IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

11 hours ago, Galdius said:

The last games of 2022:

Switch, GC, GBA and Mega Drives (I'm missing 4 games for the Tectoy fullset now) games:
S0kxTfw.jpg

The GBC games are doubles. Got lucky and found this CIB PC SMW for US$80 and bought all the Brazilian Switch games that Nintendo released here:
rRY5msh.jpg

Finally managed to add the Brazilian 24 Hours of Le Mans for the GBC to the collection and found a Playtronic Castlevania III that I already traded for some games:
syDzk6R.jpg

Traded Castlevania III for those 3 Brazilian GBC games and a box of Quest for Camelot (not pictured).
For the Brazilian GBC set now I'm missing the Quest for Camelot manual and 1 CIB game.
Noa083C.jpg

I know I have played through Red Faction before, but it was on PS2. I wish I could remember the game, but I'm drawing a blank. I believe it was good though!

• Like 2

I just got back from visiting some family overseas, and got to pick up some cool things while I was there. I could only find one retro game store while I was there, but it had some cool stuff, like old Micro Genius machines and some Whirlwind Manu carts. It even had some 72 pin pirate carts by companies like Spica.

My favorite thing the store had in stock was two copies of Super Donkey Kong 5 by Makon Soft. This game is believed to have been made by people who previously worked for Sachen (Eric Wu). The publisher in this case is Ka Sheng. Ka Sheng games got neat cartridges but are often lacking in the quality department, leading to speculation that they rushed their developers. This game is a little better than most works by Makon Soft, though it is still pretty rough. The rumble works, which is pretty rare for unlicensed Gameboy stuff. Judging by the sticker this was the English release of the game, though packaging aside it has no differences from the Taiwanese version. The first time English carts for this were documented to my knowledge was when a seller out of Singapore was new copies of it that they had sitting in plastic tubs. Those ran out quick though.

The store also had an Action 52 pirate cart for Mega Drive. I think this is a historic fake and not a more modern creation like the stuff you see on Aliexpress, which is neat.

In addition to this it had some Gameboy multicarts by SAM Factory (the ones that say "Full Color SAM GB Collection" on them). I don't have much to say about these, but the 30 in 1 cart uses a type of menu that has music from Revelations the Demon Slayer, which is the same type of menu some more notable multicart companies use.

Speaking of which, that 176 in 1 cart is by the JY Company, which also used that menu for carts with higher game counts. I got that one on Carousell. Game counts this high are extremely uncommon for Gameboy multis, but this one genuinely has it with no repeats. This one had Fire Dragon (an unlicensed game published by Gowin) on it. What is odd is that they used a version with a cracktro for this despite having also made a multi with an early build of this same game that did not feature a cracktro. I wonder if they even knew what they were putting on these things.

Finally I got a Pokemon Fire Red pirate cart. This is another historic fake. It is the final entry in the Pokemon series known to have a pirate translation into English. I mostly see pirate English translations out of Southeast Asia, which makes me think that these were never intended to deceive western audiences, but instead targeted at areas where the official release was far less accessible. I found that one at a thrift store

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5407.JPG

Edited by Ankos
Forgot to mention Spica
  • Like 9
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

December Dreamin'

Pulled the trigger on missing Xenoblade CEs (I might get the Wii edition with a red controller one day, or I may not):

8p7gbnN.jpg

WpM3wX6.jpg

Praey for the Gods Kickstarter rewards:

k1HJhPj.jpg

5L4J3OZ.jpg

Black Friday splurge from Coolshop:

CIn4sJh.jpg

J9VLYjN.jpg

MkOb5CE.jpg

ofV7dqT.jpg

Black Friday splurge from Bazaar Bazaar (the Dark Souls bag and keychain were surprise freebies):

Xvyau9P.jpg

VRtzIZt.jpg

nrjzX3t.jpg

Double the fun with Cotton:

vDTz2rb.jpg

More limprint shmimprint:

tgahKfS.jpg

qegW4sr.jpg

First purchase from Amazon in years:

pkdwomK.jpg

Another cultured visual novel:

dnpC84D.jpg

And lastly a banger vinyl for the spin:

hviwS4Q.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

One last post for 2022! I have not been diligent lately about taking pictures of my pickups so there are some Switch games and My Nintendo rewards not represented here, but here's my latest pickups anyway: 

PF7tbjB.jpg

Been taking advantage of sales to pick up Switch games, here's two that I picked up at nice prices, already beat Horgihugh, not a bad game. 

Of2cLHo.jpg

Got these ancient "consoles" for $20, that's two Merlins, one is CIB but the box is trashed. 

IsNx9LM.jpg

Convinced my mom to get me this for Hanukkah when it was on sale for $299. Love it. I wish I had the Outrun upright as well, but I'm having lots of fun with this one. 

9Z69FPY.jpg

Treated myself to this also at $299 with the stool and tin sign included. The stool is too tall, I'm not happy about that, and I have no use for the tin sign, might try to sell those locally unless my kids really want me to keep the stool. The game is great, my kids are OBSESSED with it, they've already made me play it through with them (all the way to the end!) 3 times. They haven't even tried bowling yet. Also, 

WENMcXX.jpg

Thanks to some resourceful Internet netizens, I was able to install TMNT & Turtles in Time and configure the frontend to let me launch either set of games on startup. Not a bad setup!

q4qLYUh.jpg

Got this Club Penguin book at Goodwill for $0.99, it looks like NOS, the stickers are still intact, and they had a whole stack of them, but I only bought 1. 

tacmOyr.jpg

In the continued spirit of treating myself I bought these two cases for my case collection, these are ones I never managed to find in the wild, figured I may as well just buy them while they are still available from Walmart dot com 3rd party sellers. 

6cN2ag8.jpg

Lastly, managed to pick up the 4 My Nintendo rewards that dropped this month, here's the Earthbound ones. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 9
  • Love 5

And I got out today taking a couple hours for myself, and locally it has been dry for a good month pretty much, and I'm fine with that.

But today, I found these things, and I spent more than I wish I had ($150) but given what these tend to cost, this is definitely considered ahead of reality which is good (a shame?)  What's best, the true best to me, I have been wanting to get back that old GB and GC game for a few years now, refusing to eat the online value, wanting to find it on my own time and got both within an hour. 😛

Gamexchange had Goemon ($65) and Shaman King ($15) and Goemon was one of the big years out wants, it tends to cost what I paid in this clean of shape and higher.  Shaman King I got curious about, googled it, saw that it's like Castlevania (metroidvania) where Konami basically re-used their engine for this anime series so I grabbed it for something new.

And then I got that feeling I should look into the annoying goodwill, and the feeling paid off, small stack of GC games, and as usual, not a deal exactly, not thrift value at least.  But finally the other long term want (re-purchase too like Goemon) is Wario World ($70.)  This one is immaculate on the disc(not a mark), manual, etc and in this shape they usually sell well north of $100 so that's a win.

1-1-2023warioworld-goemon-shamanking.thumb.jpg.e66d49317ad437f6025b10729c6fcef2.jpg

• Like 10

For some reason I can't resist these NIS Prinny collections. I've heard the games are super buggy and maybe even unable to be completed, but I'm a sucker for this stuff.

ofDn3P8.jpeg

Here are the three games my son got for Christmas (all for less than a single new game when I was a kid, somehow) as well as Observer for the collection.

8Lqpr6I.jpeg

• Like 13

On 1/2/2023 at 6:23 PM, DoctorEncore said:

For some reason I can't resist these NIS Prinny collections. I've heard the games are super buggy and maybe even unable to be completed, but I'm a sucker for this stuff.

I know the feeling 🙂

Although I didn't hear that they are very buggy, is that true for all of the releases?

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, DOOM TUSK said:

Todays mail call and some vhs goodness I got as a Xmas gift. Thought you all would enjoy that 😉 

Wizards & Warriors III had the box cut up and stuck in a plastic shell but it’s better than nothing I suppose 😁

123A7DF3-8474-47EC-B9D4-BCE761BCAC13.jpeg

I glanced at that Windows tape and thought that it was looking real 90s with the generic Friends on the cover with that unbuttoned shirt and Rachel haircut.  Then I looked closer and saw it's actually featuring Matthew Perry and Jen Anniston. 😅

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I glanced at that Windows tape and thought that it was looking real 90s with the generic Friends on the cover with that unbuttoned shirt and Rachel haircut.  Then I looked closer and saw it's actually featuring Matthew Perry and Jen Anniston. 😅

The whole VHS is on YouTube. If you want to watch the most 1995 thing ever, I highly suggest it. 😁

On 1/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, avatar! said:

I know the feeling 🙂

Although I didn't hear that they are very buggy, is that true for all of the releases?

I believe at least three of the six games have game-breaking bugs which make them unbeatable without a patch. Obviously most of us will have no problem updating the games, but it sucks having unfinished versions of the games on the cart.

image.jpeg.d994871c9a151a9e0287735472ab6b85.jpeg

Visited McDonald's after reading that they have toys for the new Mario movie. I bought some Sonic 2 movie toys and a Pokemon Happy Meal in 2022. 

I saw the Mario toys on display. I don't eat at McDonald's very often. But remembering they had a Pikachu Happy Meal box last summer, I decided to go ahead and order a Happy Meal. I wasn't given a Mario box, but I didn't think much of it. I took my meal to go, and looked inside the box. There was a Shrek toy inside instead of a Mario toy. I was a bit disappointed, but didn't feel like going back in that night and decided to go back another day.

image.jpeg.1d51b695a72c1ab416c826846a7005da.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f1d9b6413d77b3b59afcf2527508539.jpeg

image.jpeg.23e25888236915508663439195bd80af.jpeg

I went back to McDonald's, hoping they had some Mario toys left. I was originally going to just buy some toys, but I noticed a Mario Happy Meal box on the counter so I ordered another Happy Meal. I don't know why they didn't give me that box before. I asked if they had any Mario toys left and they showed me one toy: Toad Kart. It was then that I noticed there was a Mario Happy Meal box on the counter and I asked if I could get the Mario toy with a Happy Meal. I waited for my order and was given a Mario box. I decided to eat my meal at the restaurant this time. For some reason, they gave me the same Shrek toy. I exchanged it for the Toad Kart toy they showed me.

Thinking that video game collectors were snatching these toys, I visited two other McDonald's locations. The second location I went to had the Luigi toy and the Toad Kart. They also had the Jumping Mario toy on display beside some Happy Meal boxes. I considered asking if I could buy the Jumping Mario toy that was on display, but it was a little busy so I just decided to buy the Luigi toy and left. Didn't matter, because the third location I went to had the same three toys so I was able to buy the Jumping Mario toy after all.

I plan on watching the new Mario movie in the Theater, as I did with the Sonic movies.

image.jpeg.26bef4ef00707ed9c9c2b1e602eeb69a.jpeg

image.jpeg.cbb168ecb32f7bfdd7083e3ad794500f.jpeg

I also went to the Salvation Army. They had some Atari 2600 games there, but they were mostly sports games and were not in very good condition. So instead I bought Season 2 of The Simpsons on DVD, which was five or six bucks. Box is a little worn, but all of the discs are included and look clean.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 8

My van leveled up and learned a new trick!

spacer.png

My van came with an entertainment system built in, which has a VCP (yes, you read that right) in the hump between the front two seats.  On the back of it are a couple of 12V sockets, a couple of headphone jacks, buttons to switch the setup from headphones to the car's speakers, a light up display to indicate what's currently selected out of the entertainment options, buttons to control everything, as well as a set of composite aux ports.

Unfortunately, the ejection handle for the VCP came broken, locking the unit inside the center console, and it appears to have something wrong with it, as it has never been able to fully power up, and took in a test tape halfway before power faded and it getting stuck.  So, I figured that the screen being blank when it got pulled down was the norm and that with two disconnected power connectors showing under each front seat (as well as the CD changer under the driver's seat being totally dead/unresponsive) that someone hadn't hooked all the power lines back up when fixing it, then broke the VCP, preventing access to getting it all fixed.

However, a couple of weeks ago or so, we are all out and about in the evening, and for some reason the screen in the ceiling got flipped down.  My kids sometimes do this to pretend that they're watching TV and make things up that are going on on it to make each other giggle, so I thought nothing of it.  However, when I went to push it up and out of the way when leaning in to buckle the kids' belts, I thought I saw a dim outline around the edges of the screen, indicating that the screen was getting power and the backlight actually worked.  The parking lot we were in was reasonably well lit, so I couldn't be sure, but I became determined to figure out some way to test it.  I immediately thought of the fake NES Mini I'd picked up for my kids (replacing the one given to me by CZRoe from NA on NA shortly before it collapsed), then promptly forgot about it.

This evening, we had some errands to run after everyone got out of work/school, so we were later getting home than usual, and as a result hitting up the fridge for leftovers instead of me needing to immediately start cooking dinner.  As I walked from one room to another, my eyes passed across my kids' fake NES Mini that I'd had downstairs to test a new TV I'd picked up for them last week and I finally remembered about taking it outside to test the aux inputs on the back of the center console.

Seeing as the photo is there, it's obviously working.  There was a little bit of jumpiness in the video signal that I need to track down (first guess is dirty/corroded video input), but it was happy to take USB power from the bluetooth audio adapter I keep in the van (second guess is iffy power from the el-cheapo adapter), and played everything I tested on the little NES without issue.  The screen obviously has some sort of damage starting at the center and moving outward, but for the moment, it's not really a huge issue as it's just going to be used to keep my kids busy/distracted while driving around.  And, if worse comes to worse, there's a local salvage yard that has several vans configured like mine that I can most likely scout for parts.

Here's hoping that sometime this year I can finally figure out how to unlock the VCP from the console without being able to remove it (the screws and bolts that connect it to the floor are underneath, and not even the engineers who designed the thing have been able to provide folks in my situation with a solution in ~10-15 years per various forums) and get access to the full harness so I can track down and resolve the rest of the missing entertainment options.

• Like 6