IGNORED

The Switch Thread

On 6/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Tabonga said:

I just pre-ordered this - it is based on John Carpenter's The Thing movie - looks pretty intriguing for a survival horror game.

I’m on the fence about paying for a physical with the mixed reviews, so I just purchased this for less than $3.00 on Humble Bundle this morning. That’s worth it if you’re not sure if it’s worth it yet.

14 minutes ago, Californication said:

Alright time to go order Master Blaster. I was planning standard, but am now thinking C/E. Smh.

Fight it! Stick with the standard if you plan to play the game. If it’s shelf candy CE but the box appears to be so big it was a no go for me. I’m over the large CE boxes.... real estate is King in collecting 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Fight it! Stick with the standard if you plan to play the game. If it’s shelf candy CE but the box appears to be so big it was a no go for me. I’m over the large CE boxes.... real estate is King in collecting 🙂 

Sorry, I said collectors edition; I meant classic edition. It's just they made the standard look like Gundam Wings or some sort of Anime dating sim.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Sorry I said collectors edition. I meant classic edition.

The value isn’t there Imo..... if I’m thinking long term I rather buy 2 copies for $60 than 1 CE for $55. They shorted the CE with just a CD, poster and slip cover. I guess they wanted to focus on the larger collectors edition. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

The value isn’t there Imo..... if I’m thinking long term I rather buy 2 copies for $60 than 1 CE for $55. They shorted the CE with just a CD, poster and slip cover. I guess they wanted to focus on the larger collectors edition. 

Ya, you're right. (And I just bought a copy of Pocky and Rocky for $130 that I figured I would flip it, but then I played the game. So looks like I am out $130 on my budget this month, lol) Going for the standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

Yep.  Some dumb big box that could be 10-30 games on the shelf.

Man, i know i am late to the party, but i just got a switch and absolutely love it. 

I am in bed a lot because i am disabled and being able to lay down in bed with the screen propped up on something and being able to use a pro controller, is a great way to play. I got it to play pokemon finally. The system definitely exceeded my expectations, although i absolutely hate the joycons, and find it awkward to hold as a handheld. Need to get a grip. Me and my girl have been playing some of the cheap but fun 2 player games, Heave ho, Deru, snipperclips, etc. I would buy it just for this reason alone, it's been a great way to bond. Pokemon on the other hand i am very conflicted. 

Pros
-Looks amazing
-Lots of quality of life enhancements like being able to access the pokemon box anywhere
-Wild area and being able to see pokemon is awesome
-Can avoid most trainers if you want and pokemon
Cons
-Not every pokemon, DLC in a pokemon game is a bummer
-Too damn EASY, like painfully easy. The dynamax gimmick i am not a fan of. And the raids where you get exp candies, pretty much breaks the game IMO as well as the exp share. I am 3 hours in and already have 6 level 25 pokemon and i avoided EVERY trainer, except for maybe 1 or 2 i had to fight. Haven't even hit the first gym. 
-Money is everywhere, you almost never have to worry and can stock up far too much on everything

I still am enjoying the game, which is all that matters. But i feel if they make some tweaks to bring back at least some of the old style hardships that make pokemon fun IMO it would be better. At the very least, turn the exp share off or give the option. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Magus said:

Man, i know i am late to the party, but i just got a switch and absolutely love it. 

I am in bed a lot because i am disabled and being able to lay down in bed with the screen propped up on something and being able to use a pro controller, is a great way to play. I got it to play pokemon finally. The system definitely exceeded my expectations, although i absolutely hate the joycons, and find it awkward to hold as a handheld. Need to get a grip. Me and my girl have been playing some of the cheap but fun 2 player games, Heave ho, Deru, snipperclips, etc. I would buy it just for this reason alone, it's been a great way to bond. Pokemon on the other hand i am very conflicted. 

Pros
-Looks amazing
-Lots of quality of life enhancements like being able to access the pokemon box anywhere
Cons
-Too damn EASY, like painfully easy. The dynamax gimmick i am not a fan of. And the raids where you get exp candies, pretty much breaks the game IMO as well as the exp share. I am 3 hours in and already have 6 level 25 pokemon and i avoided EVERY trainer, except for maybe 1 or 2 i had to fight. Haven't even hit the first gym. 
-Money is everywhere, you almost never have to worry and can stock up far too much on everything

I still am enjoying the game, which is all that matters. But i feel if they make some tweaks to bring back at least some of the old style hardships that make pokemon fun IMO it would be better. At the very least, turn the exp share off or give the option. 

You probably are already generally aware of this but I figure doesn't hurt to share in case - if you have trouble propping up the Switch just right while lying in bed, something like this can help a ton: https://www.amazon.ca/Tryone-Gooseneck-Nintendo-Samsung-Overall/dp/B01BXRDH08

I use one myself (not this one specifically) and they're great to get the perfect viewing angle even lying on your back.

As for Pokemon - agree; you basically HAVE to add your own restrictions to make the game even minimally challenging. Very disappointed overall, the game was incredibly short and it felt like you moved at a break-neck pace through the gyms, with little to nothing else to do along the way. I loved in Gen 1 & 2 where you'd get sidetracked by Team Rocket etc. and Gyms weren't the ONLY thing carrying you forward through the game.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Magus said:

Pros
-Looks amazing
Cons

Buy Shin Megami Tensei V when (or if) it comes out.  It's like adult Pokemon that's hard as fuck.

6 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

You won me over. I went with the standard editions because of this. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmph I enjoy the exp share, not sure what this lv25 after 3 hours bs is with that many, not buying it.  I'm not sure what hours i'm at after doing a few today but I just cleared gym 2+3 and got up to the next hub, but i'm low so I'll have to do some leveling of some pokemon in prep for the next gym which with Shield I think is the split gym so it'll be some annoying ghosts.

The exp share being automatic is SO welcome because it makes the game far far far less tedious and life sucking when having to level up stuff.  It's not that bad given they only give a percentage to the other 5,  like 1/2 or less, but it really helps save some time.  I'm not big on dynamax either, in the fire gym I decided when it went max, I bitchslapped the thing down with my gyarados which I didn't beef just because it I felt would be more amusing and I crushed it with waterfall. 😄  The game is kind of also countering the whole so called 'ease' of it because it's far harder to catch a damn thing in a ball anymore.  Previous games there still was a really good chance to bag one that was at least 1 maybe 2 levels over your current one in battle, but now if you're even 1 under you have like a 50-75% penalty easy on catching anything no matter if you go with great balls or standard at that point in the game, or even those special ones for the type you went after (lure for water, etc.)  They force you to rank up and then some if you want a prayer at catching stuff.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, MiamiSlice said:

I use the Hori split pad pro and I love it, way better than Joycons in handheld mode, not to mention they come with a real D-pad

I really need to pull the trigger on these at some point. For now, I use the Hori left-Joycon replacement thing w/ the real d-pad, but I still find it really hard to play certain games like FPS without a Pro Controller because I can't comfortable hold the Switch; AND reach the triggers; AND reach the analog sticks... I feel like the heft of those Hori splits would help a lot.

So I have a random thought/observation... E3 and such announcements would normally be going on now-ish were it not for COVID, right? At the same time, I recently had the urge to get back into Splatoon 2, and am noticing that it seems to be sold out everywhere. None of the Gamestops, Best Buys, Walmarts or Targets in my area have it in stock. Even weirder, Target lists it as "no longer for sale," rather than just "sold out." My gut says that we should expect some new SKU, then. I don't know if I'm predicting Splatoon 3 exactly, but at the least I feel like this could be indicative of like Splatoon 2: Ultra Inky Deluxe Edition or whatever. Maybe. Or maybe it's just really popular right now, and sold out. Shrug.

• Like 1

Just now, Fleck586 said:

Aren't the servers pretty dead for Splatoon?  I tried to get on there at the beginning of the year and it could barely find me a game.

I don't know. I last played it in 2018 myself. But I figured it must still be fairly popular, as the Nintendo YT channel has recently been live streaming some kind of tournament.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

So I have a random thought/observation... E3 and such announcements would normally be going on now-ish were it not for COVID, right? At the same time, I recently had the urge to get back into Splatoon 2, and am noticing that it seems to be sold out everywhere. None of the Gamestops, Best Buys, Walmarts or Targets in my area have it in stock. Even weirder, Target lists it as "no longer for sale," rather than just "sold out." My gut says that we should expect some new SKU, then. I don't know if I'm predicting Splatoon 3 exactly, but at the least I feel like this could be indicative of like Splatoon 2: Ultra Inky Deluxe Edition or whatever. Maybe. Or maybe it's just really popular right now, and sold out. Shrug.

Half my Amazon wishlist has been sold out since COVID disrupted supply chains

Sucked into more pokemon shield today, enough that despite Streets of Rage 4 arriving I never played it.  I ended up instead of that walking the wild area some, then the entire route towards the (for shield) ghost gym with Allister and taking that down, saving it outside when notice of a disturbance.  I basically ran the wild for a time, got some rarer pokemon for the field like this elephant, a fire/poison lizard, and a few others along with ranking my group up to 33-34 for that gym battle.