• Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Fast Food Inspired
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

Administrator · Posted

'Tis the season... for Tacos!

image.png

Edging out ahead of "fast food" by a single vote, this month we'll be making this traditional Mexican dish. This is one of my favourite meals to make at home, if you ignore that I tend to make Fajitas, not Tacos. I'm a bit of a rebel in that regard.

Make some tacos, take some photos, share 'em with us here.

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Link said:

Hey @Gloves what's the college class you're teaching?

Right now Intro to JavaScript. The college asked if I wanna do more classes next semester, and I'm considering it. Will depend on whether I can find something closer to my existing skillset full-time in the next month or so.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

What does fast food inspired consist of @Gloves?  Do we pick something and make it or is it gonna be something someone suggested?

It was @Richardhead's suggestion, but my understanding is that you take something fast food, let's say a Big Mac, and make it yourself, maybe even try to improve on it.

• Thanks 1

Moderator · Posted
4 hours ago, Gloves said:

It was @Richardhead's suggestion, but my understanding is that you take something fast food, let's say a Big Mac, and make it yourself, maybe even try to improve on it.

These are popular in a Blackstone group I’m in and would fit the bill IMO

IMG_0943.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

Couple more ideas I'd like to throw out there for future consideration:

Mushrooms - As in, do anything you like involving mushrooms in some fashion.

Just Stuff It In Already - As in, make anything you like that involves stuffing something or perhaps many things inside of something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Tacos
Administrator · Posted

Off to a great start with regard to being "on time", this month will be Tacos! Get cookin' and share your pics and recipes! I'll extend this one into January to account for the holidays and my lateness.

• Like 3

I tried making Doner24's Smash Taco the other night.  Actually, I first whipped up some Big Mac sauce in which to dip breaded chicken strips.  It had easily been a 1/4 of a century and probably longer since I'd tasted Big Mac Sauce, but right away I was like: "yep tastes just like a Big Mac alright."  The only thing I did different is rather than a patty I made it like a regular soft shell Taco.  Made for some good quick Tacs!

Events Team · Posted
On 11/25/2023 at 6:50 AM, Richardhead said:

I can make anything we vote on. I get $1 per hour I work extra for store credit. 😁

I like all of these options. But I went with fast food. I wanna make a chilito from Taco Bell and a Mc Rib from McDonald’s!

I really want a Richardhead McRib.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I do worse than "white people tacos" lol, I tend to call it "Taco Night", when in fact I'm making Fajitas. I'll do my best to make some proper Tacos this time around.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, Gloves said:

if you ignore that I tend to make Fajitas, not Tacos

Having vaguely heard of fajitas but never had or seen one, I looked them up and I'm not sure what they actually are. There seems to be a focus on the fillings "stripped" (wikipedia) or the vegetables are cooked instead of raw (random fajitas vs tacos web search result earlier today). So... what's the difference what's the deal? 

• Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Link said:

Having vaguely heard of fajitas but never had or seen one, I looked them up and I'm not sure what they actually are. There seems to be a focus on the fillings "stripped" (wikipedia) or the vegetables are cooked instead of raw (random fajitas vs tacos web search result earlier today). So... what's the difference what's the deal? 

skirt steak/chicken/shrimp and veggies, usually peppers and onions i think........vs the usual ground beef taco?

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, Link said:

Pretty much this:

32 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

skirt steak/chicken/shrimp and veggies, usually peppers and onions i think........vs the usual ground beef taco?

I see it as kinda like a lazy burrito.