IGNORED

Anyone else feel this is better than NintendoAge?

I think what i like is almost by definition, everyone here, actually wants to be here.  NA has some cool dudes, but some were prickly legacy guys that didn't make the migration.  

Plus i was annoyed at how GoCollect and Dain handled that whole transition and death of NA - so its refreshing to see the core put forth the effort to recreate the forum here.  Thanks to all who helped contribute to this.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

It's a sure thing that this place is a whole lot better than that other wreck of a forum the GoCollect team offered in a rush, but it is also true that VGS is much more vibrant right now than was the former NA forum in the end. I'm sure everyone appreciate a new fresh start as it is, but the way almost all the active part of the community moved here together sent a very positive message to everyone. We're all happy of the transition and we're all happy to move forward with one another I guess. It is also a big plus to see so many faces reappearing again and being active after years of staying quiet on the side.

And about those 'prickly legacy guys', we'll keep our arms open whenever they want to hop on board, I don't think anyone feels like they'll have to kneel the proper way to be welcomed here, the door is open just like for anybody else.

• Like 1

I still miss the old NA and the vast archive but I admit the site was starting to feel clunky and outdated. I'm surprised how many new features were added to this site. Adding emoji's, pictures, and polls is so much easier now. Plus you get notifications when someone replies and you can now "React" to someone's post. The site designers clearly had a vision in mind.

We are still missing a few veterans like Braveheart and a few women like Daria but hopefully they make the jump over.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, austin532 said:

We are still missing a few veterans like Braveheart and a few women like Daria but hopefully they make the jump over.

I think I saw Braveheart post in the sealed collecting forum.

Daria's been pretty busy with her YouTube channel, so she wasn't posting much lately. Hope she does show up at some point.

• Like 1

Same chill people, better forum technology, and a SSL cert. I’m an anomaly, I always forgot about the database part of NA and really just treated it as a forum, so this site has been perfect for me. Mostly everything I need video game data wise I can find on the internet, which does a better job curating data than any one website would ever be able to do. I still argue against this site maintaining anything but forum where people can communicate and ask each other about weird one offs and find whatever other data out on the web. 

edit: I did prefer the private topics to the clubs thing but I’m getting used to it. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Yes, this VGS forum has been better than I could have imagined.  It sucks that I've lost all of my NA bookmarks but those are things I'd only reference once in a blue moon anyway.  For day to day activity and knowledge this forum has it all.  The extras functionalities does make NA seem fairly ancient too. 

• Like 2

Just goes to show it's the people that make a community. Not the name or the location. The community has spoken. I could throw some rocks on everything that happened but I will simply say that change is good and we are exactly where we are meant to be. Welcome to the SAGE!!! 🙂 

Edited by Sign Collector Guy
  • Like 4

VGS has a ton of great features, but the navigation is much more challenging for me.  Not having a real "Latest Topics" button (yes, I know about the custom activity stream 🙂 ) makes it very hard to actually see what topics are new and feel like I'm not missing stuff.  I understand this is a constraint of the system, so I don't expect it to change, and hopefully I'll be able to adapt over time so the site feels more comfortable to use.

The forum itself is better. Finally it's easy to attach images to a post! That was always such a hassle on NA. VGS is definitely better than NA towards the end of its life, but I think we still have a ways to go before the population and activity level reaches NA of its formative years. That said this forum has definitely rejuvenated my interest in talking about games and such as I was pretty much fading out of NA completely before VGS was a thing.

• Like 1

I like the increased activity and better forum. I still miss the stupid little things like transactions, badges, the style/layout I'm used to. NA was dying though, it's nice to have this place being actively worked on.

The dead bookmarks and links are killing me. I didn't realize how many site:nintendoage.com searches I made to bring up an old thread I know has good info in it. It was A LOT.

53 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I like the increased activity and better forum. I still miss the stupid little things like transactions, badges, the style/layout I'm used to. NA was dying though, it's nice to have this place being actively worked on.

The dead bookmarks and links are killing me. I didn't realize how many site:nintendoage.com searches I made to bring up an old thread I know has good info in it. It was A LOT.

I could have typed out the exact same response.

This is a better forum regarding software, but there were little, personal touches that made NA "better'.  We also are all aware of the loss of the database.  I mean, I think the time was right to do something new, and the change of the forum software was only motivation to do it.  Still, NA was awesome.

Honestly, I miss the old-school NA from back in the day. It was very active and felt like a close-knit group of people. 

That said, NA hasn't felt like that to me in a long time. And whatever that GoCollect thing that occurred was an abomination. This site is fresh and seems to be the start of something similar. I'm resistant to change, but working on it 🙂

It's growing on me quite a bit, especially the modern functions.  I really like that the high-level layout of NA was mostly retained, made for a smoother transition IMO.

I will sorely miss the transaction tracker, feedback tracker, and the scoreboard/AVS functionality.  The databases were never a biggie for me.

Yes, I echo heavily the feelings of not having WATA shoved down my throat - that is refreshing.