IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros!

BeaIank

17 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I know how you feel but trust me it’s so satisfying to finally figure it out on your own. I’m at that 110k range with my current strat. Ole glovesie figured it out a bit. Keep looking. Keep playing. Sometimes it will smack you in the face. Some guys will reveal their secrets at the cost of everyone knowing for future contest.

I read this in ric flairs tear in my eye promo voice

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't understand where you guys are getting these points.  My best run knowing what I currently know might be able to break 110k.  I know I miss points not going for some coins and even some 1k items, but if I go for too many of those, I know it's gonna hurt the clock.

When this competition is over, you guys in the lead need to post some videos if no for the sake of curiosity alone.  With out turtle-hop cheating, I can't imagine getting 140k.  (Not calling y'all cheaters.  I just don't see where the points are coming from.)

I'm still trying to beat it without dying.

Administrator · Posted
57 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't understand where you guys are getting these points.  My best run knowing what I currently know might be able to break 110k.  I know I miss points not going for some coins and even some 1k items, but if I go for too many of those, I know it's gonna hurt the clock.

When this competition is over, you guys in the lead need to post some videos if no for the sake of curiosity alone.  With out turtle-hop cheating, I can't imagine getting 140k.  (Not calling y'all cheaters.  I just don't see where the points are coming from.)

Part of the issue will be that some of it is RNG, and far as I can tell the "tricks" for higher scores are just that - tricks. I'm also not sure how to bridge the gap between my score and PII's, but I was surprised to find a glitch on world 1 which gave me a significant boost. Going fast adds up, too; really nailing the speedrun aspect can get you a fair little chunk.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Part of the issue will be that some of it is RNG, and far as I can tell the "tricks" for higher scores are just that - tricks. I'm also not sure how to bridge the gap between my score and PII's, but I was surprised to find a glitch on world 1 which gave me a significant boost. Going fast adds up, too; really nailing the speedrun aspect can get you a fair little chunk.

Well, I can get through 1-1 by 326 for the most timer points AND getting the fireworks.  If I optimized my current run, knowing what I know, I can get 42,000 in 1-1.  I have a screenshot of getting 41,000.  I'm thinking, maybe, my problem is with 1-2 or 1-3.  There's not much to 1-4.  And you all saying that the time matters in 1-4, I don't really see how.  I can speed run straight to Bowser on that one nearly blindfolded and shoot off 5-6 fireballs in no time flat.  It's basically useless for extra points.

But I speed run all the stages, including a couple of "tricks" in 1-2 that rack up points.  I just need to experiment with trying to build certain point in certain areas.  Maybe I'm missing something because I'm trying to optimize getting every possible point while going fast.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

If I optimized my current run, knowing what I know, I can get 42,000 in 1-1.

I can get over 50k in 1-1.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

And you all saying that the time matters in 1-4

I never said that! >_>

1-4 you wanna grab all the hidden coins and make sure you kill Bowser w/ fire - that's about it on that level.

Just now, Gloves said:

I can get over 50k in 1-1.

I never said that! >_>

1-4 you wanna grab all the hidden coins and make sure you kill Bowser w/ fire - that's about it on that level.

Ok, I'll explore 1-1 one better.  I don't think it was you (maybe @docile tapeworm) but I mentioned that time didn't matter in 1-4 and someone said "oh yes it does."

I was skipping the fire flower and the coins, but that's an extra 2,200.  Not bad.  Ok, I think I know how to get toward the 120-122k range. 140s still feels insane.

Oh, and I've avoided allowed turtle hops because at best I'll probably be able to nail that 1-5 times, and that doesn't stack well for the multiple opportunities. I  just hit them once and let them clear out enemies where that's possible.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves “glitch” or “trick” I always think of a “glitch” as going through walls you’re not supposed to be able to. Where I think of a “trick” like manipulating patterns.

Mmmmmm. I'd posit that the trick in 1-1 might be technically a glitch. I'm bypassing the intended logic of the game.

• Like 1

New score posted— 108,200.  Man, I missed 5,000 on a flag pole and got 2,000.  Had I not made that one mistake, that would have been a lot better.  It will be tough for me to beat this unless I crack the code on 1-1 and 1-2, but I’m happy with this.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
27 minutes ago, RH said:

New score posted— 108,200.  Man, I missed 5,000 on a flag pole and got 2,000.  Had I not made that one mistake, that would have been a lot better.  It will be tough for me to beat this unless I crack the code on 1-1 and 1-2, but I’m happy with this.

I'm always happy to share, but the cost is... You must ask. 😜