IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Main Thread

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Based on a positive outcome of The Interest Check Thread, I've gone ahead and made this Club to consolidate threads and such for this club to cook all clubs.

The overarching goal here is to have a hub to not only talk about cooking and baking in general, but to share foods with each other, and to have an encouraging way to all gather around a specific food and each of us cook/bake that food and share the outcome. The hope is that this will both allow people to share their favourite foods, as well as to try new things. In the event that this becomes a thing that people like and participate in regularly, we might consider putting together some participation Charms to show off on the site (yes, we're still working on those!).

The specifics will likely change over time, such as how often a recipe is chosen and presented, what the method is for choosing, etc. etc.. Let this thread be an open discussion on logistics and general thoughts/ideas.

Some ground rules:

1. Nothing overtly and/or commonly held as being gross.
    1. Yes, some people eat bull testes; we're not gonna, don't suggest it.
  2. Primarily suggest things you actively enjoy making, or that you are actively wanting to try out.
    1. If you put up the idea of us cooking hot dogs for the week/month/whatever, and then you don't do it, it's not gonna get you kicked out of the club or anything, but I'm definitely gonna look at you sideways at the holiday party.
  3. Try to suggest things that are adjustable based on various dietary needs.
    1. A good example might be "Thanksgiving dinner", "Your favourite deli sandwich", or "Tacos".
    2. A bad example would be "Mussels". I'd call that too specific and restrictive.
    3. An odd example might be "Steak" - a vegetarian could interpret this as "Cauliflower Steak" (example recipe) and that would be acceptable (and a cool interpretation!).

Meal Threads:

1. VGS Cooking Club: The Grilled Cheese (Nov. 2023) - Topics - Video Game Sage
  2. VGS Cooking Club: The Tacos (Dec 2023) - Topics - Video Game Sage
  3. VGS Cooking Club: The Fast Food Inspired (Jan 2024) - Topics - Video Game Sage
  4. VGS Cooking Club: The Meatloaf (Feb 2024) - Topics - Video Game Sage

Suggestions/Ideas:

• Tacos
  • Chinese Desserts
  • Ramen
  • Meatloaf
  • Shepherd's Pie
  • Cornbread
  • Eggs
  • Fast Food Inspired
  • Poutine
  • Chili

Active participants list:

(@ or DM me if you'd like removed from the list)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Nothing overtly and/or commonly held as being gross.

1. Yes, some people eat bull testes; we're not gonna, don't suggest it.

This is kinda funny and debatable. Some cultures view certain things as "generally viewed as disgusting" while other countries view them as COMPLETELY NORMAL

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

All sounds good to me.  I definitely would enjoy seeing people's different interpretations of something.  So rather than it being a super specific recipe, where everyone makes exactly the same thing exactly the same way, it's kinda cool to see something slightly more broad, and then seeing how each person interprets it and executes.  

I can share with the group that I don't eat meat and I also don't eat dairy - but don't let them necessarily hold back the ideas.  If it is a "steak and potatoes" type meal or "burger," I can make the substitutions myself and share what I did.  I have something I can do for deli sandwich, burger, "chicken" sandwich, etc etc etc.  I know that most people do eat meat so it's normal for that to be included in lots of things.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, BlackVega said:

This is kinda funny and debatable. Some cultures view certain things as "generally viewed as disgusting" while other countries view them as COMPLETELY NORMAL

I will personally stand as the judge on what's gross. I don't want to be non-inclusive, but we need to be real with ourselves - picking something that a North American audience will consider "gross" is a solid way to just end up having zero participation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Like when the Mexican Pizza came back out, everyone lost their damn mind and flocked to get it. I never liked it to begin with so I went home and made my own…

I don't mean to be rude.  I love a good Taco Pizza.

Yours looks like a Quesadilla and a Grilled Cheese humped until they merged.  (I don't know how else to put it.)

It does look good.  I just don't exactly see the "pizza."  Are the bottom and top Tortillas or something else?  What's all in the middle?  

Looks like an exquisite piece of stoner food for sure.  You have my attention anyway...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PII said:

I don't mean to be rude.  I love a good Taco Pizza.

Yours looks like a Quesadilla and a Grilled Cheese humped until they merged.  (I don't know how else to put it.)

It does look good.  I just don't exactly see the "pizza."  Are the bottom and top Tortillas or something else?  What's all in the middle?  

Looks like an exquisite piece of stoner food for sure.  You have my attention anyway...

It was sandwiched between two fried tortillas. As for what was inside….. it was a while ago and I was most definitely stoned.

• Haha 1

@Gloves

I had an idea that might work well here. Maybe instead of just saying “hey everyone, we are making steak and potato’s this month”. We could do like an inspired kind of thing. Like we do a Southern US inspired dish, or a Mediterranean inspired dish or a Canadian inspired dish…… 

I figure that way we get many more types of dishes made by members and you avoid the controversy that is you saying something is gross. Also, some of us would probably make more than 1 dish that month. I know I would.

Just a suggestion. I’m in either way. Well, as long as we get to do a fast food inspired month 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

@Gloves

I had an idea that might work well here. Maybe instead of just saying “hey everyone, we are making steak and potato’s this month”. We could do like an inspired kind of thing. Like we do a Southern US inspired dish, or a Mediterranean inspired dish or a Canadian inspired dish…… 

I figure that way we get many more types of dishes made by members and you avoid the controversy that is you saying something is gross. Also, some of us would probably make more than 1 dish that month. I know I would.

Just a suggestion. I’m in either way. Well, as long as we get to do a fast food inspired month 😁

I think we can do both. To be clear on the "what's gross" thing, it's literally just stupid stuff nobody is gonna eat anyway. Bugs, testicles, etc.. 

We could even mix the ideas, maybe we have a "Mexican month" and feature some specific dishes per week. 

Plenty we can do to make it engaging and easy to participate, all ideas are welcome. 

• Like 1

I’ll say this, any kind of fast food item some people will elevate it, and there are several ways to do that. In fact it’s a great space for topics in this club to swim in. You can do so many interpretations of a burger, hot dog, fries, pizza, etc and I’m sure there will be some threads on that kind of stuff.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Link said:

I’ll say this, any kind of fast food item some people will elevate it, and there are several ways to do that. In fact it’s a great space for topics in this club to swim in. You can do so many interpretations of a burger, hot dog, fries, pizza, etc and I’m sure there will be some threads on that kind of stuff.

We could definitely do like a burger month. The topics don't have to be static - could be "Mexican month" followed by "hot dog month" followed by "spicy month". Three different types of topics, all with plenty to do. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Link said:

I’d like to think people would be more creative on this. Like don’t just do a burger, do a Big Mac. Don’t just do a burrito, do a quesorito. Don’t just do a taco, do a chalupa… so on and so on. 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

You come to Colorado, I’ll buy the weed and “Mexican pizza” ingredients.

R'right, I'ma hold you to that.  Maybe next summer if the total collapse of the world still hasn't happened yet.  A 1000+ miles would be kind of a long pizza delivery...