IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Steak (March 2024)

Gloves

March 2024 Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to eat next? (Choose any/all you'd be happy to make this month)

• Ramen
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Poutine
    • Steak
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Always wanted to make poutine, but is there any way to procure those squeaky cheese curds without making them yourself? 

Most stores here have them. Check the deli or cheese section at your local grocer. 

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

Those would work perfectly, yep.

I've not actually ever left Canada, but I have to imagine that poutine is popular enough outside of Canada at this point.  Beyond poutine, cheese curds are a nice little snack by themselves (microwave 'em like that site says!). I have to imagine they're relatively common at least in big box stores outside of Canada.

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've not actually ever left Canada, but I have to imagine that poutine is popular enough outside of Canada at this point

You guessed wrong. Poutine is awesome, but there is practically no way to procure it elsewhere. 

And yes, I've looked into how to make those cheese curds before for this same reason 😛

Edit: for anyone else interested 

https://cheesemaking.com/products/cheese-curds-recipe

Edited by Sumez

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You guessed wrong. Poutine is awesome, but there is practically no way to procure it elsewhere. 

And yes, I've looked into how to make those cheese curds before for this same reason 😛

Edit: for anyone else interested 

https://cheesemaking.com/products/cheese-curds-recipe

If you're literally unable to obtain cheese curds, the next best thing to moving to a country that does is to simply use torn Mozzarella instead. 

• Wow! 1

55 minutes ago, Sumez said:

?? 

?? You asked where to procure squeaky cheese curds if your local grocer doesn't carry them. They can be mail ordered from that page.

Your search engine /IP may be better at finding places in your locale. I found a couple but these don't really look like the curds I'm used to seeing. 

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

?? You asked where to procure squeaky cheese curds if your local grocer doesn't carry them. They can be mail ordered from that page.

Your search engine /IP may be better at finding places in your locale. I found a couple but these don't really look like the curds I'm used to seeing. 

Sumez:

Bladesmiths Trying My Best GIF by DefyTV

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

Those would work perfectly, yep.

I've not actually ever left Canada, but I have to imagine that poutine is popular enough outside of Canada at this point.  Beyond poutine, cheese curds are a nice little snack by themselves (microwave 'em like that site says!). I have to imagine they're relatively common at least in big box stores outside of Canada.

Popular enough that fried cheese curds are on quite a few pub menus around the USA. Hell, Dairy Queen sells them! I bought cheese curds from a Taiwanese chicken chain, TKK Fried Chicken @fcgamer. Poutine you don't see quite as often, mostly in diners with Quebec roots around here.

That being said poutine is delicious. And you are correct that fresh mozzarella makes a good substitute in a pinch.

9 hours ago, Link said:

You asked where to procure squeaky cheese curds if your local grocer doesn't carry them. They can be mail ordered from that page.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Sumez:

Bladesmiths Trying My Best GIF by DefyTV

Jeez dudes, sorry for setting my limit at illegal import of dairy products 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

It's illegal to purchase cheese online?

Yes it can be very hard for some countries. Australia is very strict on cheese imports.

When I went to the Netherlands I had to fill out some paperwork when purchasing it so I could bring it back with me. It was so worth it though. Some of the best cheese I’ve ever had.

I’m with Sumez, this cheese you’re talking about I’ve never seen here either.

I think I have seen Poutine here once or twice in an American inspired restaurant but I’d be surprised if they’re using these cheese curds you’re referring to unless they were making them by hand themselves or maybe mozarella substitute.

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Rules against bringing meat and dairy products across continents aren't exactly a new thing lol. Are you just intentionally being stubborn now? 😛

Being stubborn? I suggested just using mozzarella. As I said I've never left Canada, I have no clue about importing cheese. My only neighboring country is America and they can keep their cheese. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've considered using mozzarella curds, which are of course very easy to come by (and generally what you'll find if you search for it in any store in Europe), but you're probably the first Canadian I've met who would even consider accepting that as a substitute 😄

I'd say a big part of the reason why poutine is as notorious as it is, really is that it's as local to Canada as it is. You really won't find it anywhere else.

I just found a German webshop selling them (branded with a massive Canadian flag lol), probably the only place in Europe. Not sure if they ship here, but if they do that's really overkill haha. Its not in stock anyway. I'm genuinely interested in trying to make them myself. 

fucking... somehow posted before I was done

STEK

I've been reading about and vaguely wanting to try cooking steak for a while. Never had a reason 'til now but I had ideas. So I made steak 3 ways. And potatoes 2 ways and 1 side of asparagus to accompany them.

Mise en place! Seasoned, room temperature steak!
STEK1.jpg.87175de9aa472dcf5de95b38ce050b73.jpg

I used eye of round. It's one of the cheapest cuts of full steak.

Reduced red wine sauce, and cubed potatoes
STEK2.jpg.f0b2bbe4b7755b8e97adf3c7c94a9765.jpg

Full plate with three ways, and including the second potato (toasted mashed)
STEK3.jpg

The third one finished last and I cut it too soon, but the others kept the juice in. Overall I think I can cook steak now.

Sage, garlic, and mushroom in everything (except the asparagus and third steak), thyme in the butter and potatoes. There were also mushrooms in the sauces.
1: pan cooked in red wine. 2. pan cooked in butter. 3. oven cooked briefly at 500°, with more time turned off but still in the residual heat. Glasses: bourbon old fashioned, more red wine.

Edited by Link
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1