IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Meatloaf (Feb 2024)

Gloves

February 2024 Poll   

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to eat next?

• Ramen
    • Meatloaf
    • Shepherd's Pie
    • Cornbread
    • Eggs
    • Poutine
    • Other (please comment in the thread)

On 1/28/2024 at 9:06 PM, RH said:

My other vote is for Steak.

Steak sucks here, both getting a good cut and options for grilling. I'd probably do shitty thin steaks pan fried or on an electric grill, both of which would make me sad.

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: Meatloaf (Feb 2024)
  • The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Meatloaf (Feb 2024)

I'll do anything for meat... but I won't do that. 🤢

J/k.  Really good meatloaf is alright but I might have to set this one out.  No one likes to eat it in my house but me who, typically, tolerates it.  Still, I've had really good meatloaf in my life but I don't know what takes something that's typically "meh" and makes it amazing, so I'm interested in seeing what you guys post.  Maybe some of your dishes will inspire me, later, to make a really good meatloaf since I'm trying to learn how to cook more for the house.

I've never liked meatloaf. Every time I've had it it was pretty dry. But I've been reading / researching recipes, and I'm going to try to do it better. The other challenge is making it for one person. I'll need to do some division and adapting. 

Hope to give it a shot this weekend. 

will ferrell meatloaf GIF

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
20 hours ago, Link said:

I've never liked meatloaf. Every time I've had it it was pretty dry. But I've been reading / researching recipes, and I'm going to try to do it better. The other challenge is making it for one person. I'll need to do some division and adapting. 

Hope to give it a shot this weekend. 

will ferrell meatloaf GIF

Leftovers for days!!!!!!

19 hours ago, PII said:

I've never made one before but I've got a few recipes that look really good.  Just gotta figure out which one to go for...

Might I suggest a bacon wrap?  I heard a good smoked meatloaf that has been wrapped in bacon is delicious.

8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Might I suggest a bacon wrap?  I heard a good smoked meatloaf that has been wrapped in bacon is delicious.

Oddly enough, one of the ones I was looking at is wrapped in either bacon or pancetta and another one I was looking at was a smoked variety.  I don't have a smoker so I was wondering if that can be simulated with a garden variety grill?

5 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Leftovers for days!!!!!!

Some leftovers are ok. This dish in particular doesn't really work with my dietary goals even if I stretch that to "leftovers for weeks" or had anyone to share with. It's a big thick slab of processed meat. But I am going do it anyway. I just need to figure out the baking time/temp and measurements with smaller portions. I already know how to prep, portion, and freeze, and I have some other thoughts too. You know I hate waste. But I will at min get some good sandwiches and/or breakfast fry out of this. 

5 hours ago, PII said:

I don't have a smoker so I was wondering if that can be simulated with a garden variety grill?

You can definitely smoke stuff with a fliptop barbecue grill. I know a facebook group "Sausage Debauchery" would be very helpful. Plenty of people there have custom, homemade setups, and would also be happy with their physics and technique experience to advise on doing it on the cheap and adaptable to simple gear like a walkabout grill, as that's how many started.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Link said:

You can definitely smoke stuff with a fliptop barbecue grill. I know a facebook group "Sausage Debauchery" would be very helpful. Plenty of people there have custom, homemade setups, and would also be happy with their physics and technique experience to advise on doing it on the cheap and adaptable to simple gear like a walkabout grill, as that's how many started.

I don't have a flip top either, but maybe we'll see if I can pull something off...

16 hours ago, PII said:

Oddly enough, one of the ones I was looking at is wrapped in either bacon or pancetta and another one I was looking at was a smoked variety.  I don't have a smoker so I was wondering if that can be simulated with a garden variety grill?

Yes absolutely. Just need to have smoldering wood chips in a cast iron or steel pan with the lid closed. I did it all the time with my little Weber kettle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PII said:

I don't have a flip top either, but maybe we'll see if I can pull something off...

I was referring to the garden variety grill that you mentioned, you don't have one of those? Sorry, I am confused.

15 minutes ago, Link said:

I was referring to the garden variety grill that you mentioned, you don't have one of those? Sorry, I am confused.

The one on the left is more or less what I thought you were referring to  when you said "flip-top."  The one on the right is like the kettle grill that I have with a lift-off lid.  I'm not a super-supremo-grill-lord or anything so maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at..

fliptop:kettle.png

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PII said:

I'm not a super-supremo-grill-lord or anything so maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at..

Haha, neither am I. I've never actually owned or wanted one of any kind, myself. But this is what I meant.

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

METLOF

I've never made meat loaf before. I've never liked it. I've only experienced my mother's rendition, and I did not like that. Very dry. It's not a dish I would typically serve, but for what it is, I like what I did. Juicy and flavorful.

I used this recipe for the meat:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/219171/classic-meatloaf/

Many recipes I read said to top with ketchup or a ketchup-based glaze. I hate ketchup. I don't like vinegar, and I don't like sugar in any context of meat. So I looked up a ketchup recipe, and made my own, omitting vinegar and sugar ingredients. I used this recipe for the ketchup:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232397/homemade-ketchup/

Here it is, fresh from the pan and seved on a plate.

Overall I think I made a good meat loaf.

IMG_6230.jpeg

IMG_6232.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I made "Meatloaf Wellington w/Mushoom & Madeira Sauce"  I had this once a long time ago and the chef had a prob w/too much grease seeping into the bread dough.  I think that was probably because they neglected to use "lean" meat as prompted by the recipe.  I really like this meal a lot.  I would recommend it in particular for those who believe that they do not in fact like Meat Loaf.  I like meat loaf fine, but this one is on another level.  If anyone decides to make it themselves def don't leave out the mushrooms, they def belong there in between the meatloaf and the sauce.  One taste and you'll know what I mean.  Recipe provided upon request.

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.38.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.39.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.40.42 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, PII said:

I made "Meatloaf Wellington w/Mushoom & Madeira Sauce"  I had this once a long time ago and the chef had a prob w/too much grease seeping into the bread dough.  I think that was probably because they neglected to use "lean" meat as prompted by the recipe.  I really like this meal a lot.  I would recommend it in particular for those who believe that they do not in fact like Meat Loaf.  I like meat loaf fine, but this one is on another level.  If anyone decides to make it themselves def don't leave out the mushrooms, they def belong there in between the meatloaf and the sauce.  One taste and you'll know what I mean.  Recipe provided upon request.

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.38.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.39.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.40.42 PM.png

Recipe please! 

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Recipe please! 

MEATLOAF WELLINGTON W/MUSHROOM & MADEIRA SAUCE

(note: The recipe is for 2 loaves.  I cut the recipe in half and used one of two puff pastry sheets that came in the box.)

[also note: If you beat up 1 egg and split it 50/50 you will have the 1.5 eggs needed for one loaf and the other half of egg can be used to brush the outer portion of the pastry before you put it in the oven.]

INGREDIENTS

3 Eggs

1/2 Cup Ketchup

2-1/2 Teaspoons Seasoned Salt

2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 Teaspoon Ground Mustard

1/8 Teaspoon Pepper

3/4 Pound Lean Ground Beef

3/4 Pound Each Ground Veal And Pork  (note: I picked up a package of Beef/Pork Mixed.  It said 80% Lean / 20% Fat, and I used 1-1/8 lbs. to make 1 Meat Loaf.  {I'm not big on creating more demand for dead baby cow, but that's just me.  Apparently it used to be common for people to buy all three of those meats in one package specifically intended for meat loaf and then they'd mix them all together...})

1/3 Cup Chopped Onion

3/4 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs

1 Package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed (Thaw time was 40 minutes at room temp for the one I picked up and it was easy to unfold and roll out.)

MADEIRA SAUCE

1/4 Cup Of Butter

5 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour

2 Cups Beef Consomme

1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste

1/4 Teaspoon Dried Thyme

1/4 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary, Crushed

1/4 Teaspoon Browning Sauce, Optional

Dash Of Clove Powder

1/2 Cup Madeira Wine (note: I read somewhere or other that dry Madeira is more typically used for cooking, however, I used sweet Madeira.)

2 Cups Sliced Fresh Mushrooms

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper.  Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.  Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently.  Shape into two loaves, about 9 in. x 3 in.  

On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18-in. x 16-in rectangle.  Invert meat loaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf.  Fold long sides over loaf and pastry; seal seams.  Place, seam side down, on a rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.  Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry.  Bake at 350˚ for 60-70 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160˚-170˚.

Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan.  Whisk in flour until smooth.  Stir in the consomme, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, browning sauce if desired and clove powder.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in wine.

In a skillet, sauté mushrooms in oil until tender.  Serve the mushrooms and sauce over meat loaf slices.  Yield: 2 meat loaves (5-6 servings each) and about 2-1/2 cups sauce.

The vegetables I just chopped and put in a bowl with some olive oil and seasoned salt, mixed em up and then put them on a baking pan and slid it in below the meatloaf about a quarter of the way through the meatloaf's bake time.  I crushed some garlic cloves in their skins for that as well.  Mainly I wanted to have some grilled parsnips with it because that seemed like a perfect accompaniment to me but ended up doing a mix: Parsnip, Carrot, Potato, Sweet Potato, Garlic, Onion.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1