IGNORED

Anyone else feel this is better than NintendoAge?

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

Love seeing alot of the old timers and favorites pop in (@Commander Santa). Can't tell you how often I forget about the clubs and blogs though. Like I'm only seeing a quarter of the total content at any time.

I just use the "All Activity" feed and it works the charm. 

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I like the increased activity and better forum. I still miss the stupid little things like transactions, badges, the style/layout I'm used to.

Ditto this. I did like the badges but there were too many imo. I liked the series awards and a few others but way too many seemed just weird or nonsensical. Transactions were a great part of NA, and easy to see how a member's previous transactions and led to credibility. The layout here is fine, but because I was used to NA I'm slow to adapt. But tbh this forum has made me much more active, as I slowly trailed off when my personal life got busy back during the NA days. 

Also ditto someone's comment about not shoving WATA down our throats. Some of us, get this, don't care about sealed or graded games. I don't mind the occasion topic on those things but when they are stickied... really. Sticky important posts to everyone lol. But so far I wanna say that the VGS staff has done a great job! Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, jonebone said:

Yes, this VGS forum has been better than I could have imagined.  It sucks that I've lost all of my NA bookmarks but those are things I'd only reference once in a blue moon anyway.  For day to day activity and knowledge this forum has it all.  The extras functionalities does make NA seem fairly ancient too. 

I agree that the crowd here is great. Also echo how much it sucks that years worth of posts, forums, etc. are completely inaccessible. That really pisses me off. I am warming up to the format here, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss NA layout and the way the forums were organized etc. I think it was just easier. Maybe I don't appreciate the extra functionalities because I am a simpleton, especially when it comes to computers/tech. 

Like many of you, I am sad that NA is gone.  However, this new site feels like it has a lot of potential, and feels warmer and more welcoming than NA was anyway.  I know the site staff are putting in a lot of work to improve things, and the overall foundation feels way more user friendly.  I love that it is finally simple to just post a picture.

21 hours ago, TriHart said:

One thing I appreciate is the freshness of......everything. 

There's none of that "this discussion has already been talked about, refer to ancient thread XYZ that has been dead for ages."

Any topic at this point is up for grabs. That's pretty awesome! 

Agreed, the whole "just do a search," "did you do a search," etc thing really makes a forum feel unwelcoming.

Well kind of hard to answer this one I suppose as I was out of the mix for a few years technically.  Between then and the here and now I see a more relaxed environment, less vitriol about certain issues that used to be hot button pushy stuff.  There's a more active happier environment among those who made the jump or jumped back into the mix with an open welcome mat attached to it as it's all a fresh start.  The organization of the space seems a much smarter design layout for the forum sections, the inclusion of the discord is fantastic too.  The board is far more up to date and versatile and can add in all that stuff NA had on the backbone but without the bugs and quirks along with age of that custom mess showing too.  Yes there are missing bits, but anything I read including said post above mine, are in the works to be handled anyway.  I would think the only real loss would be the large data archives on all those games and those boxes and contents, some past news/stories people could poke back to, but that's really about it.  GoShmuck basically bought data, but lost the personal driven content and opinion value of people who made that place matter anyway because of their shady antics.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well kind of hard to answer this one I suppose as I was out of the mix for a few years technically.  Between then and the here and now I see a more relaxed environment, less vitriol about certain issues that used to be hot button pushy stuff.  There's a more active happier environment among those who made the jump or jumped back into the mix with an open welcome mat attached to it as it's all a fresh start.

What were you banned from NA for, anyway? And when? It was before I got there, but I’m not sure how long before, because when I did get there (early 2016 I think) I saw your posts in a lot of threads, and then less and less as time went on. They always seemed to be thoughtful and reasonable, so I could never figure that out.

Events Team · Posted

It's the community that makes these forums what they are.  I can't say this is better, because NintendoAge really introduced me to some great friends and facilitated some great interactions. 

So not better, but certainly a breath of fresh air.  NA was home.  Fortunately, thanks to the team and goodwill of the community, we still have a home.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:09 AM, Link said:

What were you banned from NA for, anyway? And when? It was before I got there, but I’m not sure how long before, because when I did get there (early 2016 I think) I saw your posts in a lot of threads, and then less and less as time went on. They always seemed to be thoughtful and reasonable, so I could never figure that out.

Not going to get into that situation as I see it one way, and some others see it another on how stuff unfolded so let's just leave that one dead and buried.  I think though it was 2014 so yea, old messages even by the time you got around by 1 1/2 years.

I had no issue with the old forum overall. However, the non mobile friendly layout was slightly frustrating, but understandable given it was custom created in a pre-mobile world. 

One huge benefit of the GC NA purchasing Saga was the simulateneous closing of all sister sites. This has now unified all collectors and content across multiple sites onto one forum now (vgs). While I'm a nintendo collector, I do like reading about other consoles, and it's great having everyone in the one place. 

NA had a reputation for having a high ban rate of members, and it was a little unsettling reading old posts and seeing the "banned" logo on people frequently. I'm not sure why this was the case. Other than occasional posts, I never interacted with the community, so wasnt sure if it was due to shady characters, or overzealous moderators or strict site rules (no disrespect to any NA mods who came across). 

Overall, vgs is certainly much better, keep up the great work team!

Edited by GreenKoopa
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 3:52 PM, Tanooki said:

Not going to get into that situation as I see it one way, and some others see it another on how stuff unfolded so let's just leave that one dead and buried.  

Thanks for answering regarding the timeline. I was curious just what the dispute was about, but, fair enough to forget about it. Glad to have you here and we will all go forward together.  

Sure, I definitely miss NA. I had a lot of good times there, and was around since the beginning, well even before then, to the surprise of some.

With that being said, I quite like VGS, and I took the attitude that since it was a new site, I'd take a new attitude, let bygones be bygones. I had a lot of heated debates and arguments with folks over on NA, and some may have even taken it personally (for me it was always sort of like driving, if a random cuts you off, you may be pissed in the moment, but if you see them a week later at the mall, then it's a totally different chance encounter, no need for ill-will), but at the end of the day, it's a bunch of people passionate about the same thing I'm passionate about. So I decided to let the drama in the past and focus on positive interactions here.