IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Rad Racer

BeaIank

On 8/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've also hit a tree, a guardrail and a fence so I'm going to need crash ratings on those too.

No one appreciates bad drivers like I do. Im envious of your attorney. Beautiful day here in MO today, doug. No reason to be suffering through those Cinci winters. 

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure why they thought that was a good idea. It sucked back in 1987.

Naw, it was made for the real (powered) 3D glasses that they chose not to bother releasing over here; it wasn't designed for the cardboard glasses, so don't knock it until you've actually played it the way the programmers intended for it to be played...  😉

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Naw, it was made for the real (powered) 3D glasses that they chose not to bother releasing over here; it wasn't designed for the cardboard glasses, so don't knock it until you've actually played it the way the programmers intended for it to be played...  😉

I didn't even know powered glasses were a thing. I just remember trying it with the carboard ones that came in the box and instantly going back to playing the game without them.

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

No one appreciates bad drivers like I do. Im envious of your attorney. Beautiful day here in MO today, doug. No reason to be suffering through those Cinci winters. 

The winters really are lousy here. Plus being right across from the Ohio river, I require an attorney that's licensed to practice on Ohio and Kentucky and he's not cheap. I've been to St. Louis and the old Busch Stadium, of course it was so long ago that Ozzie Smith was still the shortstop. As good as he was, I still think Barry Larkin was the better overall player.

13 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure why they thought that was a good idea. It sucked back in 1987.

It's a cool idea. To make it work with the cardboard glasses, they would have needed to make the colors a lot lighter.

I make 3d comic books like this one: https://bit.ly/3dcomic so I know how to make it work.

1 hour ago, G-type said:

It's a cool idea. To make it work with the cardboard glasses, they would have needed to make the colors a lot lighter.

I make 3d comic books like this one: https://bit.ly/3dcomic so I know how to make it work.

That's pretty cool. Too bad they couldn't pull it off like that when this game came out.

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I assume you're referring to the Famicom 3d system, which used Active Shutter glasses. Those work by alternated which lens is open and flickering between the two images on the screen. It wouldn't require the red/blue (anaglyphic 3d), which accomplishes the same thing by color filtration method. Active shutter would look better because the colors would not have to be altered. The method used in movie theatres these days is with polarized lenses, projecting overlapping images with vertical and horizontal polarities. The drawback to this method, is that the lenses also filter out a percentage of the light, resulting in a noticeably darker image.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The winters really are lousy here. Plus being right across from the Ohio river, I require an attorney that's licensed to practice on Ohio and Kentucky and he's not cheap. I've been to St. Louis and the old Busch Stadium, of course it was so long ago that Ozzie Smith was still the shortstop. As good as he was, I still think Barry Larkin was the better overall player.

Larkin > The Wizard of Oz? Laughable. And thats why Ozzie was starting ss for national league in the all star game every year. Met Ozzie at a bar once. Very approachable and friendly. 

Also, old busch and new busch are night and day different. Jokes aside about moving, it would be worth a weekend trip to stl to see reds play stl here. Not just the stadium, but downtown Stl in that area has gotten a lot nicer overall 

21 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Larkin > The Wizard of Oz? Laughable. And thats why Ozzie was starting ss for national league in the all star game every year. Met Ozzie at a bar once. Very approachable and friendly. 

Also, old busch and new busch are night and day different. Jokes aside about moving, it would be worth a weekend trip to stl to see reds play stl here. Not just the stadium, but downtown Stl in that area has gotten a lot nicer overall 

Larkin as at least on par defensively since he started winning gold gloves when Ozzie got older. Larkin was a way better overall hitter and the first shortstop to have a 30/30 season. The ironic thing is that the Reds picked before the Yankees in the 1992 draft and could have had a middle infield of Derek Jeter and Barry Larkin for 15+ years, but instead they took Chad Mottola who only played in 35 games for the Reds in 1996. That's almost as bad as the Bengals taking John Ross one pick ahead of Patrick Mahomes in 2017.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

31 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Larkin as at least on par defensively since he started winning gold gloves when Ozzie got older. 

Thats exactly why he was NOT on par defensively. He didn't start winning those gold gloves til ozzie was old enough to be out of the way. Ozzie was still doing backflips before every game though even in his old age. Seeing pregrame ozzie backflips used to be one of the most iconic things about going to busch stadium. As a kid, that was cooler/bigger than meeting fredbird

Edited by NESfiend

16 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Thats exactly why he was NOT on par defensively. He didn't start winning those gold gloves til ozzie was old enough to be out of the way. Ozzie was still doing backflips before every game though even in his old age. Seeing pregrame ozzie backflips used to be one of the most iconic things about going to busch stadium. As a kid, that was cooler/bigger than meeting fredbird

I saw him do the pregame backflip. That was the one thing I saw him do better than Barry Larkin. Ozzie had a .262 career average with 28 home runs. Barry Larkin hit .295 and had five more home runs in 1996 than Ozzie had in his 19 year career. Barry also had 167 more RBIs and a MVP award. They were both gold glove shortstops so how is it even close? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1125646-ozzie-smith-vs-barry-larkin-whos-the-better-major-league-shortstop.amp.html