IGNORED

What’s your favorite Mario game?

GPX

The most iconic gaming character that’s lived for over 30 years and still going strong! He revolutionized the platform genre with creativity and complexity in equal measure. Evolving into other genres and spin-offs such as kart racing, party games, sports games and fighting games!

Yes, I’m talking about Mario! (Give yourself half a point if you were thinking Sonic). 

Questions: How many Mario games have you played and/or completed? What is your fairest of them all?

I think I’ve played through roughly a dozen Mario games. Majority would be the platformers on various platforms and Super Mario Kart. 

I’ve completed most of the platformers except not yet played Mario 2/3 or Mario Odyssey. Looking back, the only Mario game I’ve completed twice is Mario 64 - once on N64 and again on the DS. So overall I would have to say Mario 64 would be my fave Mario game of all time (for now).

5 hours ago, GPX said:

I think I’ve played through roughly a dozen Mario games. Majority would be the platformers on various platforms and Super Mario Kart. 

I’ve completed most of the platformers except not yet played Mario 2/3 or Mario Odyssey. Looking back, the only Mario game I’ve completed twice is Mario 64 - once on N64 and again on the DS. So overall I would have to say Mario 64 would be my fave Mario game of all time (for now).

I was going to come in here and just say SMB3, but after reading your experience, it's legit 100% mine too.  I played SM64 and got every single star on the N64.  I played it again, later on the DS and got all the stars again. I've lately been thinking of playing through the DS title one more time recently.

None of that's true for SMB3.  It's a game I like to visit about 1-2 times a year. I play it for 30 minutes to an hour, I never beat it (I never could) and then I move on.

Comparing the two, I guess SM64 probably is my favorite if I'm honest, but SMB3 was so polished for the NES and I have such fond memories for it.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

I've finished NES 1,2 & 3 several times in my life. Done them all without warping at least once.

Finished 100% Super Mario World many, many times. Probably played this the most besides the original SMB.

Got all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 twice I think, and did it in the DS versions as well (I think that one had 150 stars.)

Beat New Super Mario Bros DS (never got 100% though)

Finished 100% NSMB Wii, NSMB U, and Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World.

Mario is one of my favorite franchises of all time. The original is the first video game I ever played and got me hooked for life. They are just good, simple fun. Sad to say I've never played the Galaxy games, though, nor have I played Odyssey yet.

My favorite has to be Super Mario World.

I've played basically all the main ones. Missed a few RPGs and Sports games here or there.  I would have to say top 3 are Super Mario World,  Paper Mario and Super Mario Odyssey. 

Now that said, I have missed out on Sunshine and Thousand Year Door so I may have to reevaluate after checking those out, but I still feel pretty confident in my choices. 

• Like 1

Super Mario 64, easily. It was an absolute game changer for video games. It was the biggest WOW moment I've ever had, playing the game for the first time. Still one of my absolute favorite games of all time and still is a joy to play each and every time. I remember spending countless hours just running around trying to jump up hills  and find every secret and coin and defeat every enemy. I think it's impossible to top it in a purely fun factor kind of way, for me personally.

I've beaten and played every Mario game. Yes, every single one. Even the spinoffs. But as far as 100%ing Super Mario 64 was the first one  I ever 100% mastered. Super Mario World, Super Mario Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros. I also played to death and completed 100%. From Galaxy onward I pretty much just completed the main game and never bothered to get 100% although with Odyssey I've come really close. I just don't know if I want to spend  the time to get the last few dozen Moons or so. Being that there are 999 of them in the game and less than 100 away from completion a few dozen is not that much but I think I am satisfied with my progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkTone said:

World is my favourite. Galaxy is my worst. Will NEVER touch odyssey. 

I’m guessing you’re not a 3D kinda guy?

Galaxy is more an update to Mario 64. They’re both great in reinventing the platform genre. What makes Galaxy the worst in your opinion? 

5 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I've played basically all the main ones. Missed a few RPGs and Sports games here or there.  I would have to say top 3 are Super Mario World,  Paper Mario and Super Mario Odyssey. 

Now that said, I have missed out on Sunshine and Thousand Year Door so I may have to reevaluate after checking those out, but I still feel pretty confident in my choices. 

Check out TTYD. I like it a lot. I haven’t played Paper Mario 1, but everything I’ve seen says TTYD took everything in PM and made it more and better. 

Don’t bother with Sunshine, IMO. But Mario just doesn’t work in 3D for me, so ymmv.

Best imo is Mario 3. The worlds are really distinct from each other and they each have different music. Just the right amount of secrets. Perfectly sized stages. You can beat it quick or pull an epic all-nighter. The inventory system is more fun than in later games where you can only hold one in reserve (but you do get to activate it mid-level in those later games). 2-player mode is awesome, you can switch turns if you want, whether for help, or to screw the other person.

And the control is tight tight tight. This must be a personal failing, but I could never get the hang of maintaining flight path in SMW. It’s spot on in 3. So is jumping and landing, that’s my biggest problem in the 3D games. 

SMB3 is the best of the series in every aspect. 

4 minutes ago, Link said:

Best imo is Mario 3.

And the control is tight tight tight. This must be a personal failing, but I could never get the hang of maintaining flight path in SMW. It’s spot on in 3. So is jumping and landing, that’s my biggest problem in the 3D games. 

SMB3 is the best of the series in every aspect. 

I love the leaf. Hate the feather. 

the flight pattern of the cape is a turn off for me. The raccoon tail is perfection. 

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros 3 has and will always be my favorite. I’ve played and beat most.. 

Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2  and Super Mario 3D World. I’ve completed. 

Currently working on Mario 2 and I pick up Odyssey here and there 🙂

1 hour ago, Link said:

Check out TTYD. I like it a lot. I haven’t played Paper Mario 1, but everything I’ve seen says TTYD took everything in PM and made it more and better. 

Don’t bother with Sunshine, IMO. But Mario just doesn’t work in 3D for me, so ymmv.

Heh, I definitely enjoy 3D Mario so not sure if I can take you up on that, but yeah I hear a lot of great things about ttyd, I grew up playing PM and have a lot of nostalgia and appreciation for it, and I kinda like that it's a bit more simple. When I say I havent played ttyd, I mean to the end, I have played up to the second level just never finished it. I dont have a good reason why I havent played it through, just havent. It definitely looks like an excellent game. But yeah, definitely reccomend checking about PM as well 👍