It ended up going for hundreds of dollars though being limited and all and people considered it part of the collection. I kinda feel like if there isn't a cart included, it shouldn't count and just be some extra or separately from it.

No, they wouldn't count. That's like saying an eshop card counts towards a set. Just because it has a box doesn't change the fact its just a digital game

This is like how on GBA a loose full set would differ from a boxed full set because there were some releases that were two games on two separate carts repackaged into a single boxed release (I'm having trouble finding an example right now but I recall there were some boxes that had two slots for two carts). 

If you were to say "Switch loose full set" it would not include these download codes, but boxed? These are legit Switch releases with a SKU and all. And then there are some games that the cart doesn't have the full game on it and you have to download additional content for the cart to even be playable so it kinda throws a monkey wrench into the concept of a full set too. 

47 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

At some point, the codes within the boxes probably won't even work (Nintendo Online Store changes, planned obsolescence, etc), so owning a "sealed copy" won't even be the same thing as owning a playable copy.

At that point, do we change the definition of full set to mean all officially released boxes with associated art? Or do we make a new category called a full playable set? Full playable physical set? Full cart set?

The rules for this aren't so logical. People make this up as they go along. It's like with NES some people say "Full Set -SE" but the only reason they have that category is because it's so hard to get Stadium Events! 

I mean here's another way to think about it. Animal Crossing New Leaf on 3DS. There's a Nintendo Selects re-release and then a second Selects re-re-release with the Welcome Amiibo update on the cart. The first print and second print don't have this update. The carts are different! Do you need the Welcome Amiibo version to have a full set?

acnl.jpg.b7a8b499d60b5869daee1f05fec7749b.jpg welcome_amiibo.jpg.7f10250a578787bb3a934bc141820f95.jpg

(notice these have different codes! EGDE vs EAAE!)

Most people don't factor greatest hits anything into a full set, but then there's Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for PS2 that was only released as a red label Greatest Hits version. 

Is your head spinning yet? 

25 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

No, they wouldn't count. That's like saying an eshop card counts towards a set. Just because it has a box doesn't change the fact its just a digital game

Meh, an eShop card doesn't grant you access to a specific game. The download code does. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Like 1

I think there is going to be many versions of “full set” for the Switch with no clear consensus.

Another one will be locations. I think games released in the UK only should still be part of the full set, but I’m sure people would disagree. So then does it become a US only set? But the switch has no region lock.

For now, I’m just grabbing the games that seem fun. Unfortunately for my wallet there are a lot of great games on this system. I can’t think of a system that has had this many games I’ve really enjoyed. Could just be me though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

I think there is going to be many versions of “full set” for the Switch with no clear consensus.

Another one will be locations. I think games released in the UK only should still be part of the full set, but I’m sure people would disagree. So then does it become a US only set? But the switch has no region lock.

For now, I’m just grabbing the games that seem fun. Unfortunately for my wallet there are a lot of great games on this system. I can’t think of a system that has had this many games I’ve really enjoyed. Could just be me though.

Yea, it’s probably mute for me anyway since I don’t envision a full Switch set in my future, but I was just thinking about some of these boxes that don’t have a cart and how to classify them.

Ive grabbed a couple JP exclusives, but if I did go for a full set it would likely be an NA set.

I also imagine some would go for a full retail set that doesn’t include the various Limited Run type releases and only include those that releases in a retail store.

Definitely seems like full set collecting is going to continue to evolve.

I'm fullsetting the US (ESRB) releases.  However, I do have my own definition/conditions:

Each unique US/ESRB released game on cart

- No "Code in the Box" (no cart included; Fortnite, Call of Juarez, etc.)

- No variant covers

- No collector's editions (unless the game doesn't have a standard edition; Liar Princess, Psikyo etc.)

- No re-releases (Gear Club 2, Dead Cells, Power Rangers, etc.)

- No "Fake" ESRB (games released in other regions with ESRB covers but not a "-USA" cart; Kemco Omnibus, Obakeidoro, Indivisible)

...so by my own definition I'm currently at 606 out of a possible 615 for ESRB.

I do pick up imports on occasion for games not released here I want to play (I try to keep it to a minimum, because a lot of times a US version is released later forcing me to doubledip). So, counting imports I'm somewhere around  675 games.

5 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Meh, an eShop card doesn't grant you access to a specific game. The download code does. 

@LeatherRebel5150 was probably talking about the eShop cards you can buy for specific games they sell at Target/Wal*mart

Nintendo_-_cartao_pre-pago_1.jpg.b955c5cc5ed3b0c5e1fc75ec671647a1.jpg

14 minutes ago, 11strings said:

I'm fullsetting the US (ESRB) releases.  However, I do have my own definition/conditions:

Each unique US/ESRB released game on cart

- No "Code in the Box" (no cart included; Fortnite, Call of Juarez, etc.)

- No variant covers

- No collector's editions (unless the game doesn't have a standard edition; Liar Princess, Psikyo etc.)

- No re-releases (Gear Club 2, Dead Cells, Power Rangers, etc.)

- No "Fake" ESRB (games released in other regions with ESRB covers but not a "-USA" cart; Kemco Omnibus, Obakeidoro, Indivisible)

...so by my own definition I'm currently at 606 out of a possible 615 for ESRB.

I do pick up imports on occasion for games not released here I want to play (I try to keep it to a minimum, because a lot of times a US version is released later forcing me to doubledip). So, counting imports I'm somewhere around  675 games.

@LeatherRebel5150 was probably talking about the eShop cards you can buy for specific games they sell at Target/Wal*mart

Nintendo_-_cartao_pre-pago_1.jpg.b955c5cc5ed3b0c5e1fc75ec671647a1.jpg

Yea those are the cards I was referring to.

Also your total there is alot more than 615 games even excluding the things you exclude. It's at 647-648 right now I believe. That's counting every game with a unique game code for the region that has been available to purchase but not necessarily in people's hands yet (LRG). 

10 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Also your total there is alot more than 615 games even excluding the things you exclude. It's at 647-648 right now I believe. That's counting every game with a unique game code for the region that has been available to purchase but not necessarily in people's hands yet (LRG). 

Oh wow, we're already up to that many (is that only counting US real cartridge releases?)  Not bad considering the WiiU I think only managed what about 150-200ish?  Even the great NES/SNES US libraries I think are what, 750ish each?

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

Oh wow, we're already up to that many (is that only counting US real cartridge releases?)  Not bad considering the WiiU I think only managed what about 150-200ish?  Even the great NES/SNES US libraries I think are what, 750ish each?

Yea that's only US, I only track the US. Tomorrow should have 3 games released putting at the 650 mark and I'll do my usual update post in this thread of my spreadsheet (I do this after every 50 or so games) of all the games released thus far. So keep an eye out for that tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don't count games that aren't physically out yet.  You are counting Limited Run preorders, I don't count them until they have started shipping.  I'm sure our numbers are similar. I have around 50 preorders for stuff like iam8bit, Physicality, fangamer, VGNYsoft, Special Reserve & Limited Run. 

Edited by 11strings

35 minutes ago, 11strings said:

I don't count games that aren't physically out yet.  You are counting Limited Run preorders, I don't count them until they have started shipping.  I'm sure our numbers are similar. I have around 50 preorders for stuff like iam8bit, Physicality, fangamer, VGNYsoft, Special Reserve & Limited Run. 

Ah, ok that makes sense then

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Here it is, another 50 games since the last update. We're up to 650 games and will probably surpass the NES licensed count by Christmas.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18UCeKB0rLMvko4ZJjxm665hbqjpoD-7bxjX0i7OkKyU/edit?usp=sharing

Nice list... FYI Soccer, Tactics & Glory was already released in the US so may want to move that over.

2 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Nice list... FYI Soccer, Tactics & Glory was already released in the US so may want to move that over.

I wasn't sure about that one. I don't think Gamestop sold it and I use that as a basic litmus test if a game was really released combined with ebay listings. The only ebay listings are stock photos which really don't prove anything. So I was waiting to see an actual photo of it for sale  on ebay or just any picture to pop up of the actual game in a collection or something.

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I wasn't sure about that one. I don't think Gamestop sold it and I use that as a basic litmus test if a game was really released combined with ebay listings. The only ebay listings are stock photos which really don't prove anything. So I was waiting to see an actual photo of it for sale  on ebay or just any picture to pop up of the actual game in a collection or something.

I have the game. I got it from Amazon

Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Any chance you can take a picture of the back so I can get the HAC code and barcode, or just reply with that info when you get a chance? it would be greatly appreciated.

I am traveling for work this week so won't be until after

https://www.amazon.com/Soccer-Tactics-Glory-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07RWGN427/

8 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

TFW I didn’t sell my AC Switch for $750 during peak COVID mania 😩

It'll go back up man. If I had to guess, this is just left over stock from the initial order but was delayed bc of COVID. Nintendo doesn't have a good track record with keeping these themed home consoles in stock for long. Wind waker Wii U, New SMB Wii both come to mind and once those were gone they were gone forever. I expect these are the same way. 

I remembered that Doom 64 was a thing on LRG today along with Shantae with its ticking clock.  First one no brainer, second one on a GBC cart when the alternative is a 20 year old $500-600 hell yeah buy that.

Currently despite having that Mario package release, I started to yet again pick away at my Cat Story 1+2 card, deeply (I think now) into the 2nd game and it's quite nice.