IGNORED

What’s your favorite Mario game?

GPX

Gotta be SMB3.  I’ve played it more times than I can count.  Although it’s hard to discount the original SMB. It’s so simple and perfect for what it is.  Everything about it is unforgettable.  I also get a little bit of a chubby for the color scheme in world 3.

edit:  oh yeah I almost forgot, super Mario 64 sucks.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1

Probably an uncommon opinion, but New Super Mario Bros for DS. It controls just as tight as any other mario, the level design is top notch, the way they used the two screens is brilliant. And it had the best powerups in a 2d mario. Koopa shell, are you kidding me? It's hard to control, but when you figure it out, you are a wrecking ball! The mini mushroom is awesome where you can find the secrets in the mini pipes as well as unlock world 4 and 7.

I had taken a break for a few years from gaming, and jumped right back in when I discovered it plus an old ds in my wife's old things.

32 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Probably an uncommon opinion, but New Super Mario Bros for DS. It controls just as tight as any other mario, the level design is top notch, the way they used the two screens is brilliant. 

This reminds me, did anyone here ever play Contra 4 on DS? That game is legitimately badass. One of the only action games I actually went back through on harder difficulties just because it was so damn fun.

• Like 1

I've mentally battled myself for years when this comes up again and again on sites or in person and I can never answer clearly.  I go between SMB3 and SMW (SMB4.)  They both have this push that puts them well over the board of quality of anything before and after it when it comes down to sheer diversity of the stages, enemies, stage elements, music, all the mechanics in general, the big picture.  SMB3 may edge it in capabilities with the various suits, but then SMW has some nicer refinements and added mechanics with Yoshi that really draw you there too.

• Like 2

SMB3 is just NES perfection.

Mario64 did 3d arguably better than anybody else of the era, AND was one of the first.

Mario RPG took things in a whole different direction and still worked masterfully.

the Mario Kart series hasn't had a bad entry.

Super Mario 3D World is criminally underrated.

i can't pick right now but lean towards SMB3

• Like 1

Mine is SMW.

maybe SMB3 is the better game, as it is pure perfection. But the memories of seeing SMW in action for the first time, after having played the NES for 5 or so years.. And being completely hyped up for it, after having seen what Nintendo was really capable of at that time..

It was pure magic and I still get that same feeling when I fire up SMW. Looking back, I am actually amazed that Nintendo could deliver SMW after having delivered SMB3. Nowadays any follow up game that would be delivered after something as good as SMB3 would disappoint for sure. 

But both are great games. I have played all of the main 3D installments aas well, but those never reached the same level. In my opinion they don’t come anywhere near. 

• Like 1

Super Mario 3 is my favorite followed closely by World. The Tanooki suit set 3 above World and the cape. 

Galaxy is the worst. I would much rather play Sunshine again than Galaxy or Odyssey. Sunshine feels more like Mario 64, than the other two. 

I have completed all the main Mario games on consoles and Lands on Gameboy. I 100% completed World, Yoshi’s Island, 64, Sunshine and close on Odyssey. The others I just beat Bowser.  

4 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Is Yoshi's Island technically a 'Mario game'? If not, I'll go with Super Mario World.

-CasualCart

We’re talking about any Mario game, including spin-offs. Yoshi’s Island definitely qualifies when the title itself says “Super Mario World 2”. 🙂

Plus it has (annoying crying baby) Mario in the game!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

I prefer good gameplay. Those games aren't even close. 

Ha... well, having skipped the N64 originally, and revisiting Mario 64 after having played through Galaxy, I'd honestly say that in my opinion Galaxy has the better gameplay.

The platforming and gravity mechanics of planetoids and rounded surface transitions was really neat, and the camera control is head-and-shoulders better.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, Tanooki said:

I've mentally battled myself for years when this comes up again and again on sites or in person and I can never answer clearly.  I go between SMB3 and SMW (SMB4.)  They both have this push that puts them well over the board of quality of anything before and after it when it comes down to sheer diversity of the stages, enemies, stage elements, music, all the mechanics in general, the big picture.  SMB3 may edge it in capabilities with the various suits, but then SMW has some nicer refinements and added mechanics with Yoshi that really draw you there too.

Yeah, while the Kuribo Boot in SMB3 is a more fun mechanic than riding Yoshi, IMO, AND SMB3 had a bigger variety of suits/powers... SMW adding secret exits and better variety of boss fights edges it out as the better single player experience.

2-player, SMB3 takes the title, though, since you can play cooperative or competitive.

• Like 1

I find that argument there hard to argue against.  I guess it's kind of a minor level of NES clinging I suppose, but yes the 1P game is a bit better on SMW and I rarely if never played either game in 2P mode as it is so that would be a non-factor for me.  I guess I'd have to toss it towards SMW despite I like the added suits of SMB3 the Yoshi element on the whole does a lot.