IGNORED

Anyone else feel this is better than NintendoAge?

On 11/21/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sega Genesis Sage said:

Agreed, the whole "just do a search," "did you do a search," etc thing really makes a forum feel unwelcoming.

Just my $.02 but allowing the same question over and over is a recipe for driving people that answer questions away and fragmenting the information into many places so it is harder to find.

Edit: I haven't had a chance to poke around yet, but I'm missing nerdy nights and the list of local game stores, hope those migrate if they haven't already

Edited by chromableedstudios
  • Like 1

Sorry, there is no comparison. One was an old dying dinosaur and the other is, well I think anything is better truthfully, but thankfully this is miles ahead of what NA was for some time. Uploading pics from mobile is very friendly. Search function works. Using this website is so much smoother and easier. It is unfair to compare, but it is no contest if you chose to compare. VGS wins easily. What I enjoy most about all this is the fact more people are popping up and there is actual activity on the site.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chromableedstudios said:

Just my $.02 but allowing the same question over and over is a recipe for driving people that answer questions away and fragmenting the information into many places so it is harder to find.

Edit: I haven't had a chance to poke around yet, but I'm missing nerdy nights and the list of local game stores, hope those migrate if they haven't already

It's this and other kinds of similar choices that set the tone of a forum. Allow the questions, and you risk annoying long time members, but you have a lot of new members coming in and a more active community. Don't allow the questions, and you have a more loyal base of hardcore posters, but much less new blood. It's up to the mods the kind of community they want to make.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 3:44 PM, Sega Genesis Sage said:

It's this and other kinds of similar choices that set the tone of a forum. Allow the questions, and you risk annoying long time members, but you have a lot of new members coming in and a more active community. Don't allow the questions, and you have a more loyal base of hardcore posters, but much less new blood. It's up to the mods the kind of community they want to make.

I personally don't see an issue with new topics being shown the link to an existing thread. It makes for efficient storage and reference of information. But, it's important to keep the new topic with point link, as it help people find the actual thread. 

That being said, there is a nice way it should be done. From what I recall an NA, this was done in a nice way also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenKoopa said:

I personally don't see an issue with new topics being shown the link to an existing thread. It makes for efficient storage and reference of information. But, it's important to keep the new topic with point link, as it help people find the actual thread. 

That being said, there is a nice way it should be done. From what I recall an NA, this was done in a nice way also. 

The issue I have with it is that those links often end up being dead links if there's an inevitable change in forum ownership, software, etc. Isn't there a bunch of dead Nintendoage links out there now because GoCollect was sloppy with the migration? To me, there are few things more frustrating than Googling something, having the exact question come up in a forum post, and then the answer being given as a now dead link. Is it really that hard to copy paste the answer, as well as the link? 

1 hour ago, Sega Genesis Sage said:

Is it really that hard to copy paste the answer, as well as the link?

On topics with any sort of depth that could be ten pages of discussion and opinion.

I guess I grew up in the catb how to ask questions sort of forums where a technically correct but gruff answer is more typical than friendly chatter. That doesn't have to be every forum, but I think technical folks tend to lean that way.

I guess my tldr is, I don't think it's particularly rude to point to the last five times a starting soldering iron thread was posted(get the fx888), not that you have to lock or anything (although without context sometimes tone is difficult to ascertain).

45 minutes ago, chromableedstudios said:

On topics with any sort of depth that could be ten pages of discussion and opinion.

I guess I grew up in the catb how to ask questions sort of forums where a technically correct but gruff answer is more typical than friendly chatter. That doesn't have to be every forum, but I think technical folks tend to lean that way.

I guess my tldr is, I don't think it's particularly rude to point to the last five times a starting soldering iron thread was posted(get the fx888), not that you have to lock or anything (although without context sometimes tone is difficult to ascertain).

I don't think there's any question that typically gets asked on a videogame forum that requires 10 pages of detail, even scientific papers have summaries. 

I also grew up on those kinds of forums, I don't mind, I have thick skin, but most people don't and that kind of attitude drives a lot of people away. I've seen it happen on multiple forums.

You may not personally think it's rude, but a lot of people do.

And a lot of people in communities (online and IRL) consider it rude to come in asking a lot of questions without “lurking” first. 

I see both sides of it and am offended by neither, but there seems to be inherently a push and pull in this type of discussion.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:44 PM, Sega Genesis Sage said:

For a repeated question, usually we'll try to link the existing thread so the new person can join in the existing discussion so you don't have splintered information about.

And it's not a "USE THE SEARCH YA DUMDUM", it's more of a "we do have an ongoing discussion here in this link, pore through and ask away" attitude.   I reserve my dickery for dicks.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
Just now, DpadDanny said:

I like the format of the new forum, as well as the ability to react to people's comments. I'd be lying though if I said I didn't miss the badges.

Badges are a thing we have, we're just working on how exactly we want to implement them right now (as well as how we want them to look).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1