IGNORED

The Switch Thread

That Ys game is tempting but I have it on GoG already so it's not console/handheld locked so it's a pass for me since it's installed and been played.

I do like the look of SW Ep 1 Racer though, also the upcoming stuff from them (LRG) has a few other possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a newsletter today from iam8bit saying they’re doing a physical release of Untitled Goose Game, pre orders now open. Also available from skyboubd games.

I’d never heard of the game, but apparently it’s from an Australian developer. So I should probably show my support and grab a copy 🙂

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Whoa that's awesome. Very useful too. I'll be checking my collection again but last count was I had 324 games. Long way to go and it won't end for a while for sure.

5 hours ago, Skorp said:

Just found out Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition is going for over $200 now. Pretty insane. That was so easy to preorder and get so guessing low print run or scalpers have most of them?

Something like that. It's a great example of how nutso the Switch collecting market is. It was an early cycle release and AFAIK it was sitting on store shelves for a while. I had slept on it because I already had it for Wii U, not realizing that the Switch version has extra content and that eventually I would want to have all the Shantae games on Switch. I paid $120 for my copy and that was earlier this year and even then it was one of those eBay listings I managed to see and buy right away. 

Another game like this is Monster Boy, I remember it was sitting there on Amazon, at Best Buy, etc. for under $40 for a good while, but now that you can't find it anymore it fetches almost $100 on eBay. And I still see people finding new copies at Fred Meyer (where it sells for MSRP, $39.99). Other games that come to mind are Atelier Ryza and the two Minecraft Story Mode games. 

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Switch lifecycle ends and most casual Switch owners start unloading their collections, I imagine some of these games that had standard retail releases aren't as rare as people think they are. 

6 hours ago, Skorp said:

Just found out Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition is going for over $200 now. Pretty insane. That was so easy to preorder and get so guessing low print run or scalpers have most of them?

It was on shelves for months and even went on sale at Best Buy. Most Switch collectors live in constant FOMO and just end up paying ridiculous prices for games that aren't even remotely rare. 

It happens with most current generation Nintendo consoles for some reason. Take a look at how all those expensive, "low print" Wii U gems are fairing. Games that were selling for over $100, $200, $300 are back to $30-50. I suspect the Switch won't be any different. 

What I learned from collecting the last 3 generations of Nintendo consoles while they were current (including 3DS) is not to pay stupid prices for a game that was clearly printed in abundance or that has even a snow flakes chance in hell of a reprint. Collect what you're interested in and if there's a big franchise like Shantae that shoots up in price even though it clearly had a decent sized print run, to wait it out bc 99.8% of games will not hold their value and everyone is trying to convince themselves that their chosen game is the 0.2% that will hold the value. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shmup said:

Great work. Also thanks for maintaining such an accurate spreadsheet, I always use this as my reference. 

No problem, i've tried to keep it as up to date and accurate as possible.

If anyone see's any errors or can help provide missing info (especially with which games had a fprm of collectors editions, I havn't kept up on that) let me know and I'll fix/add.

Wow Shantae is $200? Preordered mine on Amazon and they were doing some sort of preorder bonus IIRC. Must have paid $30 or less for it.

I don’t think that’s sustainable. It will come back down. All the Shantae hype is because the first game is rare, and they’ve done some limited runs. If any Shantae game should being going for $200, it’s the first two limited runs on PS4. Those ones were truly limited.

Administrator · Posted
12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It was on shelves for months and even went on sale at Best Buy. Most Switch collectors live in constant FOMO and just end up paying ridiculous prices for games that aren't even remotely rare. 

It happens with most current generation Nintendo consoles for some reason. Take a look at how all those expensive, "low print" Wii U gems are fairing. Games that were selling for over $100, $200, $300 are back to $30-50. I suspect the Switch won't be any different. 

What I learned from collecting the last 3 generations of Nintendo consoles while they were current (including 3DS) is not to pay stupid prices for a game that was clearly printed in abundance or that has even a snow flakes chance in hell of a reprint. Collect what you're interested in and if there's a big franchise like Shantae that shoots up in price even though it clearly had a decent sized print run, to wait it out bc 99.8% of games will not hold their value and everyone is trying to convince themselves that their chosen game is the 0.2% that will hold the value. 

So I should sell my copy of Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero CE. Got it.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

So I should sell my copy of Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero CE. Got it.

Definitely. I sold all the rAre Wii and Wii U games once they shot up. 

The way I see it, I'm in it for the long game. If I wanted to buy them back, I easily could. It just turned out I didn't care keep collecting for those consoles so it was a win-win.

I didn't fall to FOMO collecting 3ds and basically all those prices either stayed the same or came down. The only game that went through the roof was alien chaos 3d... Which I bought 5 copies that were listed as new but only 1 was. No regrets. 

Editorials Team · Posted

Funny, I remember hearing rumblings about Shantae a few months after its release.  GameStop had a few that I considered stocking up doubles of, but my brain couldn't process such a relatively common game shooting up in price.  So I left them.

Oh well.

I’ll admit I was bit by the FOMO bug on Cooking Mama. Was really hoping the game would be pulled off shelf’s and online based on what was being said.

oh well. Grabbing a gem that one day becomes rare is a gamble and you just have to be willing to take that gamble if you want to end up with a pricey collective item in the future.

21 minutes ago, Shmup said:

It’s hard to believe that anything on the Switch will be truely rare, especially because it is multi region. I think the LRG/SRG type games with limited print runs will probably be the closest thing. Unless they pull a SRG and re print their own limited game haha.

A lot may depend on what licensing agreements are in place for the games - it wouldn't surprise me if there is time limit on exclusivity for physical versions of the  games.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

It’s hard to believe that anything on the Switch will be truely rare, especially because it is multi region. I think the LRG/SRG type games with limited print runs will probably be the closest thing. Unless they pull a SRG and re print their own limited game haha.

Rarity for a cartridge is unlikely, every game has a minimum print # required by Nintendo (3k for Europe/Australia, 5k for North America, etc) and collectors are already ensuring no game ever gets lost to time. Rarity for a variant print is another story, some collector’s editions are limited to 1k or even less, but again, collectors collect those. And with most stuff nowadays it’s unlikely that a game becomes rare in new / like new condition like we had with cardboard box games. The exception will have to be if some game sells very poorly and/or ends up getting pulled from shelves, which could eventually happen like we saw with Barbie Groom & Glam Pups on 3DS. Which highlights the other funny thing about modern collecting; the thing that ends up being rare and hard to find usually isn’t a game that every collector wanted, but some random game collectors weren’t even aware of until it was too late.

22 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Rarity for a cartridge is unlikely, every game has a minimum print # required by Nintendo (3k for Europe/Australia, 5k for North America, etc) and collectors are already ensuring no game ever gets lost to time. Rarity for a variant print is another story, some collector’s editions are limited to 1k or even less, but again, collectors collect those. And with most stuff nowadays it’s unlikely that a game becomes rare in new / like new condition like we had with cardboard box games. The exception will have to be if some game sells very poorly and/or ends up getting pulled from shelves, which could eventually happen like we saw with Barbie Groom & Glam Pups on 3DS. Which highlights the other funny thing about modern collecting; the thing that ends up being rare and hard to find usually isn’t a game that every collector wanted, but some random game collectors weren’t even aware of until it was too late.

Yep very good points. I guess what might push up the prices of those limited games though is if the demand passes how many copies were made for a LRG run and they don’t get a reprint.

Like you said, it’s more likely going to be a game that was pulled from the shelves that is rare. But even then, now that we have access to information more easily most people are onto these things pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Are we sure it's 5000 for NA? I could've sworn it was as little as 1000. At least that's what number sticks in my head. I think it's because I remember LRG used to have a description on their listings that said that preorders could end slighty early on the last day to round off to the nearest 1000th. That way they didn't get stuck with 1001 ordered and have to get 2000 printed, kinda thing

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Are we sure it's 5000 for NA? I could've sworn it was as little as 1000. At least that's what number sticks in my head. I think it's because I remember LRG used to have a description on their listings that said that preorders could end slighty early on the last day to round off to the nearest 1000th. That way they didn't get stuck with 1001 ordered and have to get 2000 printed, kinda thing

That number stuck in your head is the PS4 minimum. Switch is 5000.

Even for open preorders LRG has to do at least 5000. The rounding is because Nintendo requires increments of 1000 beyond the minimum. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Thanks 1