IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Fast Food Inspired (Jan 2024)

Gloves

January 2024 Poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to eat next?

• Ramen
    • Meatloaf
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Fast Food Inspired Creations
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

Administrator · Posted

As voted on, we're going to be doing Fast-Food Inspired, as suggested by @Richardhead!

An example of this might be a McDonald's Big Mac - make your own "Mac Sauce" (or buy it at the store?) cook up your own burger (ham, veggie, whatever), maybe even bake your own buns. Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme? Go for it! Take your favourite fast food item, and do it... less fast!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Quick question, when you say "ramen" do you mean proper Japanese ramen or do you mean instant noodles? This shouldn't even be a question, but figured it would be best to ask.

Administrator · Posted
8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Quick question, when you say "ramen" do you mean proper Japanese ramen or do you mean instant noodles? This shouldn't even be a question, but figured it would be best to ask.

You're the one who suggested that item, but regardless I'd say either. Whatever "ramen" means to an individual. I'd not mind if a person did homemade full-blown, make your own noodles and everything ramen, or take an instant ramen and add an egg to it kinda deal. It's whatever people want it to be, same as tacos or anything else.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Fast Food Inspired (Jan 2024)

So I'm looking at this month like I am designing a menu for a fast food restaurant rather than doing a copycat of a menu item that already exists. We can call my fantasy fast food restaurant "VGSandwiches!" I'm going for fried chicken sandwiches. @T-Pac, want to design a logo of the sage eating a chicken sandwich?😅

First the base chicken sandwich...

20240109_183921.jpg.9de1663bc4d326ce5ce29a3e8587f5ee.jpg

We call this the "Basic Platformer". Fried chicken, lettuce, and mayo.

Then we have the "deluxe" version with mixed cheese and baconCompress_20240109_201538_8475.jpg.2d26917d051078cac8a13e225320b598.jpg

We can call this the "Shmup". The tag line for this upsell is "Or Fly High With A SHMUP".

Then we have some variants:

Compress_20240109_201538_8616.jpg.620fa06fa31b29473a7c6de266af366d.jpg

"Flamin' Shmup" Shmup with blue cheese, Buffalo sauce, and jalapeños.

Compress_20240109_201538_8721.jpg.39a78cdf587cebbc5b7b9e2426d92c39.jpg

Then the "Southern Shmup" with pickles and Carolina Gold sauce.

I'm working on chicken nuggets cut into cubes called Chicken Pixels. I would need to use panko crumbs and deep fry from an IQF state(individually quick frozen). Fries are a work in progress also. Fries would need to be a signature item and stand out from your basic fast food fry, but still be very good. My first instinct is peppered shoestring fries and call them "Bullethell fries"

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 4

This thread is in desperate need of some Double-Downs. Lol.

I'd be interested in participating but as a meat-only eater, there's not much I can do.  My wife has came up with her own seasoning recipe to make grilled chicken strips that taste a LOT like Chic-fil-a, but without the breading.  I'll see if I can contribute that sad option.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
On 1/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, RH said:

This thread is in desperate need of some Double-Downs. Lol.

I'd be interested in participating but as a meat-only eater, there's not much I can do.  My wife has came up with her own seasoning recipe to make grilled chicken strips that taste a LOT like Chic-fil-a, but without the breading.  I'll see if I can contribute that sad option.

zSzYBXv.jpg

Here ya go!  KFC Double Down.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:57 AM, T-Pac said:

Well he has no mouth, but I tried...

[T-Pac]

image.png

I think the last time I popped in here, this didn't load so I didn't see this.

Thing of it like VeggieTales--the characters have no arms and legs but they can still play soccer, open doors, pick up things.  It just... works.

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
35 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

In the right mood, I would probably tear 20 of these bad boys up.

I had the budget for 4 of them last night in my calorie count.  good stuff.  we usually dice the pickles, but I was being lazy, so just layered them on whole.

Edited by Jeevan

Normally I would make a smashburger with cheese, but I've done that a lot. So I wanted to try fried chicken too. First time making it.

I brined it overnight in a mix of buttermilk, egg white, and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, paprika). And I experimented with two different coatings. Regular bread crumbs, and crushed Special K and potato chips.

I should have crushed the crunchy stuff up more. It tasted good but didn't stay on the meat very well. All in all things came out pretty good, especially considering I don't have a thermometer to check oil temperature. Now I can't eat anything else for the rest of the day...

IMG_5544.jpg.0908f4b7e83a048100df2e10e2aa501f.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg.2b0fec023e5e8393b984132ed78c5090.jpg

Brine post-use

IMG_5547.jpg.ea645f3bff669b220cf1b04698d0de0f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/10/2024 at 10:03 AM, RH said:

I'd be interested in participating but as a meat-only eater, there's not much I can do.

Are you stating that you eat meat exclusively?  As in no Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Dairy, Fungi etc?  Just Meat?

8 minutes ago, PII said:

Are you stating that you eat meat exclusively?  As in no Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Dairy, Fungi etc?  Just Meat?

Correct, though I still drink coffee and  some seasonings which are mostly plant derived, get a pass.  Otherwise, yes, I only eat meat.

In fact, my son today told my wife "Dad's a Nageve".  She asked what that was and he said "Vegan backwards, because Dad only eats meats.". Lol.

• Haha 1