IGNORED

The Switch Thread

I highly doubt that I will full set the Switch.  I started collecting thinking I might.  I have all of the first year releases for North America and I'm missing about 30 or so for the second year.  But I couldn't keep up last year and it's even worse this year.  I just don't see me doing it.  I'm sitting somewhere around 410 right now, but I have several imports in that number.  I just don't seem myself doing it.  It will probably slow down even more each year after this year.  There's just too many and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.  

10 minutes ago, Romiked2689 said:

Man I’d think if anyone was going for a full set on switch they d be keeping up. So many games 

I kind of keep an eye on it and pick up a few games here and there.  It’s not my focus right now.  I did order Cooking Mama.  I also hit up a sale when I see one.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lago said:

I kind of keep an eye on it and pick up a few games here and there.  It’s not my focus right now.  I did order Cooking Mama.  I also hit up a sale when I see one.  

That's kind of what I do.  I pick up games I'm missing on sales.  Very rarely will I preorder or pay full price anymore unless it is a title that I've been wanting to play.  I have 2 preorders in for the Xenoblade CE hoping at least 1 ships.  I bought Animal Crossing at launch, but I used a BB certificate, so I don't count that as paying full price, and I wanted that damn bell bag!  LOL

Just wanted to throw out some scattered thoughts about games I've played recently. Finally got to the point with Animal Crossing New Horizons where I'm not completely obsessed and can play other things. I take the King of the Hill approach to addictions, btw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeNdBKe1l0

Played Asphalt 9 Legends because it's free and I heard good things. The menu overload, freemium mechanics and short races re-using the same tracks over and over are annoying, but man, this game looks and plays amazing for being a Switch game. It really puts most other Switch games to shame. There really is no reason for other games to be having horrible performance issues when this game plays like it does. It certainly scratches the itch until I get something better like Grid Autosport. 

Played Vasara Collection (Vasara 1, then a few minutes of the new version). Vasara 1 is really cool, unfortunately I am not good at shmups and while I was able to just keep "feeding it quarters" I hit a level where when you die you get sent back to the beginning and I really don't see how I can get past that. I also tried the new version and while it's cool I have a feeling it will not be as good as the originals. Overall I'm glad this exists because otherwise I probably would have never heard of these games. 

Cracked open and played Windjammers, which was sitting on my shelf for a while. Oh man, this game is awesome. I originally had no interest in this game and when I got it in a blind box I was ready to sell it. Then I found out it's a port of an old arcade game and was like, HOLD UP, let me try it. Was able to play through and beat arcade mode in one sitting which is always nice for me. The inclusion of the mini games as their own modes is cool too. For an arcade port it's a great example of how arcade ports should be done. Now I just need to find some way to play multiplayer.

Finally got a copy of Dragonball FighterZ. I had no idea going in that it has a cool lobby with neat little set pieces from the series. I played arcade mode to get a feel for it (don't really have time to get into multiplayer right now and I will probably get bodied anyway because I've never been very good at fighting games). Like Asphalt 9, this game is really impressive performance-wise. I love the art style too. And the attacking / jumping / blocking was really intuitive. Feels like they took inspiration from the classic Street Fighter 2 formula (if it ain't broke don't fix it!). Been a while since I played a fighter that I could pick up and learn without too much difficulty. Also I think for a while this game was PS4 and Xbox One only and I was sad thinking I would never get to play it. 

And in the haven't played department, I loaded up Mortal Kombat 11 (another recent acquisition since it was $17 from GameStop) and it said I have to do a huge download (apparently it's 20 GB of additional data)... had to postpone that. Also I haven't played Cooking Mama Cookstar yet but I tried claiming gold coins from it and it says you can't claim them. I wonder if that has something to do with it being pulled from the eShop. 

Anyway, gonna try to play through more of the stuff that's been sitting on my shelf. Might get into DQ11 or go back to Ni No Kuni which I had started on PS3 but now want to play on Switch. We'll see!

Edited by MiamiSlice

10 hours ago, Lago said:

I think you’re too late. I think anyone who hasn’t started two years ago is too late. I know this sounds crazy. But with so many games getting minimum quantity prints, it’s already difficult. Some are already in the $100+ range. This won’t be like older platforms where physical was the dominant distribution medium and most games could be found for cheap at the end of the console lifecycle. That’s my theory. 

23 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I think you’re too late. I think anyone who hasn’t started two years ago is too late. I know this sounds crazy. But with so many games getting minimum quantity prints, it’s already difficult. Some are already in the $100+ range. This won’t be like older platforms where physical was the dominant distribution medium and most games could be found for cheap at the end of the console lifecycle. That’s my theory. 

You might be right.  I’ve noticed some games are already fluctuating.  Plus you have LRG, But I enjoy collecting, and playing, so I’ll keep chugging along.  

it is about the journey, not the destination, and all that.