Jump to content
IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Grill (June 2024)


Jeevan

Recommended Posts

  • The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Grill (June 2024)

We just got a grill! Just a classic Weber kettle, also a chimney to start the coal up. So far we've done steaks, burgers, kebobs, all kinds of veggies. I wanted to try lump coal off the bat but ended up getting the briquettes of jealous devil brand and it was really tasty. We've almost finished that bag and gonna try the lump next haha.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mandy and I grilled dinner tonight: pork tenderloin with a savory bourbon maple peach sauce complimented by grilled peaches, corn on the cob and broccoli rabe (which we both had never tried before) grilled lemon for the greens

spacer.png

Starting the grill up

spacer.png

Making the sauce: Red onion, garlic, vegetable stock(chicken would be good), peaches, fresh thyme sprigs, maple syrup, brown sugar, soy sauce, bourbon, butter, pepper

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The broccoli rabe was fairly bitter, the lemon helped a little, next time we try it we decided it could probably cook a little longer and hit with some balsamic but it was ok.

spacer.png

Slice of peach with the pork, oooooooo happy dance. Corn was also perrrfect.

Dessert is a peach and cherry crumble聽 Mandy made earlier today with vanilla ice cream (I saved half of one of my grilled peaches for that too bahah) nommmm

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Making the sauce: Red onion, garlic, peaches, fresh thyme sprigs, maple syrup, brown sugar, soy sauce, bourbon, butter聽

If you don't mind the request, do you know the quantities of each of these ingredients that you used? 聽

..Sounds/looks Soooo Good.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PII Sure! I'm just winging it but here goes:

Peach Maple Bourbon sauce by drxandy

Ingredients:

1/2 small red onion or shallot (about half a cup)聽

1 clove garlic

3 sprigs fresh thyme聽

2 ripe peaches, peeled and diced (can substitute frozen just thaw the equivalent of 2 peaches maybe 1 cup?)

2 tablespoons real maple syrup聽

2 tablespoons bourbon

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/3 cup chicken stock聽

Pinch of pepper

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

Start sauce pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil, bring to medium heat and add 1/2 red onion or 1 medium sized shallot diced fine

Make the onion translucent(2mins?) then add fine diced garlic and go another 2 minutes.

Add 1/3 chicken stock, the 2 diced peaches, and continue at medium heat

After 3-5 minutes add 1/2tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2tsp soy sauce, 2tbsp brown sugar, 2tbsp maple syrup,聽and 3 sprigs thyme. Continue cooking for 1-2minutes

Add 2tbs butter, 2tbs bourbon, pepper and cook another 4-5minutes until thickened, discard thyme sprigs

Edited by drxandy
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

i can't afford a nice propane grill, those cost a bunch yo.

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

we can't all be rich kids

We sure can't.聽

Honestly I hate barbecue. The condiments are sweet. The burgers are dry. It's a lot of fuckin work, in this modern age, just to apply heat. If you're making en masse everything gets cold and dry. And if you're cooking for fewer than 5-6 people it's just a ton of setup time for little if any extra return. I also have quite a bit of negative association.

I certainly don't have a grill of either kind. If I did, I would prefer propane, but only because it's more manageable. With charcoal it's also basically the difference between a bike and a car in terms of size, operation, and price.

So I ain't got nor want neither. But. I have a fire pit. So I've got an idea or two I think will be fun to participate.聽

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events HelperPosted
4 minutes ago, Link said:

Honestly I hate barbecue. The condiments are sweet. The burgers are dry. It's a lot of fuckin work, in this modern age, just to apply heat. If you're making en masse everything gets cold and dry. And if you're cooking for fewer than 5-6 people it's just a ton of setup time for little if any extra return. I also have quite a bit of negative association.

I don't like sauces all that much either.聽 You just can't overcook and need to keep an eye on everything to get juicy meat 馃槒.聽 Pork chops weren't dry, they were juicy on the inside, the burgers from the other day were juicy on the inside.聽 Steaks, just don't overcook your steak, med. rare or get out 馃ぃ.聽 Anywho, make some smores or something and or hot dogs if that is your thing.聽 Hope you get something delicious made on that there fire pit 馃檪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Propane is the way. 聽The convenience is what I crave. 聽
My old grill had rusted out a few years back so I鈥檇 gone a few years with only the grill plate on my ninja air fryer to 鈥済rill鈥 on. 聽Finally got a new one this spring. 聽I doubled down on propane and went with a 聽griddle

IMG_7721.jpeg.f787c5d27913b40aa657989af3591369.jpeg

No way I could go back to those stupid little slats now. 聽I鈥檓 never losing another shrimp through the thing again. 聽Veggies are a breeze and everything is just so easy to work with. 聽Love it.

I keep forgetting to take pics of actual grilling. 聽I鈥檒l remember eventually though

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ModeratorPosted
1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Propane is the way. 聽The convenience is what I crave. 聽
My old grill had rusted out a few years back so I鈥檇 gone a few years with only the grill plate on my ninja air fryer to 鈥済rill鈥 on. 聽Finally got a new one this spring. 聽I doubled down on propane and went with a 聽griddle

IMG_7721.jpeg.f787c5d27913b40aa657989af3591369.jpeg

No way I could go back to those stupid little slats now. 聽I鈥檓 never losing another shrimp through the thing again. 聽Veggies are a breeze and everything is just so easy to work with. 聽Love it.

I keep forgetting to take pics of actual grilling. 聽I鈥檒l remember eventually though

Blackstone鈥檚 are great. I grill a ton of smash burgers, philly鈥檚, hibachi, and breakfasts on mine. I also have a natural gas grill built into my pool bar where I grill steaks, chicken, corn on the cob, brats, frozen burgers, kabobs, etc鈥 They complement each other very well.聽

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Propane is the way. 聽The convenience is what I crave. 聽
My old grill had rusted out a few years back so I鈥檇 gone a few years with only the grill plate on my ninja air fryer to 鈥済rill鈥 on. 聽Finally got a new one this spring. 聽I doubled down on propane and went with a 聽griddle

IMG_7721.jpeg.f787c5d27913b40aa657989af3591369.jpeg

No way I could go back to those stupid little slats now. 聽I鈥檓 never losing another shrimp through the thing again. 聽Veggies are a breeze and everything is just so easy to work with. 聽Love it.

I keep forgetting to take pics of actual grilling. 聽I鈥檒l remember eventually though

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Blackstone鈥檚 are great. I grill a ton of smash burgers, philly鈥檚, hibachi, and breakfasts on mine. I also have a natural gas grill built into my pool bar where I grill steaks, chicken, corn on the cob, brats, frozen burgers, kabobs, etc鈥 They complement each other very well.聽

Lemme ask you guys this. Because I think I agree with the advantages you point out: is there a difference in this method aside from being located indoors or outside? Because I'm hearing advantages of a surface (flat top grill) rather than any big difference between fuel. You can light up charcoal and set a steel plate above it just as you can with a propane fire.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Link said:

Lemme ask you guys this. Because I think I agree with the advantages you point out: is there a difference in this method aside from being located indoors or outside? Because I'm hearing advantages of a surface (flat top grill) rather than any big difference between fuel. You can light up charcoal and set a steel plate above it just as you can with a propane fire.聽

聽I turn a knob and push a button and we are cooking. 聽This griddle has been super fuel efficient too. 聽Still on my first tank of the season and we鈥檝e used it a ton. 聽 Whatever amount of work charcoal is, I don鈥檛 have to do even that much and also no mess. 聽I hate dealing with ashes.聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hammerfestus said:

聽I turn a knob and push a button and we are cooking. 聽This griddle has been super fuel efficient too. 聽Still on my first tank of the season and we鈥檝e used it a ton. 聽 Whatever amount of work charcoal is, I don鈥檛 have to do even that much and also no mess. 聽I hate dealing with ashes.聽

I completely agree.聽

How do you compare this to a regular indoor gas stove?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Link said:

I completely agree.聽

How do you compare this to a regular indoor gas stove?

The big flat continuous heating surface is nice for working with a bunch of different items at once. 聽It鈥檚 kind of like cooking in a giant cast iron pan. 聽Needs seasoned and everything. 聽It鈥檚 also really easy to slide stuff that鈥檚 done over 聽to an unheated area to keep warm. 聽We actually had to replace our range this past weekend and at one point I considered whether or not I could boil water on the griddle lol. 聽I think I recall hearing that there are models with conventional stove style burners on the side.

Edited by Hammerfestus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Create New...